Is it supposed to be so rough? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks! I was looking for some explanation as to how the graphite would help. I guess it makes sense that as they flex there is friction especially on the outer edges But isn’t that what the greasable interleaf liners are for?
I think some of these springs are painted as an assembly or assembled when they are still wet, because they come in stuck together. Part of me wonders if this is why manufacturers call for a "break in period" which probably amounts to separating the leaves stuck to each other with paint so they can move independently as designed.

I took mine apart when I got them and was shocked how much it took to break the paint and free the leaves. After this they rode great from day one.
4D7DC79C-2657-41E9-9073-D1368D760CB8.jpeg

The reality is that no major company is going to reinvest time to redesign springs for the 40. Every 40 spring on the market is rated
50 to 100 percent stiffer than needed. Blame it on ARB for designing springs in the 70and 80s for the Aussie market where throwing
a weeks worth of kangaroo carcasses and outback gear on their 40s was commonplace. These were work trucks. American companies , rather
than doing the research , just patterned their offerings off the most popular existing design. A nice riding 40 spring will have a rate of about
205~225 in/lbs in the front, depending on motor choice, and 195~220 in/lbs in the rear, depending on things like hardtop or softtop, cage, etc.
OME's are about 350ish, Ranchos are in the 395 range. OME 40 springs have arate about 100lbs over the rate for their 60s. Their 60 springs ride well.
Even if OME dropped their rate to the 60 rate the ride would greatly improve. The springs can be built but someone has to invest the initial
wad of cash. One set at a time and you're looking at 1500.00 to 2000.00 a set before bushings. I went through all this in 08. Man-a-fre fronted the first 25 sets
then the economy crashed and the project went away. Al sold the company to BTB and the project ended

The reality is that no major company is going to reinvest time to redesign springs for the 40. Every 40 spring on the market is rated
50 to 100 percent stiffer than needed. Blame it on ARB for designing springs in the 70and 80s for the Aussie market where throwing
a weeks worth of kangaroo carcasses and outback gear on their 40s was commonplace. These were work trucks. American companies , rather
than doing the research , just patterned their offerings off the most popular existing design. A nice riding 40 spring will have a rate of about
205~225 in/lbs in the front, depending on motor choice, and 195~220 in/lbs in the rear, depending on things like hardtop or softtop, cage, etc.
OME's are about 350ish, Ranchos are in the 395 range. OME 40 springs have arate about 100lbs over the rate for their 60s. Their 60 springs ride well.
Even if OME dropped their rate to the 60 rate the ride would greatly improve. The springs can be built but someone has to invest the initial
wad of cash. One set at a time and you're looking at 1500.00 to 2000.00 a set before bushings. I went through all this in 08. Man-a-fre fronted the first 25 sets
then the economy crashed and the project went away. Al sold the company to BTB and the project ended

I just pulled my OME-13’s apart. They are the Med load Springs for the front, with 7 leafs plus the bottom overload leaf. Is there any change I can make to them to make them better (less stiff)? How about the rears OME-14?

The reality is that no major company is going to reinvest time to redesign springs for the 40. Every 40 spring on the market is rated 50 to 100 percent stiffer than needed. Blame it on ARB for designing springs in the 70and 80s for the Aussie market where throwing a weeks worth of kangaroo carcasses and outback gear on their 40s was commonplace. These were work trucks. American companies , rather than doing the research , just patterned their offerings off the most popular existing design. A nice riding 40 spring will have a rate of about 205~225 in/lbs in the front, depending on motor choice, and 195~220 in/lbs in the rear, depending on things like hardtop or softtop, cage, etc.
Lots of people don't realize the difference between the effects of spring rate and damping in a mass-spring-damper system.

Last edited:
My 2.5” procomp lift with bilstein shocks is the smoothest 40 I’ve ridden in. That said, it’s a tank compared to my 04 4Runner with a lift.

How many leaves are in your spring packs?
@Skreddy Do you have the redline kit? I was wanting to stay with Bilsteins, but wanted a full kit vs piecing it all together. Dobinsons yellows was my next thought. OME's are just too hard (with heavier springs etc).

@Skreddy Do you have the redline kit? I was wanting to stay with Bilsteins, but wanted a full kit vs piecing it all together. Dobinsons yellows was my next thought. OME's are just too hard (with heavier springs etc).

It’s essentially the redline kit but I pieced it together myself because I’m a cheapskate.

Guess I'm just too old and dumb. Have a number of cushy riding late SUVs. Wasn't just what ARB was offering these were stiff riding brand new. If you wanted cushy would buy a Jeep that was lightweight all around including the running gear that had to be upgraded if you really wanted to use. The civilian jeep followed the military. Those were designed with a very short life span. Land Cruisers were over built by comparison. The three friends of mine who bought FJ40s over the years it wasn't because it had a nice cushy ride. It was because how I abused it and nothing broke. People wonder why Toyota never imported the 70 series. Once the 80 series ended the 100 series was only available with independent suspension and no solid axle. Compared to other markets Americas are soft. Most original owners off Land Cruisers over the last few decades did not buy them to pounds on the rocks. For the cost of them new it second and third owners who finally start to really use them off. Now a see a teaser about the Land Cruiser coming back. Because they show the emblem on the 40 series apron. People we are going to get a new model based on the 40 series. If it's any but a slightly downgraded Lexus LX I will be surprised. Me I just continue along with my FJ40 and enjoy them for what they were built to be. Had my first for forty nine years. My FJ62, the last of the leaf springs and still all metal for thirty years. Call me dumb just don't call me soft.

63 - 84 ? I didnt think the larger spring eyes ( later model) fit the earlier small bushing fixed frame spring bracket ?

Guess I'm just too old and dumb. Have a number of cushy riding late SUVs. Wasn't just what ARB was offering these were stiff riding brand new. If you wanted cushy would buy a Jeep that was lightweight all around including the running gear that had to be upgraded if you really wanted to use. The civilian jeep followed the military. Those were designed with a very short life span. Land Cruisers were over built by comparison. The three friends of mine who bought FJ40s over the years it wasn't because it had a nice cushy ride. It was because how I abused it and nothing broke. People wonder why Toyota never imported the 70 series. Once the 80 series ended the 100 series was only available with independent suspension and no solid axle. Compared to other markets Americas are soft. Most original owners off Land Cruisers over the last few decades did not buy them to pounds on the rocks. For the cost of them new it second and third owners who finally start to really use them off. Now a see a teaser about the Land Cruiser coming back. Because they show the emblem on the 40 series apron. People we are going to get a new model based on the 40 series. If it's any but a slightly downgraded Lexus LX I will be surprised. Me I just continue along with my FJ40 and enjoy them for what they were built to be. Had my first for forty nine years. My FJ62, the last of the leaf springs and still all metal for thirty years. Call me dumb just don't call me soft.
I was 20 years old when I bought mine new and was very hard on it and never broke down off road. But it did have a better ride then a CJ5 just because of the longer wheel base. But the CJ5s I rode in did not have reverse shackle set up on the front so that compounded the rough ride for a short wheel base.

I appreciate the sentiments. I’m too am old and probably twice as dumb, but IMO there isn’t anything wrong with trying to improve your vehicle’s suspension and ride if it’s less that optimal and there are better options/solutions. I have the time to work on it. I have other vehicles if I'm looking for a smooth soft ride.

I can testify to @lcwizard 's post, he told me this info years ago when I set up my springs. Went with the 60's and it rode way better than any 40 with 40 springs. Now this year as @DangerNoodle stated, I linked the rear, and have been able to dial in the rear even better with off the shelf springs.

I should state, I did stretch things, which does make a huge difference. But, the proper spring rate will improve ride dramatically.

Just grease the packs and remove the leafs until you’ll feel comfortable. If it starts to sag, install a pair of leafs back.

I wonder who makes the Redline Springs? Do they make their own Springs? Does anyone have experience with them
on that product? How do they compare to Pro-Comp??

So, if you use the graphite paint, you shouldn’t need the greasable interleaf liners, correct?
I would not attract as much dirt. I am sure it is pretty dusty in AZ as where I live up here in WY. You need to ask someone that has the greaseable interleaf liners. I think I have seen others but have not looked into it yet. I am not ready for suspension yet.

I would not attract as much dirt. I am sure it is pretty dusty in AZ as where I live up here in WY. You need to ask someone that has the greaseable interleaf liners. I think I have seen others but have not looked into it yet. I am not ready for suspension yet.
@cruiseroutfit Kurt, what is your opinion? I’m not sure I should have used the graphite paint, but since I did, I’m now left wondering if I should still put in the interleaf liners ? Appreciate your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom