Builds Introducing FZJ 80 "Dingo" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

shermantank55

SILVER Star
Threads
While in Afghanistan last year, I had the privilege of driving Land Cruisers and Hilux trucks on a daily basis. With Sherman and Cadet at home, my free time found me searching the Internet for a more modern platform for expedition driving and family camping. Sherman is great, but after driving the 105 series I decided to upgrade to more convenience and power. My inspiration was our own uparmored HZJ 105 and some Norwegian 100 series diesels. The troopy was also around, though I knew it would be tough to afford in the US. I tried, but soon ruled out diesel as California has become very restrictive for importing diesel engines.
Below are some of the Land Cruisers I was driving (didn't get to drive the troopy, but saw it every day):
PA010064.jpg
PA010069.jpg
105.jpg

Last edited:
Found the Dingo

Upon my return, I found a 1995 FZJ 80 with a freshly rebuilt engine and 2 1/2" OME suspension. We test drove it and then drove it home.
dingo1.jpg
dingo2.jpg
dingo3.jpg

Gone is the soccer mom

So, got it home and couldn't wait. Removed the flares, running boards, bumpers, and removed the remaining parts of the luggage rack and prepped for paint. Oh yeah, and we added 255/85 BFG KM2 tires to the stock wheels. Someday I will add stock steel wheels, but not in the budget now. Don and Andy, thanks for the help welding the holes closed.
DSCN0063.jpg
DSCN0069.jpg
DSCN0092.jpg

Last edited:
nice! love the ones your drove over in Afghanistan. Thank you for your service :)

Sold Sherman

While starting on the new LC, I found a new home for Sherman. Redeem (Hwy22) will be taking Sherman to Jackson Hole, Wyoming. He has helped me acquire bumpers, a roof rack and snorkel. After looking at various options, I decided the new LC should be named Dingo : "an ancient, free roaming, primitive canine unique to the continent of Australia, specifically the outback."
DSCN0116.jpg
800px-Dingo_on_the_road.jpg
DSCN0108.jpg

Nice job man! It looks like from the pics you have a really thin texture; did you roll it on like I did?

My Al's is still holding up great - I really need to update my thread too with some pics, but it's great stuff.

Cheers.

Clark

Still under construction

My #1 assistant has been helping with a bunch of the work. Snorkel is in thanks to Rich and his metal shears, wheels are black and we built a drawer setup for the back. Thanks Alex.
New LC and Alex.jpg
DSCN0072.jpg
wheel.jpg

Last edited:
More drawer details

Used 5/8 ply for top and sides of box and drawers; 1/2 ply for bottoms. Fashioned catches with Fastex buckles and pulls out of Nylon webbing. Secured to the floor with turnbuckles. Slide in and out on furniture glides.
DSCN0074.jpg
DSCN0077.jpg
DSCN0079.jpg

Nice job man! It looks like from the pics you have a really thin texture; did you roll it on like I did?

My Al's is still holding up great - I really need to update my thread too with some pics, but it's great stuff.

Cheers.

Clark

I used rollers like you recommended. A couple glitches that I will always see, but I really like the fine texture. Anxious to get outdoors and test the stuff. Thanks.

^^^right on. I have plenty of glitches in mine too, but overall I dig it. I'm tempted to do one more coat (a 3rd) to smooth things out a bit, but who knows when that'll happen - maybe if I ever happen to scratch it up). Your rig is looking good, congrats.

ARB roof rack installed

I decided on the touring rack from ARB. On a rainy day some friends came over and now it's on. Very happy with it's design. Oh and a vintage 40 emblem for the back.
Dingo 1.jpg
DSCN0109.jpg

Last edited:
^^^right on. I have plenty of glitches in mine too, but overall I dig it. I'm tempted to do one more coat (a 3rd) to smooth things out a bit, but who knows when that'll happen - maybe if I ever happen to scratch it up). Your rig is looking good, congrats.
Two coats was all I could handle. 6 hours in a mask and my neighbor said you could smell the stuff a block away. Thanks for the advice. A quart at a time was all I could get through before it kicked off. The rollers worked great.

That looks great! Any details on how you applied it like the kind of rollers and how you got the color? Were did you get the Al's Liner?

I'm so close to doing this with my LX 450 Tan top like you and then the LX flairs in Olive Drab.

:cheers:

Looks awesome!

I am in the same boat with my new 450. It is the gold over silver paint scheme, flares will come off soon, and then a tan paint job. The wife won't go for bed liner on the body, but i will shoot it with an industrial paint that I have used on my 69 F100 and a canopy for my 12 valve Dodge.

Could you post a pic from the side that shows the whole rig? I have the same lift and am looking at 315s vs 255s in the KM2. The 255s fit okay on the stock alloy wheels?

I just noticed the vintage "4wheeldrive" emblem on the liftgate! I have the same one from my 1st FJ40 I bought at age 17 (25 years ago) and planned to put it on the back of mine... COOL!

Last edited:
Awesome rig! Glad to see another Nor Cal 80... Looking forward to seeing the continued progress!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom