Introducing myself to the IH8MUD 60-Series Wagons crew! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DougRFJ62

GOLD Star
Threads
Introducing myself to the IH8MUD crew. Howdy. I have had the 88 FJ62 "The Moose" for 16 years and it has been garaged most of that time, 180K. We have moved "The Moose" by transport from California to Washington, from Washington to Arizona and finally back to Southern California. No way in hell I would sell. Finally got settled and it is time to start wrenching. I am looking for some tech advice and opinions on lowering the suspension or replacing the standard shackles with inversion shackles. The current suspension is OME, shocks are shot but the springs are in good shape , tires 32x11.50 BFGs (13yrs old). The front shackles are 5 1/4" center to center and the rear are 3 1/2 center to center. Is it reasonable to put inversions on the front (3" center to center) and 3.5" inversions the rear? I am looking to replace the front steering stabilizer, shocks and shackles to lower "The Moose" just a bit. Or would replacing tires with 33x10.50, shocks and front stabilizer be a better economical choice. replacing the Buy from SOR or cruiser outfitters? I am positive I will have more questions in the future and I am looking forward to interacting with the IH8MUD community.

Best
DougR
KF7SJE

S7301712.JPG
S7301698.JPG
S7301700.JPG
S7301700.JPG

Greetings!

The stock front shackes that Toyota supplied with the car are approximately 3" center to center. The rears, 3-1/4"

So just replacing your front shackes will drop you down 2".

But you've got to take a look at how much space you've currently got between the front bump stop and the axle housing. If it's only 2" then you'll be riding on the bump stops if the shackle length is shortened 2".

Of course, replacing the front shocks and stabilizer won't effect the lift. It sounds like you have stock shackles in the rear, but lift shackles in the front. Maybe they were put in to counter act the "stink bug" effect that people frequently see with the OME lifts, in which the rear sits higher than the front. If it rides OK as is, I wouldn't change a thing. If you really want to lower it, I'd sell the OME springs and front shackles, then buy Spector's grocery getter stock springs along with some stock front shackles (And get that driver's seat reupholstered).

Great Points Output Shaft and 89GasHog! I do not want to put $$$ into something that does not need repair. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Put $$$ into seat upholstery :).The shocks are just about kaput and those should be replaced. The tires are worn and the rear have signs of stress cracks. I looking into 31x10.50 or 33 x 10.50 that obviously have no clearance issues. The front stabilizer OMESD24 was easy to identify, however the front and rear OME shock part numbers are not visible. Front 22" and Rear 20.5". I have a 2-3 inch lift by front shackle length, so thinking shocks for 2-3 inch lift. Replace with OME shocks? Any suggestions on shocks/ manufacture?

When you say "inversion" shackles I think what you are meaning to say is "anti-inversion" shackles, meant to prevent the lead from inverting at full articulation. Depending on how you wheel they might not be necessary.

Also, 13 year old tires might not be such a wise idea. Rubber degrades over time and heat.

Nice FJ62! I love the two tone!

Damn good looking 62. Welcome to the addiction.

If you want to get OME shocks, they are expensive, but they are supposed to be excellent shocks.

Contact Kurt at
cruiseroutfitters.com

That's where I got mine.

Or you could just order some generic Monroe or Rancho shocks for half the price at 4wparts wholesalers and pray the bushings and shocks fit.

There are lots of shocks that will work. Most parts stores have catalogs with vehicle suitability.

I'd buy them from a shop that sells Land Cruiser suspension products though. Then you'll know that they will actually fit and work with your cruiser and you can talk to someone who knows your car.

I would
The tires are worn and the rear have signs of stress cracks. I looking into 31x10.50 or 33 x 10.50 that obviously have no clearance issues..

I would go with 31" tires to keep your transmission happy. OME shocks are of good quality and last longer than most brands in my experience.

Nice looking cruiser. I've always liked that particular 2-tone combo.

From where I'm sitting your rig has a pretty nice stance. Love my 33x10.50x15's, think you'd like them too.

Welcome!

-Ed

First of all, thanks for all the welcomes. Holy Smoke I am a knucklehead! I scrap 16 years of dust, dirt ad grime. OME shocks from 1995 .The front shocks are OME N88 and the rear are N42. I was looking ARB pdf for OME suspension systems and the N42s description is "Pre '86 models have 16mm mounting pins and use N95, N42 and N89." So do I have a pre '86 OME lift kit (Fj60) on my 88' FJ62? I am a bit confused. Any ideas from the pics?
20150825_173147.jpg
20150825_183401.jpg
20150825_172605.jpg

Yes Indeed. Sent Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters an email with pictures. After pondering last night, I am thinking I might have a pre '86 OME lift kit (Fj60) on my 88' FJ62 or different lift/leaf springs with OME shocks. After close inspection the bushings on the back are bulging and it is time to replace the babies after 16 years. I'll update with Kurt's response.

Thanks again for the order, your shocks left today. Great looking 62 :cool:

Good looking 62!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom