Builds it has begun (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Engine and tranny are bolted in, as in other h55f installs in a 40 I had issues. But I decided to move the whole engine/tranny combo ahead 2 inches and this solved the problem on the rear companion flange and the cross-member for the frame.
cruiser pics 23.jpg
cruiser pics 24.jpg
cruiser pics 31.jpg

Had to move the hole in the tranny hump, all I did was cut it out and rotate it 180 degrees and weld it back in, fit perfect!
cruiser pics 26.jpg
cruiser pics 25.jpg
cruiser pics 30.jpg

Front disk set-up is all finished, had one problem with flex hose from axle to backing plate. The 60 series hose is to short. The tab on the axle housing is in a different position than the 60 series, the hose needs to be longer. Found one but had to do a little grinding to make it fit.
cruiser pics 19.jpg
cruiser pics 20.jpg

Built the power steering plate for the fj60 box, used sched. 40 tube to go through the frame. The plate is made of 5/16, by doing this I was able to use the fj60 bolts to bolt it through the frame, the plate is welded on also. I also added a tab on the front of the plate to bolt it to the front cross member.

I cut, flipped and tig welded the stock fj40 pitman arm and used the fj40 rod which works perfectly, thanks to MarkW.:cheers:
cruiser pics 27.jpg
cruiser pics 29.jpg
cruiser pics 41.jpg

I removed the shock tower and made a plate with nuts on it to bolt the shock tower back on. I placed a 5/16 plate under the tower on the side of the frame to move it out off the frame. This allowed me to remove as little as possible from the shock mount to make the box fit with a safe amount of clearance. I am using the u-joint/steering shaft set-up from the fj60.
cruiser pics 28.jpg
cruiser pics 43.jpg
cruiser pics 37.jpg

closing pic of the engine and something that has been consuming some of my free time (something which is scarce!):cheers:

Daryl
cruiser pics 21.jpg
cruiser pics 239.jpg
cruiser pics 193.jpg

Hmmm. :hmm: That scarce thing (antique?) looks like it's the result of a sheep breeding with a camel (in a two-legged sack race)...... but I'm not sure how that could happen (unless some of these evil modern genetic-scientists got involved). I guess it's worth a fortune. (Ugly things often are! :D)

Love the way you moved the transmission hole rearwards .... I probably would never have thought of that method (and would likely have created a lot more work for myself with an inferior result too).

And your welding of that pitman arm had better be good! I doubt the authorities would ever allow/pass such a thing in this country ..... (if they were to stumble across it).

:beer:

Pitman arm was welded by professional welder, no worries there.

Lots of work happened since my last post. pics to follow:cheers:

Daryl

Hmmm. :hmm: That scarce thing (antique?) looks like it's the result of a sheep breeding with a camel (in a two-legged sack race)...... but I'm not sure how that could happen (unless some of these evil modern genetic-scientists got involved). I guess it's worth a fortune. (Ugly things often are! :D)

Love the way you moved the transmission hole rearwards .... I probably would never have thought of that method (and would likely have created a lot more work for myself with an inferior result too).

And your welding of that pitman arm had better be good! I doubt the authorities would ever allow/pass such a thing in this country ..... (if they were to stumble across it).

:beer:

As we all know rust lurks everywhere.

Well the Toyota engineers did not plan on the the body of the Land Cruiser to last long.

Ihate rust...so to be sure there was none lurking under my body panels I decided to split all panels possible.

This included both front doors, rear swing out doors, bezel and windshield frame.

For the front doors Toyota put virtually no primer prior to assembling both inner and outer skins.:censor:
cruiser pics june15.jpg
cruiser pics june19.jpg
cruiser pics june17.jpg

:doh:as you can see there is rust a plenty
cruiser pics june 18.jpg
cruiser pics june 13.jpg
cruiser pics june16.jpg

but now it is gone:) After a trip to the bead blast cabinet and a bunch of welding

I also added a bit of sound deadener to stop the tinny sound when the door is closed...
cruiser june 26.jpg
cruiser june 27.jpg
cruiser june 28.jpg

Last edited:
now the rear doors...NO primer at all!!:confused:
cruiser pics june1.jpg
cruiser pics june 6.jpg
cruiser pics june.jpg

but it is all fixable
cruiser pics june 2.jpg
cruiser pics june 5.jpg
cruiser pics june 4.jpg

I love epoxy primer
cruiser pics june 8.jpg
cruiser pics june 11.jpg
cruiser pics june 9.jpg

then onto the windshield frame and bib
cruiser pics june 23.jpg
cruiser pics june 20.jpg
cruiser pics june21.jpg

lots of work, wife is not so impressed anymore:D
cruiser pics june 22.jpg
cruiser pics june 24.jpg
cruiser pics june 26.jpg

Looks great!

Can I ask what specific product you used from International Paint on the frame?

all the doors have been painted and the underside has been coated with Nebula Green Raptor bedliner.
cruiser pics raptor.jpg
cruiser pics raptor 2.jpg
cruiser pics raptor 4.jpg

body was painted on Saturday...:clap:...and it looks awsome IMOP. I hope to have her back together the end of July.

:cheers:
Daryl
land cruiser painted 2.jpg
land cruiser painted 5.jpg
land cruiser painted 4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom