it's my 80 that's Baja Bound.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking great! Big difference over the 33s..

update - Al's Liner and OEM wheels

So i bought some beat up wheels (sorrry no before pics) with the intention of refinishing them. I found a guy to sand blast them really clean.

I wanted to use something different than everyone else - it's just the way I am :flipoff2:. I was going to linex them, but after getting a quote - I ruled that out. So after lots of late night reading, I stumbled across Al's Liner which is sold locally. $150 + tax get's most the materials you need - including spray gun and hopper. You'll need to purchase some personal protection as this stuff is pretty gnarly. My buddy was willing to let me use his mini spray booth in garage - under 2 conditions - he gets to spray and I bring the beer:beer:. Being that he has loads more experience with a spray gun than I - I agreed to his terms.

The actual process doesn't take long - but we had to wait for the fronts to cure before we could spray the backs - it took 2 days.
321.jpg
322.jpg
323.jpg

All that work to make the rims look bitchin and you have rusty lugnuts? WTF? J/K Mike, looks suhweet! :flipoff2:

SC Install

Pics of the SC install.

Of course I had SD Trux do the work, which is top notch!:cheers:

-Remove the cylinder head for replacement with new.
-Replace cylinder head gasket.
-Replace cylinder head bolts.
-Replace secondary ignition set.
-Replace water pump.
-Replace thermostat.
-Replace drive belt idler pulleys.
-Replace drive belts.
-Grind valves, grind seats, adjust valves, set-up new head.
IMG_2382.jpg
IMG_2385.jpg
IMG_2394.jpg

Reactions: RFB
Wow...looking GREAT!

WOW no expense spared there man on man.

Was your head cracked? How do you like the S/C with your setup?

I'm totally in awe at the speed and quality of your build. I wanted to do the same but it will take me years to get there.

You have taken "do it right do it once" to heart from the looks of things.

Wow...looking GREAT!

WOW no expense spared there man on man.

Was your head cracked? How do you like the S/C with your setup?

I'm totally in awe at the speed and quality of your build. I wanted to do the same but it will take me years to get there.

You have taken "do it right do it once" to heart from the looks of things.

The head wasn't cracked, but I replaced it anyway.

In regards to the speed of my build... what can I say, I'm hooked!:D For the first time in my adult life, I can honestly say I LOVE my rig. I spent a long time trying to decide what I was going to spoil myself and family with; sports car, boat, long vacation, 4x4 rig. I had a fairly large budget to work with (sale of my Tundra and some savings) and finally narrowed it down to either a used Cayman S or a FJ80. I think I choose correctly, as my golf clubs nor a surfboard will fit in a cayman. When I first bought this 80 - I was ashamed of it, (see the "before" pic) so I had to get started quickly. Once I started, I caught the fever and the rest is history.

My friends know I don't mess around, it's just the way I do things. So you are right, only I say "if you are going to do, do it right!"

A very nice looking and well thought out project. What are your thoughts about the SC installation? What you expected in the way of power?

A very nice looking and well thought out project. What are your thoughts about the SC installation? What you expected in the way of power?

I'm 100% satisfied with the power output. Getting on CA freeways are a breeze where before I had to dive into faster moving traffic. Driving up inclines are nothing.
Here's a comparison photo of 80BajaBound's 80 vs. mine.

His is a beast! Keep in mind that mine is not stock height, it has OME 2.5" lift and 33" tires and it makes it look like a low rider!

Pretty crazy pic considering 4 months ago your rig was 3+ inches taller! She has definitely come a long way.

Did you rebuild the cylinder block? Are you concerned about the differences in pressure tolerances in having a completely rebuilt/new head and the original block, rings, etc.?

Did you rebuild the cylinder block? Are you concerned about the differences in pressure tolerances in having a completely rebuilt/new head and the original block, rings, etc.?

No they didn't. IIRC, but could be mistaken, these blocks are good for 2-3 top end rebuilds, per my mechanic. My wallet was open - so if it was necessary, I'm pretty sure he would have suggested it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom