Just bought a lc100 from copart, here is my expirence (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, guys, I am new here and looking for purchasing a LC100 FOR A long time, during the searching time I post two theme here and got a lot of replys , thank you.
here is my last two posts.
Thanks for those replys, I read them many times.
today, I just towed back my LC100, which is a 2003 model.
I will post all the build items later, today I just share some thoughts and experience about Copart and IAAI auction.
1 why buy LC from insurance auction
why not, it is cheaper, easier and fair price.
There are many LC, LX on copart and IAA auction, first, clean title cars. second, salvage titles cars with light damage, third, salvage cars with bad damage , mecannical problems, or flood cars. I only buy salvage cars with light damage and a good services record. I did not consider the resale value, I will keep my lc as long as I can.
2 how to buy LC/LX from them
use a broker.
only PA and WI do not need a broker lisence as far as I know
3 price, at those time, used car price are insane.
there are so many fees add on the auction price.
for example, I bid this LC for $5200, but at last I paid $6500
4 how is the service of copart
SUCKS, they do not allow to preview on monday and wendsday, and each preview day there is a limitation for preview. all those important regulations they do not post on the website.
I come to them on wensday first time, and then thursday but I use a broker account to preview the car, they let me apply a personal member account and pay 59 annual fee. after I did all that they said, they told me that today's preview is over, it meet the limitation....
So, I did not preview the car, after recheck the photos on their web, I bid the car next monday, lucky? I think it likes a gamble, I am so nervious about the frame rust, fortunitely, this frame is fine.
besides, they use fork car to move the car, if there are 5 people preview the car, which was moved 5 times, and it very easy to damage the bumper and frame, my bumper was damaged.
The IAA sames a little better, they let people go to the site preview the car and they have the video of engine running.
do you guys have other experience?
P.S. Today, I wait 3 hours to pick up the car. they use another app, "copart transportation" to make the reservation only for picking up.

IMG_5695.jpg

IMG_5696.jpg

IMG_5697.jpg

IMG_5698.jpg

lc.jpg

IMG_5481.jpg

Great summary of your experience, thank you for sharing this. I have often wondered how it is to use the auction.

Any reason why they decided to just like scoop it up with a giant machine. Hope they didn't bang anything up on the underside. Otherwise, good looking rig hope to see more soon.

my local copart is different in how they operate.
I can go in and look at the rig as long as it is posted with an auction date, no date no looky
they just let me in the yard and once in I can look at anything but I go to the row/lot # and look all over it.
I have my own account so no broker used
the fees do add up

$6500 for an '03 is dirt cheap. How many miles on it? Bodywork and interior looks clean. The outer tail lights are aftermarket and not for an '03 (looks like '98-'02 LX). They should match the inner tail light like below. Post some pics of the undercarriage.

If it's a decent moderate levels of rust underneath, that's a pretty good deal in my books.

yes, always been wondering about the fork lift bit. In a junkyard, sure, but for cars that are planned to be used? There is a lot of stuff dangling down there that can be crushed or bent....

The giant forklift is how IAA brought me my practically new Jeep Rubicon that had two rods through the oil pan back in 2003. This one was a "flood" car. I don't recall paying many fees, but I did use a friends dealership account to place and win the bid. I still have this Jeep and could probably sell it today for more than I paid for it in 2003.
1644006432798.png

Nice score on the 100 @yi2936. Looks like you bought well!

I had a dealer tell me that Alabama passed a law requiring insurance carriers to ”total” repaired vehicles if repairs weren’t performed to the insured’s satisfaction. I’m not sure if this will carry over to other states,but if it does the salvage title business will explode….

There is a copart right down the street from me. I need to see if I can go check it out without a dealer license. I think in WA you can buy salvaged or rebuilt titled cars without a license but you can't but clean titled resellable cars.

Also, am I just seeing things or is the fender not lined up right?

1644042661709.png

All these insurance auto auctions use forklifts to move the cars around. I used to transport cars and picked up from the auctions all the time, it's sad to see them obviously damage the car as they load/unload them from the forks.

My particular experience when I purchased one from Copart was that I was able to view the car, anytime, mon-fri. You check in at reception and they even let you have the key so you can start it up and inspect the car, unsupervised. I almost bid on a really nice LX470 until I noticed the heater T's were missing along with the coolant :blackeye:

I would be seriously bummed if I inspected a car, won it, and it got damaged later on on loading...

Update 1 Problem found
the fender was damaged, like @shtbrwn86 mentioned, that is why it was totalled.
IMG_5720.jpg

second
the valve head gasket is leaking
IMG_5721.jpg

third
one of the ignition coil seal was lost, the toyota dealer replaced the spark in 2019, it must have been lost by them
Where can I find the part, mcgeorge or partsouq only have the whole igniton coil.

InkedIMG_5951_LI.jpg

and of course , copart fork lift damaged the from bumper.

InkedIMG_5697 (1)_LI.jpg

Last edited:
was it totaled? salvage title?
fender and inner fender don't seem like enough damage to warrant it being totaled
any other damage?

Update 1 Problem found
the fender was damaged, like @shtbrwn86 mentioned, that is why it was totalled.
View attachment 2949869

second
the valve head gasket is leaking
View attachment 2949872

third
one of the ignition coil seal was lost, the toyota dealer replaced the spark in 2019, it must have been lost by them
Where can I find the part, mcgeorge or partsouq only have the whole igniton coil.

View attachment 2949876

and of course , copart fork lift damaged the from bumper.

View attachment 2949883
You can buy a Denso boot kit from Rockauto for $30. It has all the rubber parts for all 8 coils.

Update 2
Valve cover gasket replacement and fender repair.
91EBE7FD-E212-4048-A413-7ABDA6717210.jpeg

I am trying to fix the fender instead of replace it.

1030D325-788A-4089-B30E-38876674FBA7.jpeg

Thanks @Bisho , I bought one from Amazon
82000DDD-6CAA-4E61-A4F5-F44EB3BB7E0A.png

21950FE9-832B-4E24-A34A-53FB219CD5B1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom