June Hurricane Creek Run - June 24-26 2016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star
Threads
ONSC's first official scheduled trip to Hurricane Creek for 2016 and the surrounding areas in NC and TN will be June 24th - 26th. David Miller will be leading the July trip, then Brian Keefer with the August trip

This is an Expo style trip in which self-reliance is the subject: No bathrooms, no gas stops, no showers, no guaranteed camping sites as we will be miles from paved roads. You can expect miles of US Forestry Service roads, short mountain hikes, scenic views, refreshing mountain streams, cool nights spent around a campfire and maybe a bear or two. Expectations are that any Toyota with 4WD will do fine on the terrain we'll be covering. (Read here: You don't need lockers, a lift, mud tires, etc.)

As far as equipment, gear, etc., those attending will coordinate so we don't have more than 2 of most things (campstoves, etc) and yet ensure we have firewood, tarps, rope, saws, shovels, potable water, etc. At a minimum, an attendee would need a lightweight sleeping bag, tent, cooler and $ to put towards group meals.

Details will be ironed out in the near future but plans will include the ever-popular group meals. Click HERE to see the thread and photos from two years ago and HERE for last year's trip.

The trip will be limited to 9 paid ONSC member trucks. The reason why we restrict these events to 9 vehicles is because this is an expedition style trip and we need to stay nimble. While we'll try to avoid it, backing up the group because of a closed trail is a real possibility, and doing something like that with 10 or more trucks is nearly impossible. Even with 9 or less it's difficult. We require that attendees have an active ONSC membership before signing up to give our contributing club members a fair shot, given the fact that these trips are extremely popular and that they are official events. PM me with any questions or clarifications needed.

If this sounds like a trip for you, post up below or PM me. I'll edit this post as spots are filled.

Since we're getting close now, let's confirm who's going. Please post up here confirming that you are indeed ready and 100% committed to this trip, which starts on June 24th. This means that we will meet regionally, caravan and group up at Sierra Nevada on Friday, June 24th for a late lunch, so that we can get out into the woods. Here is the tentative schedule:

June 24th
- Meet at Sierra Nevada Taproom in Mills River, NC @ 2:00pm (negotiable)
- Eat lunch, re-up on Sierra Nevada growlers
- Drive out to the rest stop on 40 just before HC to confirm strategy for exiting the highway SAFELY
- Duck into the woods, drive a few trails, set up camp

June 25th
- Wake up around 9?
- Decide where to head:
Max Patch
Waterfalls
(open to suggestions)
- Explore the area
- Find and set up camp relatively early

June 26th
- Pack up, head home!

1. Johnny C - @GLTHFJ60
2. Izzy S - @Izzyandsue
2. Joe M - @little_joe
3. Marshall S - @Trollhole
4. Andrew H - @Siflersmom
5. Jason D - @slceso
6. Steve E - @aquatech3
7. Nick T - @Tuite
8. Jamie B - @weejub

7. Jonathan J - @lumbee1
9. Jay C - @mtnbike28
8. Sean T - @SeanLX
9. James U - @jamesurq
8. Steven H - @fj40z
9. Cole S - @Bama4door

8. Jeff T - @JToobe
9. Chris E - @ceby

Waiting List:
Derek H - @DeeRex
Jay C - @mtnbike28
Sean T - @SeanLX
James U - @jamesurq
Steven H - @fj40z
Cole S - @Bama4door

Last edited:
Put my name on this one, I am in!

Put me down as a 75 percent, in case i break something out west

I am in. I can't remember if I paid for my membership already, John can you check for me?

I am in. I can't remember if I paid for my membership already, John can you check for me?

I can, but I don't recognize your username. Put your name in your signature or post up with it :) My apologies for forgetting.

Just paid! Looks like a rad group, can't wait!

I take it you are Jason D then?

Welcome sir, you are on the list. Looking forward to meeting you and drooling on that HDJ81 you have :grinpimp:
:cheers:

I can, but I don't recognize your username. Put your name in your signature or post up with it :) My apologies for forgetting.

I take it you are Jason D then?
It's Steve Eby
PM sent

We are IN as a full family.

Sign us up!
I have some family stuff to wrk through but we are looking good for it.
-D

Got everyone who posted on the list! We are FULL!!! @DeeRex is first on the waiting list.

From here on out, no one else will be able to attend unless someone on the list in the first post drops out.

Last edited:
Alright, so let's talk about how to prepare. I take a "boy scout" approach to preparation, meaning I try to be over-prepared. I operate with the mindset that I'd rather have something and not need it, than need it but not have it.

This is a primer and will be followed by (within the next couple weeks) a list of what I have in my truck. It has worked out well in the past to list out what everyone has in each of their trucks so that we make sure we're at least double-covered with each item, that way if something fails unexpectedly, we have a backup.

1. General Overland Prep:

This will be a nomadic type trip, with no guaranteed camping spots, no guaranteed facilities, nada. There are some areas with facilities, but it's not a guarantee we'll stop in those places.

This is the time to test your overlanding equipment and ability. This means that you need a way to keep food cool over the weekend (remember that it's going to be late June), a way to cook food, a way to *relieve* yourself out in the woods, etc. Since we are in an organized group, we have the luxury of sharing resources. For example, I have a fridge and can provide space for *some* perishable items for people on the trip. In addition, I have a coleman stove with accoutrements that will be available for anyone to use. You will need a spare tire and the means to replace it if you don't have one 100% of the time. A place to sleep is also a good thing to have. This isn't anything out of the ordinary for an overland trip, but things to consider.

Given the specific area we're going into, we'll need to bring firewood, at least one chainsaw and a few hatchets. I'll bring my chainsaw and a hatchet, but we can always use more. Last year we had a fallen tree that needed to be moved out of the way for us to proceed.

Do NOT underestimate how much water you need. Plan on at least 1/2 gallon of water per person per day. I usually bring 5 gallons with me because it can supplement coolant, or be used to wash dishes/hands.

2. Repairs

While never fun to deal with, we must always be prepared in case something breaks. I carry enough tools in moonshine to take apart a truck and put it back together again, and everyone is welcome to use my tools, however it would be a good idea for you to bring some tools of your own. It's also a good idea to bring about one half gallon of each fluid, coolant, ATF, gear oil as well as some grease. I carry fluids with me everywhere.

It is not likely that we will break something on this trip, but things do happen. Last year we had a front diff go bad on an 80 that required some repair.

3. Communication/Navigation

We are going to be out in the wilderness, so it's not only important to be able to talk to members of the group, but also how to figure out where you are if the group gets split up. I highly recommend a NC Atlas and Gazetter to navigate. It would be beneficial, but not required, to have a GPS receiver of some sort so you can figure out your coordinates to plot on the gazetteer. Yes, all of the Hurricane Creek roads are on this:

North Carolina Atlas & Gazetteer (North Carolina Atlas and Gazetteer): Delorme, null: 9780899332772: Amazon.com: Books

CB or FRS/GMRS radios are acceptable, but it would be ideal to use HAM radios due to the dense vegetation and hilly terrain. I have a HAM mounted in my truck and another handheld HAM radio, so at least the trail leader and trail gunner will be able to communicate to keep everyone together. I also have a CB (that will be tuned shortly) as well as a FRS/GMRS radio to be able to talk to everyone. I would prefer to use only one out of the three radios for the group, with my preference being HAM, but I'm flexible :)

4. Preventative Maintenance

As with every trip, try to make sure that your truck is ready for the trek by keeping on top of preventative maintenance. This includes greasing your joints (TREs, driveshafts, knuckles, etc.), making sure you're not overdue on an oil change, making sure your tires have good tread and are at a good pressure, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom