Builds Joez's Built Thread/Recap. Hybrid Cage, 4Ds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Double low range is going to be pretty darn low for most occasions.

Double low range is going to be pretty darn low for most occasions.
Only 180:1 before you factor in the torque converter. Could be lower.

Can't wait to see this thing in action!

No kidding! Definitely the most interesting thread going right now.
I concur, also I remember there being some discussion to the oil capacity of the doubler and keeping it cool or whatever when driving down the highway. Keen to see if this is true or not, and what you might do to mitigate that issue.

Maybe I missed it as I haven’t read every post here but, why not just go with an Atlas that will bolt up to the 4L80E? Seems like one tons that would accommodate the center rear output are in the future anyway.

Maybe I missed it as I haven’t read every post here but, why not just go with an Atlas that will bolt up to the 4L80E? Seems like one tons that would accommodate the center rear output are in the future anyway.
Basically I'm stubborn. I've always tried to stay outside the lines, and this fits that bill a bit. Plus, I haven't found the limits of this tcase, or the axles quite yet. I really want to see this tcase hold up, maybe to a fault. Plus, if I can run it successfully, maybe others will buy this thing.

New axles are in the cards, but not for at least a year, more likely 2. And, when I do make that jump, it won't be tons. I like my Toyota based stuff, the plan is a tundra 10.5 rear, and a 9.5 front axle with 80 series outer. If this Tcase holds up, awesome, I'll keep it AWD and run a centered rear axle. If It doesn't, well, let's just say I hope I don't find the limit when I'm 2k miles from home. At that point, I can just swap the rear section of the black box, and stick a 3.8 atlas behind it. And just like that I basically have a 4 speed atlas.

I concur, also I remember there being some discussion to the oil capacity of the doubler and keeping it cool or whatever when driving down the highway. Keen to see if this is true or not, and what you might do to mitigate that issue.

That there is. They doubled capacity, so it's up to around a quart now. However, I will be oiling it a little differently. I removed the front input shaft seal from black box, am sealing the tcase adapter to both the trans and the tcase. Since my trans is a converted 2wd unit, I will install the output shaft seal, and only plug the top oiling port for the housing. The trans cooler return line will be T'd to feed both the trans and the black box with a restrictor to keep the majority feeding the trans. Cool trans fluid will pump into the black box, and the fluid will push out around the input shaft, through the tail shaft housing, draining back into the transmission.

I am having to get creative sealing the tcase adapter off the back of the trans since it's not meant to seal completely, but think I have it worked out. About ready to mate the drivetrain and start mocking things up.

20210215_175914.jpg

that is great problem solving.

6l80 has been converted to 4wd. Pro tip, use a hose clamp to mark your line on the shaft to cut, it's an easy guide to follow, and won't shift or disappear on you while working. Trying to get better at taking pictures while actually doing things, but obviously still miss a ton of stuff.

Next up, mating the whole thing together, and starting to mock it up in the engine bay.

20210218_170324.jpg

20210218_174022.jpg

20210218_174345.jpg

6l80 has been converted to 4wd. Pro tip, use a hose clamp to mark your line on the shaft to cut, it's an easy guide to follow, and won't shift or disappear on you while working. Trying to get better at taking pictures while actually doing things, but obviously still miss a ton of stuff.

Next up, mating the whole thing together, and starting to mock it up in the engine bay.
hose clamp. thats a good trick. I cut my nitro chromoly axle last time and it was a tiny bit off. had to use a flap disc anyway to bevel the edges but I'll keep that in mind for next time.

It'll also work good if you needed to cut a snap ring groove on a birf for going aisin hubs!

Watching this to see how the black box holds up. I've been thinking of using one of them as an adapter from a 4l80e to the awd tcase but was turned off at the overheating issue with them.

Trans/BB/tcase is assembled, motor side motor mount plates and made and in place, vacuum pump delete kit is installed, and my ICT power steering brackets are here and ready to go. Going to try and get the completed drivetrain in tomorrow morning to get the rest of the mounts fsbbed up, then start work on the exhaust manifolds.

Obviously nobody makes swap manifolds or headers for this motor, however the factory manifolds are 2.5" cast steel. I picked up some 2.5" schedule 40 elbows to cut up and re route these factory pieces to get them inside the narrow frame.

20210227_185857.jpg

20210224_182623.jpg

Drivetrain mock up, phase 1. Transfer case is approximately in the factory location. Stock exhaust manifold is against the firewall, on passenger side. And it's landing close enough that I may just need to drill two holes, and space the OEM Toyota mounts out 1/2 on each side to be able to re use the factory mounts. And there's a metric s*** ton of room for activities in the engine bay.

20210228_135447.jpg

20210228_134414.jpg

20210228_140230.jpg

Don't mind the wiring I still need to clean up. Motor is offset 1.5" to the driver side, and it's looking like everything will clear no problem.

20210228_141601.jpg

20210228_141722.jpg

Haha forgot you went with a V6! I wonder how much lighter the 4.3 is than the 4.5.
Longblock VS. longblock, this motor is 285lbs lighter. By the time you factor intake manifolds, accessories, and everything else I pulled from underhood, I am guessing about 325-350lbs lighter.

Then factor in that the 6l80e is 95lbs less than the A442f. It's losing a bunch of weight fast.

Last edited:
Quick spacers whipped up, and I'll burn them in tomorrow. It's sitting on its own weight though for the first time. Amazing how close it landed for the stock mounts.

20210228_165128.jpg

20210228_165120.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom