I've recently purchased a 93 FJz80 that runs fantastic Everything is original. Want to increase it's value... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's not true, and you shouldn't assume. But I work for myself and if another pandemic happens where I get f***ed in the ass I want to be able to filp it. Sorry for being a capitalist. But, If I wanted to make money I would have taken the two random offers I've already got while driving it. I'm just trying to be pragmatic.

He's not assuming, you literally admitted as much. Call me crazy, but if I was worried about my financial security, I wouldn't have blown nearly $12K on a 28 year old truck as an investment. Seems to me, you saw the BaT action and started salivating at the bits, so to speak. To answer your question about retaining value, replace everything with OEM parts and document all the parts/work. With 231K on the odometer, your Land Cruiser is the exact opposite of the high valued Land Cruisers from BaT; either modify it to make it what you want it to be, drive and enjoy it or sell it before you sink more money that will never be recouped. But that's my opinion, and you do you, that way you won't have anyone else to blame for poor decisions.

If we look past the OP's intentions, this has the possibility of being an interesting thread, if only to help us all justify the cost of certain upgrades we'd like to dabble in.

Factory locked trucks obviously command a premium. Would adding F&R Harrop lockers to an unlocked truck increase its value to that of an equivalent factory locked truck? You could make the argument that it should be worth even more, as e-lockers could be considered more reliable, more easily serviced, etc.

I've also wondered about the resale value of something like the Wits End turbo kit. Assume a truck is worth $10k. Would the addition of the turbo kit increase its value beyond $16k, helping cover its cost?

If we look past the OP's intentions, this has the possibility of being an interesting thread, if only to help us all justify the cost of certain upgrades we'd like to dabble in.

Factory locked trucks obviously command a premium. Would adding F&R Harrop lockers to an unlocked truck increase its value to that of an equivalent factory locked truck? You could make the argument that it should be worth even more, as e-lockers could be considered more reliable, more easily serviced, etc.

I've also wondered about the resale value of something like the Wits End turbo kit. Assume a truck is worth $10k. Would the addition of the turbo kit increase its value beyond $16k, helping cover its cost?
There are many different factors for each vehicle sale. But in general a rule of thumb is your upgrade is worth .50 on the dollar on the high end. Unless you get an uninformed buyer with deep pockets who wants a turn-key vehicle, you will likely not get what you put in. Then again, upgrading vehicles and expecting a profit is unwise so this thread is purely subjective and full of conjecture; including what I provided.

Land Cruisers are terrible "investments". Even desirable ones that go up in value still have maintenance, gas, insurance, and registration costs. Your ROI after all that will be negative. Money you add in mods won't increase the value of the Cruiser they much.

But that's not why you buy Cruisers, you buy them to enjoy them! Drive it! Go cool places! Take comfort that if you take care of your Cruiser, its value probably won't go down.

It's highly unlikely you'll ever recoup the cost of any "upgrades" on the average truck.
But in general a rule of thumb is your upgrade is worth .50 on the dollar on the high end.
I think this ^^^ is generous.

From my point of view a truck that has had lockers fitted has probably been wheeled, which reduces value IMO
Same with a truck with lift kit added. So many variables here too. Has it been wheeled? Has it had caster correction done right?

A truck with a turbo kit fitted can be a hand grenade with the pin pulled.
So many factors here that can impact long term reliability, and an unknown history. Had it been treated like a hotrod and flogged? Had it had cooling issues.

The more modified a rig is, the more unknowns there are.
Unknown parts list, and quality, unknown maintenance history. Not knowing what's been fuçked with, and what parts have been used all equals headaches down the track. (Dealing with this right now on a rig that is not mine. It's a PITA)

The first 80 I owned was lifted. I had all sorts of games with it for all the reasons above.

Cruisers I've bought since have been bone stock original. I would personally ignore anything modified, unless I knew who built it, and knew them well, knew what was done to the rig, AND I was getting a screaming deal!

Judging by what I’ve seen the 80 series market do in the past 5 years I’d say the best thing you can do is just hold onto it.

To answer directly the 'best way to increase it's value' IMO, given your intentions and that you said it is all 'original'...baseline it with OEM parts. And if you do the work, you may come to love it even more.
That's it. Simple yeah?
Afterall, maintaining a vehicles' value over time can be seen as increasing its value.
If you dump the 'flip' idea and decide to commit, then mod away.

Pics or it ain’t true.

buyers want an OEM car.

if you’ve noticed, only the cleanest unmolested rigs are actually fetching the top dollar on these auction sites.

buyers don’t want to buy someone else’s crappy project car. They want a blank slate. No rats nest of wiring, no questionable lift setups that screw up the suspension and drive shaft geometry. A well maintained blank slate is the most valuable cruiser that will give you the most return on investment that you can imagine.

Last edited:
That's not true, and you shouldn't assume. But I work for myself and if another pandemic happens where I get f***ed in the ass I want to be able to filp it. Sorry for being a capitalist. But, If I wanted to make money I would have taken the two random offers I've already got while driving it. I'm just trying to be pragmatic.
I didnt know you could be a capitalist and own a toyota truck, especially not an 80 series. Should rethink my life decisions :flipoff2:.

I love my 80 and will continue to keep dropping coin into it. Driving old Japanese iron that well built makes me happy in so many ways. I strive to modify, upgrade, and maintain to keep this legendary vehicle alive. In the end, it might cost me $30K to $50K but I will have enjoyed it every single minute.

Dropping threads like this really get under my skin. We have a thriving club in North Carolina and I want to hang around others and talk truck with those that have the same appreciation for the Toyota Land Cruiser. No offense but you wouldn't fit in.

I blame Joe Rogan, Jalopnik, BaT, $GME, $AMC and $DOGE for this thread.

I think on average stock trucks fetch a higher price than something that has been heavily modified. Your target market is potentially narrowed to someone who shares your taste in accessories.

To answer directly the 'best way to increase it's value' IMO, given your intentions and that you said it is all 'original'...baseline it with OEM parts. And if you do the work, you may come to love it even more.
That's it. Simple yeah?
Afterall, maintaining a vehicles' value over time can be seen as increasing its value.
If you dump the 'flip' idea and decide to commit, then mod away.

I blame Joe Rogan, Jalopnik, BaT, $GME, $AMC and $DOGE for this thread.
/thread

Just filled the tank. . . Guess I wont be eating steak this weekend. I've just increased the value of my 80 by 20 gallons worth. hahaha.

20210618_205453.jpg

Best ways to increase value (IMO)

Rhino liner - ideally applied with a roller.
22" rims - go chrome or go home.
Only use WIX oil filters and have receipts for buyers.
Custom tube bumber with "angry eyes"
Add new wood trim on top of the existing wood trim.
Homebrew turbo setup.
Remove fender flares and do not patch the holes.
Replace any failing parts with American made equivalents from O'Reilly.

Joking aside your beat option for resale value would be doing lots of PM and documenting it all for the next buyer. Even then the cost of the maintenance will likely be a net loss when you sell.
Finally someone with some taste in this podunk forum. I would add as much chrome trim as possible. Don't want people thinking youre poor.

Interesting thread.

Problem being you can take a stock cruiser repair it using all original parts. And I mean replace everything with any sign of wear. Do modern upgrades to improve or bring to today’s standards and you’ve got a vehicle that ICON would sell.
But that’s it, ICON sells it. Not Joe blow. If you have the reputation such as ICON or others you will get top dollar but not as plain old Joe blow even though a person can do equivalent work.

my 2 cents.

Don't forget the rainbow colored 96" light bar and remote controlled underbelly rock lights, preferably Chinese made for durability of course.:clap:
Hey now, a couple of those rock lights still work!

:flipoff2:

another vote for "keep it stock"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom