Builds I've waited 20yrs for this 40th build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Am I the only one not seeing the links??..what does this 80 look like

No actual pictures of the truck yet, haha. I'm lucky to be local so I've seen it in person.

Am I the only one not seeing the links??..what does this 80 look like

I will get some up pictures of it up tonight. Good or bad, don't really have any of it washed and clean (been using it). I plan to do some poser shots this weekend.

Last edited:
Ok, roger that...thought links were not showing up

so cool to see all that original paperwork, some of that is probably worth big $ to someone, 99% of people would have thrown that away. I have been messing with 80's for years and have never seen that brochure before.

very cool

I built up a mount for a tablet as I have always wanted offline mapping. My hesitation has been the need to drill the center console or the floor in order to mount something. For now, I welded up a plate and tube that bolts to the center console bolt and holds my tablet running Gaia GPS. The usb/12v outlets make for easy charging. It works really well, although I may change it slightly as I really like to throw junk into that area in the center console. I will probably make another that bolts to the left mount of the passenger seat rail and change the mount to a Ram, but who knows. I tested the mount and maps for the first time running Hackett Gulch with my son. We had never been there before so having Gaia was great. Tablet doesn't wiggle at all.
cent console-2.jpg
cent console.jpg
cent console-3.jpg
Little Maggie-3.jpg

Recent trip through northern CO, Tetons, Yellowstone and Wyoming to celebrate 20yrs with my wife. Pulled the homebuilt teardrop nearly 2000 miles and everything went very well. Gaiagps plus the tablet worked great for mapping. Propane doesn't like high altitude and sub-freezing temps, so I need to work on that, and for some reason the 18degree night caused a P0500 code to pop up, VSS error. I'll hunt that problem down this week. Entire album here.

20th Trip-10.jpg

20th Trip-17.jpg

20th Trip-21.jpg

20th Trip-46.jpg

20th Trip-62.jpg

If you had 1" wheel spacers do you think you would run into any issues with your setup? Hitting the fenders/flares or firewall? Trying to decide if 3.5" backspacing is the sweet spot on these trucks with flares and 35s.

Recent trip through northern CO, Tetons, Yellowstone and Wyoming to celebrate 20yrs with my wife. Pulled the homebuilt teardrop nearly 2000 miles and everything went very well. Gaiagps plus the tablet worked great for mapping. Propane doesn't like high altitude and sub-freezing temps, so I need to work on that, and for some reason the 18degree night caused a P0500 code to pop up, VSS error. I'll hunt that problem down this week. Entire album here.

View attachment 1555671

View attachment 1555672

View attachment 1555673

View attachment 1555674

View attachment 1555675

So the propane tank is a fixed volume. Therefore, propane pressure is directly related to the ambient temperature. For example, any volume of propane contained in a tank at 80 degrees Fahrenheit, the pressure is about 128 psi, at 50 degrees Fahrenheit, the pressure is about 78 psi and at zero degrees Fahrenheit, the propane pressure can reduce to 24 psi. I think they might make a blanket heater like they use on NOS tanks for propane in cold climates.

If you had 1" wheel spacers do you think you would run into any issues with your setup? Hitting the fenders/flares or firewall? Trying to decide if 3.5" backspacing is the sweet spot on these trucks with flares and 35s.

Probably not, but I don't see a need to run spacers with the Toyota wheels (a lot of guys do though). I don't rub, but I am also bumpstop spaced 2" in the back and 1 1/4" up front. If I was to go to 17" wheels I would probably run the 1" spacer to get the width back to near factory as most of the 17's I have seen out there need spacers to get the wheel/tire back into the right spot. I think with 35's you're pretty far away from having issues for the most part. Going to 37's require a lot more thought towards spacers, wheel offset, and bumpstops.

So the propane tank is a fixed volume. Therefore, propane pressure is directly related to the ambient temperature. For example, any volume of propane contained in a tank at 80 degrees Fahrenheit, the pressure is about 128 psi, at 50 degrees Fahrenheit, the pressure is about 78 psi and at zero degrees Fahrenheit, the propane pressure can reduce to 24 psi. I think they might make a blanket heater like they use on NOS tanks for propane in cold climates.

Yeah, I know that, but it surely can be better than it was. I have a new regulator to go in and I may try the blanket thing, but if it becomes much more hassle, I will go to something different all together. Giving up the ability to easily cook in very cold weather and/or high altitude camping is unacceptable.

Yeah, I know that, but it surely can be better than it was. I have a new regulator to go in and I may try the blanket thing, but if it becomes much more hassle, I will go to something different all together. Giving up the ability to easily cook in very cold weather and/or high altitude camping is unacceptable.

Always frustrating when my outdoor heaters won’t light because it’s too cold.

Awesome write up and equally awesome pics of the outdoors. Love seeing the 80 being used for what it was made to do. Your Dad did not make a mistake in passing it over to the next generation to enjoy this wonderful creation the Landcruiser 80. The original manuals are so cool to have too.

Couple of weeks ago, I refinished the hood. I did not want to try and match the metallic, so I did a good 1000grit scuff and laid down a few coats of clear. Should be good for at least another 10yrs or so.
hood.jpg

Also built up and interior mount for my axe. Its welded to the third seat bracket and I use a couple of quick fists to hold it in place. Nice thing is, the third row can go back in if needed and I don't have to pull the axe. I also refurbished the axe with a new handle, new paint, and a good sharpening
axe.jpg

Another tidbit that can explain cold weather propane problems is that propane blends often shift between warmer climate areas and colder ones, if not seasonally. In years of RVing around the country I ran into this issue a few times and learned just wait to fill when I got to the cold area.

Another tidbit that can explain cold weather propane problems is that propane blends often shift between warmer climate areas and colder ones, if not seasonally. In years of RVing around the country I ran into this issue a few times and learned just wait to fill when I got to the cold area.
Yep..knew that too. Even went through the trouble of buying a new tank directly from a propane lot that could confirm I had the right blend for winter. Thanks.

There's warm & cold weather spec propane blends? Maybe we only get the cold weather stuff up here, lol!

Couple of weeks ago, I refinished the hood. I did not want to try and match the metallic, so I did a good 1000grit scuff and laid down a few coats of clear. Should be good for at least another 10yrs or so.View attachment 1578225
I've got a 40th as well and my hood has fade spots. would you recommend doing the same? thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom