Issues with my new fj40 please help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That looks like the original engine... can you get the serial number off the block. I doubt this is a 78 2F. I can see the mechanical pump with the outlet plugged up. Trace the main fuel line from the carb. It’s the metal hard line that is attached to the carb inlet with a hex nut. What is the hard line connected to on the other end?

Then make it look like this.

20200613_082539.jpg

I just spotted something in your bird‘s eye view of the engine compartment... the alternator tensioner bolt is not attached. You‘re alternator belt is probably loose.

I’d say hold off on ripping out the smog stuff at the moment... just my 2 cents.

What exactly are you saying I can remove? Please advise!
Please don't dive in and begin pulling things off without fully understanding what needs to be changed when you de-smog. Its not just a rip it out and restart job.

as stated above, looks like the fuel pump return is plugged off, can't see what the feed line is, has a zip tie on it?
couple of vacumn lines plugged off under the air cleaner above the distributor.
hope the wing nuts are sealed up good on the top of the air cleaner

I'd suggest reconnecting the mechanical fuel pump and replacing the fuel filter and than check for fuel flow.

Don’t desmog if everything is working

You have a 79+ tub and grill, engine looks like a 79+ also, maybe you have a 78 build date but MY 79?

See my thread on 79-80 desmog, I am not suggesting you start ripping out components but in my experience the emissions system is more easily understood if you approach it by system/ component, it’s overwhelming to look at the entire diagram and try to understand it.

The fuel cut solenoid on the carb is one of the first things you should check IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom