Builds I've waited 20yrs for this 40th build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LC4LIFE

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Yes, In a literal sense, I have waited 20 years to own this specific 1997 Land Cruiser. My first vehicle was a 1978 FJ40 and I am sure the last vehicle I own will be a Land Cruiser, maybe this one.

Here is a little back story. I have been a lifelong outdoors lover. 4-wheeling, riding bikes, backpacking, rafting, kayaking, etc. Part of the reason I am this way is because of my parents and grandparents. My grandfather owned International Scouts and Travelall's until they went out of business. My father continued the 4x4 family vehicle trend with his first Cruiser in 1985, an FJ60. Exploring the great outdoors in our 4x4's has always been wonderful for myself growing up, and for my own family now. That FJ60 and borrowing it when I was in high school created the desire I have now for Land Cruisers. As soon as I turned 16, I worked all summer to buy my first vehicle, a 1978 FJ40. I ended up with my father’s FJ60 in the early 90's and he was without a Land Cruiser until 1997. That is the he went full in and purchased a 1997 40th Anniversary FZJ80, brand new off the lot from Big-Two Oldsmobile/Toyota in Mesa, AZ. I remember the day he brought it home like it was yesterday. It was simply awesome.

Fast forward 20 years and here we are, this summer. I am now beyond my 78 FJ40, my 85 FJ60, and my first 97 FZJ80. The 80 I sold my son this past May. Literally, days before I picked up the 40th from my father. I plan to use this thread to document everything I have done and will do in regards to this Land Cruiser. Here is how it sits today. I think in the last few months its spent more time in the Colorado outdoors on dirt roads and wheeling than anywhere else.
40th LC-11.jpg

Last edited:
These are some of the things he handed me when I picked it up. Needless to say, it was tough for him to hand over the keys, but he knew it was going to a good home.
40th LC-2.jpg
40th LC-3.jpg

40th LC-4.jpg

40th LC-5.jpg

40th LC-6.jpg

Last edited:
A few more cool things. A couple I have heard that are now unobtanium.

40th LC-7.jpg

40th LC-8.jpg

40th LC.jpg

40th LC-12.jpg

Last edited:
I have virtually every receipt for anything and everything done.

Last edited:
A priority of mine, beyond the obvious baselining and getting the cooling system rock solid was additional 12v power both at the rear of the truck and up front. I installed dual batteries, with the BlueSea 7610, along with multiple BlueSea fuse blocks to separate the accessories between both the starting battery and the house battery. Puma air went in the back once I had the fuse block installed inside the rear quarter panel trim panel. On a side note, the Puma comes out just like the 3rd row seats. I salvaged some seat brackets and welded up a plate to use with the Puma. Its really nice to easily remove it when I need the third row back in, or when I need to get into the wiring or quarter panel. When it sits in the garage, it plugs into a NOCO G3500 to keep both batteries in top condition. Multiple 12v outlets and USB charging outlets were added inside too.

strt batt.jpg

40th LC-13.jpg

40th LC-14.jpg

rear power.jpg

puma mounted.jpg

Last edited:
Probably the cleanest 80 I've ever seen, even cooler that its not a pavement queen. Amazing that back then $825 got you both e-lockers. I also really want to hear whats on that CD. Glad you started this thread!

amazing just $825 for front and rear factory lockers - less than a moonroof!

congratulations

Very cool, LC4LIFE.

WJR

Incredible! That’s the best PO story ever. One owner. Enjoy it!

Drive it like it was your Dads!

Need an mp3 rip of cruisin tunes please

X2, a playlist at the very least! And $825 for F&R diff locks is the value of the century!

That is one interesting mix. 5 movies that used those songs come mind.

Am I the only one not seeing the links??..what does this 80 look like

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom