Introduction Thread...Who are you, and what do you drive? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey everyone! I'm Brian from just north of Pittsburgh in Wexford, PA. I have a 2008 GX470 with SSO sliders and 275/70s. I plan to upgrade the suspension and add skids this summer. I had a 2009 Tacoma prior to my GX and I've owned several Jeeps :hillbilly: starting with a 1985 CJ7 that was my first car back in 1999. I just submitted my membership application and payment. Hopefully I can make it out east for some wheeling soon.

full

Welcome aboard Brian, thanks for signing up.
We have a few other westerners here, maybe some will chime in?
I'll get your application processed and we'll get a membership pack out to you shortly.
PM me with your t-shirt size.
:cheers:

Hey everyone! I'm Brian from just north of Pittsburgh in Wexford, PA. I have a 2008 GX470 with SSO sliders and 275/70s. I plan to upgrade the suspension and add skids this summer. I had a 2009 Tacoma prior to my GX and I've owned several Jeeps :hillbilly: starting with a 1985 CJ7 that was my first car back in 1999. I just submitted my membership application and payment. Hopefully I can make it out east for some wheeling soon.

full
Welcome Brian! Glad to see you joining up with the Keystone folks. Great group of guys to say the least!

Nice. I grew up near Washington. I don't get out enough either. I used to wheel my Jeeps in Greene, Fayette, or WV almost ever weekend before I got married haha. I'd love to get the GX out and see what it can do.

Last edited:
Good to see guys from the western part of the state!

If you guys have wheeling spots out there, I'm positive there are a few of us that would like to come out that way to expand our horizons for the monthly runs!

One can only go to Rausch and Anthracite so many times....

Nice GX! I have one too. Love it. The Air Suspension on mine is finicky as hell.

Nice. I grew up near Washington. I don't get out enough either. I used to wheel my Jeeps in Greene, Fayette, or WV almost ever weekend before I got before I got married haha. I'd love to get the GX out and see what it can do.

That 4.7 V8 is pretty smooth. I like it.
The imterior is pretty decent. I wont take the truck offroad (I have the 80) but want an aux fuel tank and a supercharger :cool:

Good to see guys from the western part of the state!

If you guys have wheeling spots out there, I'm positive there are a few of us that would like to come out that way to expand our horizons for the monthly runs!

One can only go to Rausch and Anthracite so many times....
There aren't too many 4x4 parks out this way. The few that are here are owned by clubs and only open to the public during events, like Big Rubbers (Doe Valley I think they call their park) in PA and Phoenix Off Road in Ohio. Maybe we could work with one to rent the park for a wheeling/camping weekend if we have enough folks?

Scrubgrass isn't too far from Pittsburgh and it's open to the public last time I checked. I've never been there though and it looks more like quad/dirt bike trails. There are some trails in Wellsville, Ohio that used to be owned by a 4x4 club, but I think the club disbanded and the trails are unofficially open to the public now. Most of the good spots I used to frequent are either illegal or questionably legal now because of people destroying land, leaving garbage, or getting injured over the years. Social media exposure has really had a negative impact on local wheeling/camping spots.

Mountain State Overland mapped an "overland route" of unmaintained state roads that starts near Bruceton Mills, WV and runs down through Virginia I think. I've inadvertently driven on a lot of those roads near the beginning in Bruceton Mills because we used to camp and wheel all over that area when I was in college. The ones I've driven are mostly really rough dirt/rock roads (not gravel, like natural rocks sticking out of the road). Far from rock crawling, but it might be a fun weekend camping trip to do the trail down to Canaan Valley into Blackwater Falls State Park.

Mountain State Overland mapped an "overland route" of unmaintained state roads that starts near Bruceton Mills, WV and runs down through Virginia I think. I've inadvertently driven on a lot of those roads near the beginning in Bruceton Mills because we used to camp and wheel all over that area when I was in college. The ones I've driven are mostly really rough dirt/rock roads (not gravel, like natural rocks sticking out of the road). Far from rock crawling, but it might be a fun weekend camping trip to do the trail down to Canaan Valley into Blackwater Falls State Park.
This last paragraph sounds great and doable over a weekend.

See some preview here:

Those would all be fun, I think.

The Purple Lizard guys were thinking of doing Allegheny National Forest at some point; I don't know if they have a timetable for that.

I find little things all over, but I doubt that it's enough to have everyone come into town.

But...I got sort-of unofficial confirmation that I found one of a very few ways to avoid posted property and yet get to the reservoir, something I've been trying to find. It's a mess of a "road," and I did get stuck on it, but this is a pic of the path before I buried the little guy up to the frame.

mud1.jpg

Former logging trail. Getting the batteries, winch, etc. on shortly so that when it warms up some, we'll go for it again!

Hi all, another western PA GX owner stopping by to say hello. New to the 150 GX/4R/Prado platform and already love it. Previously had a 93 RR Classic that was great to look at while I lit money on fire. Hope to meet you out on the trails this year.

Patrick

I’ll speak up now that i’m working on a rig again.

I’m in Southern NJ - Cherry Hill/Marlton area. Grew up here, started wheeling in the Pine Barrens in the early 2000’s but spent 15 years on the West Coast in CA & WA. I’ve owned & wheeled Rangers, Bronco II’s, a ‘79 Full Size Bronco. Then had an ‘84 Toyota pickup that started stock on 33’s, then Diamond axles & 37’s, then finally built 60’s & 37’s. Wheeled Rubicon, JV/Hammers, Hollister, Bald Mountain, Swamp Lake, Moonrocks outside of Reno. Pit crewed for a few privateer KOH teams, rig was set up as light chase, pretty fast on course with leaf springs and good shocks. Sold it when we moved to WA, bought my current FJ40. Moved back to NJ a year and a half ago to be closer to family, my parents live 5 blocks away and my sister lives 3 blocks away. Something about having kids grow up having their grandparents and cousins close by. Spent the last year working on the house we bought, and this year want to get the rig done and out on the trails. Would love to find others local who know their way around, it’s been a while since i’ve wheeled the east coast.

Build thread with pics of the old truck here:

Welcome back.
What direction are you taking this current build?
Most of our regular wheelers are on 33s, some on 35s, and a few have or are stepping up to 36/37s, but not necessary around here....

It’s got a nearly new set of 33’s on it now, and thats how ’ll keep it for a while. The front axle will get RCV’s and the whole rig is getting built for 37’s because thats one day where I want it to be. My last rig had 37’s and I wheeled with guys on 40’s and 42’s all over the Hammers and Rubicon so I’m used to being the small tire guy in a bigger group. Going back to 33’s now will help teach me how to drive again, it’s been over 4 years since i’ve really been on the trails. If I start on 33’s and the wheelbase is too long, 35’s are a reasonably cheap step up and I can keep the 15” wheels. I loved my 37” Toyos and Racelines, but thats out of the question for now.

✂ this is the closest I could find to a sawsall. All those updates and no useful smilies or imogy's

✂ this is the closest I could find to a sawsall. All those updates and no useful smilies or imogy's

you didn't look hard enough. 😡:beaver: angry beaver for the win.

Hey everyone, figured it's time I joined the club! My name is Nate and I live in Carlisle, but I grew up in Lancaster. I didn't know I loved land cruisers until 2 years ago when I flew to Georgia and drove home in one. It's primary purpose was supposed to serve as a tow vehicle for a travel trailer but I've since built the thing and keep telling my wife this is the last year for the travel trailer!

I've had a ton of fun working on this thing, and trying to find a place it won't go. Made it out to HIH last summer with some friends and will be headed back again this summer with my wife and 3 kids.

I have the May run on my calendar, and am excited to meet a bunch of you and hit some trails. I've never actually been there and haven't done a ton of technical off roading. My goal is to not beat up my truck too much :)

I'm in the blue, this was on the White Rim Trail last summer.
Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 10.24.12 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom