Builds Joez's Built Thread/Recap. Hybrid Cage, 4Ds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Exterior portion will get a fresh coat of gloss black, it's so scratched up that's what makes it look grey. I'll leave the interior, as it all matches inside.

Ah, gotcha. I just meant that since the bumpers and sliders don't match the exo part of the cage, maybe that's why it looks off?

Also, typically major visual changes like that just take a week or two to grow on you.

I think I've just been accustomed to it looking grey/black for the last 9 years. Once I touch up the grill and exo portion in gloss black I think I'll be happier with it. And if I'm not, it's only rustoleum. I can always change it.

Rear locker actuator finally bit the dust, it was tough to order a new one at the price they go for. But, if it lasts me 25 more years and 275k miles I really can't complain. Changed up the paint scheme with my daughter, now bumpers and sliders are sand. Still not sure if I like it. New maxpow struts for the lift gate and hatch, don't know why I didn't do it sooner. Nice to not have them fall on my head. Mounted my spare driveshaft to my cage, and significantly trimmed down my tools i am carrying. My spare tire hold down added a little over 45 pounds, I need to trim that from somewhere. 20 came out of my tool bags, 20 from my power tank. Almost there.

Last things for this wheeling season are just some reinforcements for my sliders, as I bent one last year pretty good. AC needs fixed and recharged, and a new exhaust. At that point it will be time to hit the trail, or mall.

View attachment 1982338

View attachment 1982343

View attachment 1982344

View attachment 1982345
Great build thread man. Can't believe how similar our builds are. I'm just a few years behind you. Sliders molded into the rockers, Complete spindle spare tire kit sitting in a drawer in my shop, Shelf over my spare in the back, Armor has been Tan since I started the build, After returning form Cruise Moab this year I'm wanting some kind of roll Bar cage after a near roll have something similar to yours in mind. and I am dreaming of 4ds and a three link
E01B2727-B431-4182-9DBE-5C12BFB1C4EC.jpeg
11D17454-4711-4ED8-B2BD-BFCF5C3E47C5.jpeg

I think because the cage is still dark grey, the sliders and bumpers look out of place. Any plans to paint the cage the sand color?
The Sand color looks great, I would paint the Cage the same color. The contrasts make them pop and I get tired of the same old Black. What did you have in mind for slider reinforcement ?

Last edited:
Great build thread man. Can't believe how similar our builds are. I'm just a few years behind you. Sliders molded into the rockers, Complete spindle spare tire kit sitting in a drawer in my shop, Shelf over my spare in the back, Armor has been Tan since I started the build, After returning form Cruise Moab this year I'm wanting some kind of roll Bar cage after a near roll have something similar to yours in mind. and I am dreaming of 4ds and a three linkView attachment 1983525View attachment 1983526

It's funny, seeing the tan/green combo on yours is what had me first considering it, probably 2 years ago. I had saved a pic on my iPad and was thumbing through them this winter, and when my daughter said she liked that color, it solidified the decision. Always liked your rig, nice and clean, and from the pics I've seen you aren't afraid to stick it in places it shouldn't be.

You won't regret 40's, though it may make you re think the swing out. These things suck enough just getting them onto the tailgate.

The Sand color looks great, I would paint the Cage the same color. The contrasts make them pop and I get tired of the same old Black. What did you have in mind for slider reinforcement ?
I've debated it, but I like how the black in a way hides it. Not sure how much attention I want to draw to it, lol.

looks like you are from my neighborhood ....chicago
question is .. where you go to wheel off road ?

It's funny, seeing the tan/green combo on yours is what had me first considering it, probably 2 years ago. I had saved a pic on my iPad and was thumbing through them this winter, and when my daughter said she liked that color, it solidified the decision. Always liked your rig, nice and clean, and from the pics I've seen you aren't afraid to stick it in places it shouldn't be.

You won't regret 40's, though it may make you re think the swing out. These things suck enough just getting them onto the tailgate.
I decided long ago not to build the swing out, that's why the parts have been setting in a drawer for years now. I like the shelf set up, I tie my lighter Camp gear to the shelf ( tent sleeping bags/air mats etc.) tire, tools, recovery gear slide under and can be accessed without untying all my gear.

Been idle for a while, outside of ditching the ammo can sub for an 8" Image Dynamics, and tying the sliders to the cage, I have just been wheeling it. But, this winters project came home with me yesterday.

GenV, direct injected, all aluminum LV3 V6. 285hp, over 300ft lbs of torque, and only weighs 285lbs. Backed by a 6l80, the plan is to run that and stuff a NWF Black Box between the trans and tcase.

The plan is to do the wiring myself, at least at this point in time. Once I get into the harness will see how I feel.

20200829_130509.jpg

Prolly oughtta throw that 3rz in the skinner so you have room in the garage for the LV6

That was the goal, until I fell into this deal. If I start stuffing a 22r into my trash can every week I'll have plenty of room by October.

Though, I may still swap the 3rz while I work on the wiring and getting this ready to swing in.

Last edited:
Been idle for a while, outside of ditching the ammo can sub for an 8" Image Dynamics, and tying the sliders to the cage, I have just been wheeling it. But, this winters project came home with me yesterday.

GenV, direct injected, all aluminum LV3 V6. 285hp, over 300ft lbs of torque, and only weighs 285lbs. Backed by a 6l80, the plan is to run that and stuff a NWF Black Box between the trans and tcase.
So explain this to me in stupid... Is this a GM 4.3 gas V6? 285hp 300ft would be perfectly not to much HP.

So explain this to me in stupid... Is this a GM 4.3 gas V6? 285hp 300ft would be perfectly not to much HP.

You got it. They are used in the 2014+ half ton trucks, and based off of the 5th generation LT V8's. There are a few downsides to them, like the GenV V8's they require drive by wire throttle, a high pressure PWM fuel pump, don't have provisions for a PS pump, and they pull very little vacuum. I'll try the vacuum pump and see how my brakes are with that pump, if they suck more than they do now i will switch to hydroboost. PS pump solutions are already out there, my brackets are on their way, now i just need to order a corvette pump.

The other downside is that i will not be able to get my York OBA setup to work with this, at least not at this time. So, if anyone wants one of the original @NLXTACY setups cut by Great Lakes Water Jet, mine is for sale.

Will be following with interest. Holley just released their Terminator X setup for Gen V stuff a few weeks ago.

Will be following with interest. Holley just released their Terminator X setup for Gen V stuff a few weeks ago.

I was interested, just not quite $2300 interested and still need a separate trans controller. It does seem awesome though.

Last edited:

The plan is to do the wiring myself, at least at this point in time. Once I get into the harness will see how I feel.
Sliders to cage... did you add any body mounts?

Sliders to cage... did you add any body mounts?
Yes, one so far, lol. Leaf spring bushings and tube. Going to add more this winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom