June Hurricane Creek Trip - June 15th-17th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In lieu of recent events (@GLTHFJ60 blowing up Moonshine's transfer case at GSMTR..doh!) I will be accepting the honor of leading ONSC, UC, and LCLC through the mountains of NC and TN for the annual June Hurricane Creek trip.

This is an Expo style trip in which self-reliance is the subject: Limited/no bathrooms, no gas stops, no showers, no guaranteed camping sites as we will be miles from paved roads at times. We will be seeing a mixture of mostly gravel roads, some paved, and even some 4x4 only roads. Along the way you can expect short mountain hikes, scenic views, refreshing mountain streams, cool nights spent around a campfire and maybe a bear or two. Expectations are that any Toyota with 4WD will do fine on the terrain we'll be covering. (Read here: You don't need lockers, a lift, mud tires, etc.)

As far as equipment, gear, etc., those attending will coordinate so we don't have more than 2 of most things (campstoves, etc) and yet ensure we have firewood, tarps, rope, saws, shovels, potable water, etc. At a minimum, an attendee would need a lightweight sleeping bag, tent, and cooler/fridge, and $ for the group meals.

Like last year this trip will be open and limited to 6paid members of ONSC, 6 paid members of UC, and 6 paid members of LCLC. We require that attendees have an active membership before signing up to give our contributing club members a fair shot, given the fact that these trips are extremely popular and that they are official events. PM me with any questions or clarifications needed.

We'll meet around 11:00-12:00 at the Sierra Nevada brewery in Asheville for lunch Friday June 15th. After lunch, we'll head down the road to HC and make our way up to camp. More trip details to come.

Update:
This trip is on Father’s Day weekend, even more reason you to get out there with the kids! The trip is a family friendly trip and we encourage bringing the kids as well as WELL-behaved dogs. Out of respect for the entire group, if your dog cannot behave unleashed around other dogs and people (especially children) please do not bring them.

Here is the tentative plan (subject to change based on weather, attendance, and availability). We will make our way to camp at Wolf Creek Falls on Friday night. Here you can expect to relax and enjoy a small private campsite and waterfall, and depends on who shows up, possibly a late night acoustic serenade around the campfire. Saturday we will make all efforts to depart the camp by 11am and work our way back down to Max Patch Mountain for a hike to the top where we can hang out for a bit. This is a great place for the kids, dogs, and flying kites! After here we will spend about 3 hours or so on a traverse through Martha Sundquist to Stone Mountain and back. Depending on group size we may head south across I-40 instead of back to Martha Sundquist to camp at another riverside campsite off Longarm Mountain. Sunday morning we will pack up and work our way toward the interstate and hit a couple more must-see spots on the way out.

Planning ahead for dinner on Friday and Saturday night, we typically do a potluck. Let’s hear some ideas on what we should do for those 2 nights? Once we come to a conclusion on what we will be eating, post up what you will bring to contribute.

Sign-ups

ONSC
1. Adam Ricci (@AJR)
2. Eric Forrest (@forrest5000)
James Urquhart (@jamesurq)
4. Chris Eby (@ceby)
5. Steve Eby (@aquatech3)
6. Marshall (@Trollhole)

UC
1. David Johnson (@ikanclim)
2. Bill Wright (@BillWright)
3. Bryan Ray (@Bryanseye)
4. Daniel McOrmond (@dmark84)
5. Rob McGuire (@IcutYourCruiser)
6. Toby Grove (@Tincan93)

LCLC
1. Erik Carlson (@ErikinSC)
Jeff Taylor (@JToobe)

Wait List:

Last edited:
Whohoo! Not happy about missing this trip, but Chris did a heck of a recon trip a month or so ago, so he's got some special things planned.

Thanks for taking the lead on this for me bro!

I’m in

Count me in.

Update posted

I hope so...Steve is still undecided. I know he wants to go. He needs to get that PS Pump installed this week!

Are you really taking up to 18 rigs? :)

I will be bringing my LX which has a onboard hot water shower system if anyone needs a shower. Gonna bring a 100’ hose to try out my fresh water stream pickup. Pretty sure wolf creek had a stream close to camp that my 55 almost ended up in.

I am going to bring my smoker and we will have the big camp chef stove as well. It may be easier for people to fend for themselves rather than coordinating the potluck this late in the game. So if you have something to smoke or grill, bring it and throw it on.

Weather was awesome last weekend. Trails were wet but not sloppy.

South of 40 was open up to the roost and onto the tn 1st exit. Pigeon river crossing was flowing well but crossable. Did not get to check on longarm mtn or hurricane creek. Lookout mtn road was open from the loop back from paint creek to 25/70 Not sure about round mtn to del rio but aounds like youll stay more south on this one.

Just a reminder to take warm clothes. My eagle scoutness had a failing moment and it was actually pretty darn chilly sat and sun mornings.

A2B10A2D-BAF2-4A90-8A57-7A87A427C528.jpeg

Have fun.

sorry for the short notice but I can’t make it. Life gets in the way. Well, dogs actually.... but that’s another story.

Very excited to see how your run goes. We are going first week of July, so let us know of any problem spots, or things we should plan to do.

Cheers,

There is a long line for beer at Sierra Nevada Brewery.... get here early.

Or ask for @jvalex for better service !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom