Hurricane Creek Trip: August 11-13th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fj40alex

SILVER Star
Threads
August - best time to find some elevation and escape some heat. Quick repost from prior trips for those new to HC, Max Patch, and surrounding area.

This is an Expo style trip in which self-reliance is the subject: Limited/no bathrooms, no gas stops, no showers, no guaranteed camping sites as we will be miles from paved roads at times. We will be seeing a mixture of mostly gravel roads, some paved, and even some 4x4 only roads. Along the way you can expect short mountain hikes, scenic views, refreshing mountain streams, cool nights spent around a campfire and maybe a bear or two.
Expectations are that any Toyota with 4WD will do fine on the terrain we'll be covering. (Read here: You don't need lockers, a lift, mud tires, etc.).

As far as equipment, gear, etc., those attending will coordinate so we don't have more than 2 of most things (campstoves, etc) and yet ensure we have firewood, tarps, rope, saws, shovels, potable water, etc. At a minimum, an attendee would need a lightweight sleeping bag, tent, and cooler/fridge.

This trip will be open and limited to 8 paid members of ONSC and/or Upstate Cruisers. We require that attendees have an active membership before signing up to give our contributing club members a fair shot, given the fact that these trips are extremely popular and that they are official events. PM me with any questions or clarifications needed.

We'll meet at 11:30 on Friday the 11th in Fletcher for lunch at:
Sierra Nevada Taproom & Restaurant
100 Sierra Nevada Way, Fletcher, NC 28732
sierranevada.com

Sierra Nevada Asheville Brewery - Asheville, NC Taproom

Our Asheville, NC Taproom is the perfect location for craft beer & brewery food. Find Sierra Nevada Asheville Taproom menu, hours, online ordering & more!
sierranevada.com

sierranevada.com
After lunch, we'll head down the road to HC and make our way up to camp.

The trip is a family friendly trip and we encourage bringing the kids as well as WELL-behaved dogs. Out of respect for the entire group, if your dog cannot behave unleashed around other dogs and people (especially children) please do not bring them.

Here is the tentative plan (subject to change based on weather, attendance, and availability). We will make our way to camp at Wolf Creek Falls on Friday night. Here you can expect to relax and enjoy a small private campsite and waterfall. Saturday we will depart camp by 11am after we decide where we want to spend the afternoon, there are a couple options of things to do. Some if not all of us can plan to arrive at Martha Sundquist to a popular site on Saturday camp spot by mid to late afternoon to save our camp spot. Sunday morning we will pack up and work our way toward the interstate or head towards Hot Springs for a different route back.
Waitlist members will be moved to fill in remaining spots 2 weeks before.

Roster:
1. Alex & Luke @fj40alex
2. Dave & Nathan @roadstr6
3. Eric - out @forrest5000
4. Scott @Scott11cruiser
5. @Blilrat
6. @84Landie
7. @Cirbo
8. @Tuite
9. @Yotahead52

Waitlist:
1. @cgilles9

Last edited:
I am in with max and Ava

Just an FYI. Wolf creek falls has been blocked off to vehicular travel. On the plus side (?) is they opened up access from 25 via upper shut in road. (Memoirs of caney fork for those that know) 1/3 mile walk to falls from road.

Weavers bend is a mess to Near theme park and long term camps setup 4 weeks ago. Would be tough to expect a spot for a group after Thursday/Friday unless someone went and camped out reserving a place.

Also west leg of paint creek was closed due to tree fall but main route was open

Last edited:
Just an FYI. Wolf creek falls has been blocked off to vehicular travel. On the plus side (?) is they opened up access from 25 via upper shut in road. (Memoirs of caney fork for those that know) 1/3 mile walk to falls from road.

Allegedly multiple varieties of LC will still fit bw boulders.

Weavers bend is a mess to Near theme park and long term camps setup 4 weeks ago. Would be thought to expect a spot for a group after Thursday/Friday unless someone went and camped out reserving a place.
Appreciate the heads up. Figured it was only a matter of time for WCF to close to larger vehicles. Sad only the side by side crowd can drive up to it. Haven’t found them to be the most “leave no trace” observant. We will have to be nimble with a few back up spots. Could get interesting.

Include me. Is it limited to 8 people or 8 vehicles?
8 vehicles - mainly due to size of available primitive sites. If we end up at the public sites (Round Mountain campground) by Wolf Creek Falls, space usually isn’t a concern.

Last edited:
Things could have changed since then but during the upstate cruisers hurricane creek trip we were able to make it to wolf creek falls, but had to squeeze between a couple of rocks.

I'd like to go if there are any available spots.

Edit: Just saw the mention of “active membership” which I don’t have.

Last edited:
Looking forward to the mountains. A little preplanning:

Radios: they can help, some of us like using them, but others don’t care. For several reasons we will go with the official ONSC choice - the GMRS. Bring your knock-off $25 Baofeng with the GMRS frequencies (aka channels) preprogrammed, or grab a legit GMRS radio. But no need to install grandad’s CB and whip with the tennis ball. I’ll be using the Midland GXT1000 that I won at Relic Run. A 2 pack is like $80 on Amazon. I’m not a FCC narc so I won’t judge what you use, whether the device is technically legal, or whether you have a license. Ain’t nobody got time for that. There is an entire ONSC thread on the decision to go with GRMS that covers it all very well.

PM me your cell numbers and I’ll start a group text for Friday coordination. I suspect the CLT area crew will caravan up to Asheville but once rolling, few will see a Mud update.

Unfortunately, it looks like I am going to have to drop out. I put 37s on a few weeks ago and I'm going to have to do some cutting and new bump stops. It's not looking like I'll have the time to get the truck dialed in before this trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom