Is 93 the best year for the 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While I like my 93 and my long gone 94. I believe the last model year of the run is the most refined, and usually has the best computers, all the bugs are usually worked out. I would buy a 97 next, but hey why stop there, get in to the 100 series and by pass the older stuff. later powderpig

I think Toyota went to the Vicious coupled TC in 93. When did they swith back? Or did they?

with the 100 series , no viscous t/c in the 100

I personally prefer the 94 just because of the R134 AC. R12 is expensive to replace. And in Idaho we can buy R134 at Wal Mart or any auto parts store cheap. On these aging vehicles being able to service the AC yourself is a plus.

Really I would buy any year though. But since I've started modding this one. I think I'll just keep it. A really low mileage 97 would tempt me to switch.

I'm kinda fond of my 1996 Cruiser. :D Thank you.

GM

emr88 said:
Isn't there a big hp difference between the 93-94 FJ and 95-97 FJZ?

I thought I read somewhere the 93-94 is 155hp and the 95-97 is 202hp?

Is that correct? Are the tq numbers the same?
Um - NO!

Your getting FJ and FZJ mixed up - the '93-'97 have the same engine.

Tucker

Arleaux said:
You can't have panties unless its a 96 or 97

Nuff said

not correct!
You may certainly have panties if you don't have a 96-7. Just that they won't be OEM Lexette Pink...

either way, I don't care to know what you do or don't wear in private...! :D

e9999 said:
not correct!
You may certainly have panties if you don't have a 96-7. Just that they won't be OEM Lexette Pink...

either way, I don't care to know what you do or don't wear in private...! :D

I wear them in public thank you.

I like my:

1.) Tank-like bus tranny (no problems in 145K miles).

2.) Tank-like three-row brass core radiator

3.) Tank-like beefier drive plates (only on later `94s through the end of the 80)

4.) Uhh, tank-like R134...?

5.) Way more elegant interior (OK, IMHO).

My $0.02,

You're ALL WRONG!!!! :flipoff2: The worst years you can buy are the first and last! The first has bugs, the last they don't want to buy 100,000 new parts to finish making 10,000 cruisers and they don't wanna get all new dies for the machines so they use the worn out stuff and the best of the worst in the reject bin!

So, hands down the best year to buy while all the chickens are scratching for their 1997 is a.....................Drum roll please...................1996... Yaaaaaa,,, Ohhhhhhh, Ahhhhhhh...

Okay, well that's what I bought anyway and I'm very happy with it.. After spending 3 weeks looking for a 1997 I noticed the 96 was much less so I bought that and saved myself $4,000......

Regarding airbags, the propellant that expands them is one of the most toxic compounds known. I believe it is sodium azide. When the bag expands, the compound is consumed to an inert compound.

I've wondered: What happens if you have a wreck and break open an airbag propellant cannister? Another question is: Has this happened?

ginericfj80 said:
I personally prefer the 94 just because of the R134 AC. R12 is expensive to replace. And in Idaho we can buy R134 at Wal Mart or any auto parts store cheap. On these aging vehicles being able to service the AC yourself is a plus.

Really I would buy any year though. But since I've started modding this one. I think I'll just keep it. A really low mileage 97 would tempt me to switch.

a product called "freeze 12" works great in the R-12 system. it's about six bucks a can. I run it in my FJ60 and '91 fj80 as well as the 84 ford truck (trash hauler). no problems in the last four years

Naphtali said:
Regarding airbags, the propellant that expands them is one of the most toxic compounds known. I believe it is sodium azide. When the bag expands, the compound is consumed to an inert compound.

I've wondered: What happens if you have a wreck and break open an airbag propellant cannister? Another question is: Has this happened?

geez, doesn't anyone remember the 60's?
when chemicals were cool .
seriously, don't spread that info or every teenager in the country will be sucking the gas out of your airbags

Naphtali said:

It is sodium azide. It is fairly dangerous and toxic. However, in the event of an accident, an ignitor ignites the solid sodium azide, which releases nitrogen gas, which causes the air bag(s) to inflate.

So...if you're in a wreck, the ignitor converts the sodium azide into an inert gas...that's how it's supposed to work.

If you're asking how many times the system has malfunctioned...well, you'll have to google that info up yourself...

That said, what's your point? Do you have a better system that you're trying to market?

tucker74 said:
Ah - screw your mushroom grills :flipoff2:

Tucker

no mushroom grill on the rarest of FZJ-80's: a 96 LX450 :flipoff2:

sonoranfun said:
You're ALL WRONG!!!! :flipoff2: The worst years you can buy are the first and last! The first has bugs, the last they don't want to buy 100,000 new parts to finish making 10,000 cruisers and they don't wanna get all new dies for the machines so they use the worn out stuff and the best of the worst in the reject bin!

So, hands down the best year to buy while all the chickens are scratching for their 1997 is a.....................Drum roll please...................1996... Yaaaaaa,,, Ohhhhhhh, Ahhhhhhh...

sounds goo to me

Naphtali said:

hmmmm, as I am heading towards the inside of my 80 @ 50MPH I'll take that nice fluffy bag of toxic gas over the steering wheel/dash/windshield anyday

NorCalDoug:

As an urepentent Luddite, the "better system" than airbags I tout is called seat belts. My preference would be for a vehicle without airbags.

N.B.: I drive a safe, sane 25 miles per hour.

Can't we all just get along? :flipoff2:

Obviously, i am going to vote that the 94 was the best year.

My sister drives a stock 95 with 140k miles......mine, at 252k miles is alot more soliid, enough said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom