Is 93 the best year for the 80? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It has my vote. Newer engine, floating rear, diff locks, heavier duty trans (so I've heard), TOYOTA grill and NO fetching air bags! :flipoff2: It seems like there are a lot of people here who have or had a 93. What say ye?

Nope.

97 model year would be the best.

Nothing wrong with air bags -- so far I've heard of not a single off-road accidental air bag deployment.

Better transmission.
ODB-II

The list goes on...

The 93 was the first model year of the 1FZ-FE in the 80 series...they hadn't worked the kinks out yet

:flipoff2: :D

Hey! A new topic. We haven't had this discussion in at least a week. :D

Airbags are good. The later trans doesn't slip or flare like the earlier ones. OBDII is easier to get readers for. the cats are better on the later ones. MAF is better on the later ones.
Everything else you mention is available on the later years except the grill. Buy one on ebay for $20 and bolt it in place.

Buy the last year of a product development, not the first.

well, if i was to buy another one would have to go with 97, just because its the newest of the 80's. that said, i like the tank-likeness (acceleration wise too) of the 91 and it keeps my wife from speeding too much (to some degree)

oh, that and 97 is the year of the pickle pusher kings rig :)

'93 is available cheap with all the goodies.

Mine cost less than half of my mom's 97, with similar mileage plus lockers.

Cheaper=more money for fun stuff=better year.

Is the '93 best year of the 80s? NO :flipoff2:
Of course the 97, put it this way first one came out they did good but after few years past they improved more not just to make it look better but built for last.You guys known those already from the consumer report not just the 80s but any other auto manufacturer out there pretty much did same thing, so the last one 4.5 straight 6 with chain around your neck :D

hmmm, I wonder.... maybe if I had spent the extra five grand for a 97... might still have a stock cruiser in the drive...might be thinking , gee should I launch the boat at this muddy sloppy steep ass cliff they call a drift boat slide? Instead I have bad lifted, locked, mtr'd, winched cruiser capable of going round redneck wranglers spitn' tobacco at me in my leather seats....still have $3500 left over to spend on the missus to pacify for removing running boards.... naw you are right a 97 is better....

Gumby said:
The later trans doesn't slip or flare like the earlier ones.

Don't forget the solenoid problems that several A442F owners have had.

just have a look at the great (!) recent poll on "what year is your rig" to find out what the wise men on this forum did... :D

93s and 97s are the only years to have - 1st and last of the series....

DougM

Jenny cruiser, dont listen to those other guys with the 97's (they dont know anything :D :flipoff2: ).. I think I will stick with my bus tranny, even though I just rebuilt it because it started to slip in reverse :frown: :mad: ................................it was a bad neutral safety switch causing the slipping in reverse, not the tranny ;) ..

Last edited:
Best is probably the '90. It's almost an antique and can still run with the latest models.

Kalawang

93 is w/o a doubt the best vintage of this particular wine. :D

I'm not sure about wich. I don't have the luxury of an auto I've goto chang gears by my self :frown: . I don't have leather seats just cloth :frown: no climate control, goto do that myself to :frown: . When ever I put fuel in it is usualy greasy and slimy from the previous person fueling up :mad: .

But after all that I wouldnt be without my 92 turbo :D diesel gxl, five speed :D and the floating rear end :cheers: And factory sub tank (38 Gallons total) :D . I'm glad I live in Aus.. :cheers:

Last edited:
Don't forget the 93 had the R12 refridgerant that blew ice cubes...my next rig will be a 97, but have to make sure about the head gasket issue isn't an ISSUE

Isn't there a big hp difference between the 93-94 FJ and 95-97 FJZ?

I thought I read somewhere the 93-94 is 155hp and the 95-97 is 202hp?

Is that correct? Are the tq numbers the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom