August Hurricane Creek Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is the club’s second scheduled trip to Hurricane Creek and the surrounding areas in NC and TN and it is scheduled for August 15th – 17th.

This is an Expo style trip in which self-reliance is the subject. As Brian pointed out in the thread for the June trip: No bathrooms, no gas stops, no showers, no guaranteed camping sites as we will be miles from paved roads. You can expect miles of US Forestry Service roads, short mountain hikes (to the top of Max Patch), scenic views, refreshing mountain streams, cool nights spent around a campfire.

Details will be ironed out in the near future but plans will include group meals.

As is the case with the June trip, it is limited to 7 paid ONSC member trucks.

If this sounds like a trip for you, please submit a $20 registration fee and post up below or PM me. I'll edit this post as spots are filled.
Attendees:
1. FJinTegaCay (David + ?) - Trail Lead
2. Roxx (Rafael)
3. gaapmaster (Rob + son)
4. JohnVee (John and Sarah)
5. roadstr6 (Dave + ?)
6. LockedNLoaded (James + ?)
7. Forest5000 (Eric)

Last edited:
I want to do this trip in a baaaad way. But, it simply isn't in the cards this year with my unusually early elk hunt in September ... :(

David, aside from the self-reliance aspect, are there any other requirements or strong suggestions? e.g. in terms of vehicle capability, equipment, gear etc.

David, aside from the self-reliance aspect, are there any other requirements or strong suggestions? e.g. in terms of vehicle capability, equipment, gear etc.

Great question Joe. In all honesty, I suspect the overwhelming majority of the ground we covered last year could have been done in any stock Land Cruiser or Tacoma in 2WD. Condiitons might have changed since then but I imagine any Toyota with 4WD will be fine. I raised the breathers on my axles in case the stream crossings were particularly deep as the result of a thunderstorm.

As far as equipment, gear, etc., I plan coordinate those with those going so we don't have more than 2 of most things (campstoves, etc) and yet ensure we have firewood, tarps, rope, saws, shovels, potable water, etc. At a minimum, one would need a lightweight sleeping bag, tent, cooler and $ to put towards group meals.

I think i will have a truck ready for it. I am in for this one

...via IH8MUD app

OK, guys. I'm not waiting for things to work out. Put us down so I have no choice but to make it work. ;)

It'll be Stacy and I, plus the 3 kiddos

Last edited:
Put me down for this one. I am sure I will bring one of my boys if not both. Haven't done hurricane creek since 97, but from what I remember it's pretty easy. Not sure what all is planned trail wise, but with regards to fuel do you think a full tank will suffice or will we need extra jerry cans?

I'm going to this one instead put me down.

Put me down for this one. I am sure I will bring one of my boys if not both. Haven't done hurricane creek since 97, but from what I remember it's pretty easy. Not sure what all is planned trail wise, but with regards to fuel do you think a full tank will suffice or will we need extra jerry cans?
An 80 will be fine if filled up before we hit HC. A 40 might need fuel before heading out the last morning. David was the only 40 last year and he used the can I carried for him - not sure if it was actually needed, though. I can't remember the actual distance on dirt that we traveled.

I hope there's no junk car at the HC/40 turn this year. We might want to put more space between trucks prior to the turn this time.

Initial post has been updated to reflect those that committed to attending. As Eric has switched dates, I believe this opens a spot for the June trip. If you are interested as being put down as an alternate, please post up or PM me.

FYI - Johnny, Brian and I are having discussions about the aforementioned $20 registration fee.

Assuming everyone is a member in good standing (read here" has paid your membership dues") I should have your email address. I'll send out an email in the next week or so and we can start making plans. Note: I will get Brian's feedback after the June trip to make sure we have the best time possible.

Looks like I procrastinated too long. I don't know if the CRockpot will be ready for the trip by August. That's the main reason I haven't signed up. I could have driven our Jeep I guess but I understand the appeal of having this be an all Toyota trip...especially with such a limited number of slots. If anyone backs out let me know and I'll do the trip. It may have to be in a Heep though.

...via IH8MUD app

Looks like I procrastinated too long. I don't know if the CRockpot will be ready for the trip by August. That's the main reason I haven't signed up. I could have driven our Jeep I guess but I understand the appeal of having this be an all Toyota trip...especially with such a limited number of slots. If anyone backs out let me know and I'll do the trip. It may have to be in a Heep though.

...via IH8MUD app
David, with me "trying" to make this work I don't want to hold a spot if I am not 100% certain I'm a go. Please give mine to roadstr6. As much as I want to do this, I am not certain my littles are ready for this type of ride yet.

David, with me "trying" to make this work I don't want to hold a spot if I am not 100% certain I'm a go. Please give mine to roadstr6. As much as I want to do this, I am not certain my littles are ready for this type of ride yet.

Eric R. - I was looking forward to catching up with you and your family. It has been far too long. I hope our paths will cross again soon.

Dave - You better have the Crockpot ready. As we discussed, if you are in the Jeep we'll have no choice but to have you in the tailgunner position with a minimum following distance of 400 meters so onlookers won't know you're with us.

Eric R. - I was looking forward to catching up with you and your family. It has been far too long. I hope our paths will cross again soon.

Dave - You better have the Crockpot ready. As we discussed, if you are in the Jeep we'll have no choice but to have you in the tailgunner position with a minimum following distance of 400 meters so onlookers won't know you're with us.
Thanks Dave. I was too and I agree....far too long my friend. We will definitely see you guys soon.

Too much prrrreeeesssssuuurrreee! I'll try to have the CP ready. It's kinda' tough with all I've got going on. I can't seem to find a lot of time to turn wrenches lately. Whatever we end up driving, I'll bring my son, Nathan. He's 8 and a total Cruiser geek. Some of you have met him. He will so love this trip...especially if we can do it in the 40. If we end up driving the Jeep, I offer my apologies up front. If I need to pull a couple of plug wires and keep it in 2wd I will. That way everybody else looks way more capable on the trail. JUST KIDDING! JUST KIDDING! I'm just happy to be a part of this ride, no matter what I'm in. Thanks for extending the offer, guys.

The June trip was a blast. Water was lower and trails were much drier than last year but that could all change with a good thunderstorm. Looks like they hit a few spots again with a dozer blade but it was very similar to last year without the abandoned car and local fisherman parked in the middle of the trail. The weather was awesome and the wildlife put on another show for us; hope you guys get to enjoy the same. Just watch out for the killer trees.

Also if time allows fri am or sun am the trip over to buzzards roost was worth the drive
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom