HAMOM - Sat, Feb 17th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
@aquatech3 will be in Raleigh next weekend and @Fort Knox wants to do some troubleshooting on his 40; so good excuse for a HAMOM at my place. So far, @GLTHFJ60 & @Hokie LX are in.

Date: February 17
Time: 3pm

I have plenty of IPA left over from the last HAMOM, so if you don't like IPA and there will be a couple of cases of Bud Light. We will likely order some pizza or grill out. Feel free to bring snacks. We'll have a fire going, so if anyone wants to bring wood, that would be greatly appreciated.

Plenty of space for camping on my property if anyone wants to stay the night.

Last edited:
@aquatech3 will be in Raleigh next weekend and @Fort Knox wants to do some troubleshooting on his 40; so good excuse for a HAMOM at my place. So far, @GLTHFJ60 & @Hokie LX are in.

Date: February 17
Time: 3pm

I have plenty of IPA left over from the last HAMOM, so if you don't like IPA, make sure you bring whatever it is you want to drink. We will likely order some pizza. Feel free to bring snacks. We'll have a fire going, so if anyone wants to bring wood, that would be greatly appreciated.

Plenty of space for camping on my property if anyone wants to stay the night.
I wish I could help but I'm standing the walls on my shop that weekend. Post lots of photos please.

Out of town that weekend. Looking forward to the next one.

I’m really tempted. I need to get back out, plus I kinda know a thing or 2 about 40 series.

Still really tempted? I'll supply the beer (Bud heavy?)!

Room for one more? I moved to NC last year but haven't gotten a chance to meet any local LC folks yet. Unfortunately I don't know anything about 40s, but happy to help however

Always room for one more!

Thanks to everyone that made it out. We had a blast.

IMG_0615 Small.jpeg

IMG_0617 Small.jpeg

IMG_0618 Small.jpeg

IMG_0619 Small.jpeg

IMG_0624 Small.jpeg

Likely needs a new accelerator pump was our diagnosis.
Carb issues 🙄 sometimes the squirter nozzle itself gets clogged, so I’d check that. Also could be an issue with the 2 check balls (one below the pump, one in the bottom of the squirter nozzle side) although that’s no very common. If I’m not mistaken that was a Trollhole carb that sat on the shelf for a couple years? I wouldn’t be surprised if the accelerator pump was a little dried up and not sealing. Sometimes a little grease on it will help it seal again and come back to life if it’s actually used and doesn’t just sit. 🤷🏼‍♂️ just my 2 cents with minimal info. Wish I could have been there to help

Yeah, it's a Trollhole carb that I won in one of our raffles. It sat for a couple years and we swapped it in. It's odd, because the issue actually started back when I had the stock Aisin carb on the truck. We swapped it out for the THC carb and it seemed better at first, but that may have just been a placebo. Could be that the stock accelerator pump went bad on my old carb and like Rob said, the AP on the "new" carb was dried up from sitting.

@IcutYourCruiser - Do you know if the accelerator pumps on the THC carbs are rubber or leather? I hear that ethanol in the gas can eat up the rubber ones. I plan on changing it out either way, since the symptoms definitely seem to point to it being the culprit.

IIRC you can put OEM leather accelerator pumps in the trollhole carbs. Same with secondary diaphragms.

IIRC you can put OEM leather accelerator pumps in the trollhole carbs. Same with secondary diaphragms.

The top has to come off of the carb to replace the accelerator pump, right? Can't just disconnect the pump arm linkage and take off the boot and pull it out through the top?

The top has to come off of the carb to replace the accelerator pump, right? Can't just disconnect the pump arm linkage and take off the boot and pull it out through the top?
Top will have to come off. I'm pretty sure the Keyster kit comes with a leather pump...at least it used to. It's been a while since I have rebuilt one, but I want to say that I got a Keyster kit from NAPA and it seemed to be better quality than most.

I fought off-idle stumbles with my old early trollhole carb for a couple of years in the Crockpot. Replaced a lot of fiddly bits to no avail. I decided to bite the bullet and pick up a Cityracer Fuji carb and it has worked flawlessly ever since. I have one in my 60 as well. Highly recommend.

Like DR said above, yes the "air horn" has to come off of the carb. It's pretty easy to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom