Is the 250 the best size Landcruiser platform since the 40 series ? (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just gonna throw this out there :

Toyota has 17 frames for the Tacoma and multiple lengths, wheelbase, powertrain, and body options. Instead of a 300, 250, and 4runner that are very similar, wouldn't it be great to go that defender route. Lc300 in 3 lengths. 108wb, 114, 120. 3 powertrains - T4, t4h, T6. Price range 40-85k.

Toyotas already going to build 3 of the same thing. This would cut costs and increase range of customers.

Own a 2014 BMW 535d and a 2021 LC200. Parked in the garage it seems there is not much between the length of each. Internet data from carsized.com shows the comparison. The LC200 is indeed a whopping 8.5cm or 3-1/3 inch longer and wider...

While the BMW 5 F10 series is a larger sedan in Europe and most of the world, i would say most folk in the US label it a mid size sedan. The turn circle on the LC200 is pretty decent as well, yet they managed a commanding seating position and an impressive mix of capability including tow up to 8200 to 8500 lbs.

So is the LC200 that big?

1705199742618.png

1705199784715.png

The popular F150 is clearly a size up in length (+90cm or 35 inch)

1705201378153.png

Even the Tacoma "small" pick up is quite a bit longer.

1705201684855.png

Or the Crown Vic...

1705202226982.png

Last edited:
For goodness sakes. Dimensions are a matter of measurement not opinion!
“Compared to the old 200, the new model shares an overall width of 78.0 inches, stands only 0.8 inch shorter, and is just 1.2 inches stubbier front to back. That said, the differences appear huge in real life because the 2024 Land Cruiser has a narrow body, grille, and greenhouse with prominent fender flares that cover a comparatively broad track. It's a clearly skinnier vehicle that looks like it has been modded to give it a tougher stance.“

From the article you referenced

I'm not interested in maximum width/height measurements. I'm more interested in comparing total "volume"... though height is easier to contend with. The 200's side profile is more flat vs the 80/250, which are more "bulbous" If you just chopped off the flares on the 250, the body is probably 5" narrower than specs (not including the mirrors).

“Compared to the old 200, the new model shares an overall width of 78.0 inches, stands only 0.8 inch shorter, and is just 1.2 inches stubbier front to back. That said, the differences appear huge in real life because the 2024 Land Cruiser has a narrow body, grille, and greenhouse with prominent fender flares that cover a comparatively broad track. It's a clearly skinnier vehicle that looks like it has been modded to give it a tougher stance.“

From the article you referenced
Oh for goodness sakes.

THE LENGTH AND WIDTH ARE BASICALLY THE SAME AS THE 200!

How you FEEL about the size isn’t going to make it fit down a narrow trail.

A F1 car has a max width of 200cm/78.75” but clearly is not a big as a 200. Max measurements are only part of the story. I’ve stood next to the 250. It’s not as big as a 200.
The maximum width and length are what matters when you are trying to fit it into a narrow place.

Basically, Toyota made the vehicle less space efficient. The overall width is the same as the 200, making it just had hard to fit down a narrow trail, but the greenhouse is narrower giving it less room inside.

The upper width being narrower on a 250 absolutely will make it fit down narrower trails better than a rig with more consistent top-to-bottom proportions. Frankly my GX470 is the same way...kind of wide at the bottom with a tapered/narrow greenhouse. The difference is when you are snaking through trees that encroach and grow into the trail....which I do all the time. A few inches narrower at the top will help keep you from whacking a tree trunk with your A-pillar or dragging a branch all down the side of the rig, particularly if you are in a off-camber situation. The same benefit would be present if you are in a narrow trail with rocks/ledges on each side as well.

THE LENGTH AND WIDTH ARE BASICALLY THE SAME AS THE 200!

"Compared to the outgoing 200 Series, the new Land Cruiser is 4.4 inches narrower and 1.2 inches shorter for more off-road prowess."

Cite (Toyota): 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Returns to its Origin - Toyota USA Newsroom - https://pressroom.toyota.com/2024-toyota-land-cruiser-returns-to-its-origin/?_gl=1*1zggja*_tmna_ga*MTc0MDg4NTAyMS4xNzA1MzI2Njc2*_tmna_ga_EP43E5EFVZ*MTcwNTMyNjY3NS4xLjAuMTcwNTMyNjY3NS42MC4wLjA.

Edit: My earlier attempts to compare the width of the 80 and 250 (and 200) were thwarted by lack of without-mirror width data for the 250. The only width spec that Toyota has published (that I've seen) is with mirrors. That said, Toyota obviously thinks the 250 is quite a bit narrower than the 200 for better off road capability.

Last edited:
The upper width being narrower on a 250 absolutely will make it fit down narrower trails better than a rig with more consistent top-to-bottom proportions. Frankly my GX470 is the same way...kind of wide at the bottom with a tapered/narrow greenhouse. The difference is when you are snaking through trees that encroach and grow into the trail....which I do all the time. A few inches narrower at the top will help keep you from whacking a tree trunk with your A-pillar or dragging a branch all down the side of the rig, particularly if you are in a off-camber situation. The same benefit would be present if you are in a narrow trail with rocks/ledges on each side as well.

I too prefer a relatively tall, narrow greenhouse, like the 80. Commanding view, protective of the cabin and windows.

To my eye, the 250's proportions look far more similar to the 80 than any other series.

Last edited:
"Compared to the outgoing 200 Series, the new Land Cruiser is 4.4 inches narrower and 1.2 inches shorter for more off-road prowess."

Cite (Toyota): 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Returns to its Origin - Toyota USA Newsroom - https://pressroom.toyota.com/2024-toyota-land-cruiser-returns-to-its-origin/?_gl=1*1zggja*_tmna_ga*MTc0MDg4NTAyMS4xNzA1MzI2Njc2*_tmna_ga_EP43E5EFVZ*MTcwNTMyNjY3NS4xLjAuMTcwNTMyNjY3NS42MC4wLjA.

Edit: My earlier attempts to compare the width of the 80 and 250 (and 200) were thwarted by lack of without-mirror width data for the 250. The only width spec that Toyota has published (that I've seen) is with mirrors. That said, Toyota obviously thinks the 250 is quite a bit narrower than the 200 for better off road capability.

The width is published as 1980mm / 77.95in in the worldwide press release:

1705331286020.png

@TexasFunRunner put together this graphic a while back:
1705331427896.png

The width is published as 1980mm / 77.95in in the worldwide press release:

View attachment 3533548

@TexasFunRunner put together this graphic a while back:
View attachment 3533549
Nice graphic and breakdown, @TexasFunRunner - I hadn't seen that.

Curious to see the basis for Toyota's US press release stating that the 250 (not GX) is 4.4" narrower than the 200.

Nice graphic and breakdown, @TexasFunRunner - I hadn't seen that.

Curious to see the basis for Toyota's US press release stating that the 250 (not GX) is 4.4" narrower than the 200.
Their basis was that of a new hire or intern typo with no experienced person reviewing the work!

At the time, I emailed the media contact person at Toyota Plano headquarters with the drawing and asked for clarification, in typical fashion, I never heard from them.

Along this same discussion line, the GX550 is really a Land Cruiser replacement not a GX460 replacement. GX460 dimensions - 192.1" L x 74.2" W x 74.2" H. 202X Land Cruiser Dimensions - 195" L x 78" W x 74" H. GX550 dimensions 197.05" L x 83.22" W x 75.59" H (77.9" W without mirrors). I was looking for a smaller SUV to replace my wife's car - she doesn't like how big the LC is and wants a more maneuverable vehicle that can tackle rough/unpaved roads that require higher clearance vehicles (read: you could do it in your Subaru, but you won't like the sounds you'll hear). The GX550 looks smaller in videos - maybe because I am envisioning the GX460 when I see one on screen..... Defender 90 at 101" long may be the one that checks the most boxes. Interesting that Toyota doesn't have a competitor to the 2-door Defender/Bronco/Wrangler. Maybe that is coming.

So the GX Overtrail is only available with 22” wheels? That is the very first thing I would do - toss those wheels and buy 18” wheels. Why only 22”?
Pretty sure the Overtrail trim comes with 18” wheels standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom