Builds Introducing FZJ 80 "Dingo" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wonderful work. well done!

Wow, I almost repainted my truck but I think I'm sold on doing this.

Family Portrait

Sherman will be gone on Saturday, so I thought I should get a shot of the three LCs together before then. Going to miss the 55, but I don't need a fleet and it's going to a good home.
DSCN1608.jpg

how far does a gallon of the stuff go?....when rolling/brushing.

I used 2 1/2 gallons for two coats on Dingo. Some of that was waste when the material started kicking off before I could use it.
DSCN0097.jpg

Greg, Dingo is looking great! Packed my sleeping bag and will be getting up early for my 0640 flight.

Love the skinny tall KM2s on blacked out wheels. Going that route once I wear out the my 295 TerraGs on the Hundy.

Before we work on the bumper and winch tomorrow, I will have to run down to pick up my RTT from Mudrack before he closes shop.

See you tomorrow around 1400.

Last edited:
ARB Rear bumper

I selected the ARB rear bumper for Dingo. I liked the integrated hitch and the hidden swing-outs. The intent for Dingo is offroad family travel, not too technical, so I didn't need rock crawling strength. I did need to be able to tow a trailer.

After six hours of construction, it is finally installed. We struggled to fit the swing-outs for over two hours. The bushings and pins had very tight tolerances and were a nightmare to install. Also, it must have come with over 300 pieces-a combination of Lego, erector and Ikea furniture sets all in one. The good news is the instructions are very good.

Also, it is designed for the factory fender flares and mud flaps, so there is a gap at the front. I installed aftermarket flaps. I do like the finish and function and it is very robust. The locking mechanisms are very positive and easy to operate. I also like the turn/stop lights integrated into the bumper. The can holder will fit a Scepter can, but I may modify it in the future to fit two side by side.

Just based on the ordeal to install it, I would not recommend it to another at this point unless you have a good supply of patience, a couple friends to help hold up 50 pound swing outs for 30 minutes at a time, and a lot of beer.

Greg
DSCN0158.jpg
DSCN0159.jpg

Hi-Lift Jack mounting

While still figuring out how to set up Dingo, I decided to try to mount the hi-lift inside the cargo area. I used 1/4" slotted steel and tied it into the seatbelt post and handle post. Seems pretty stout. I also tied the bottom to one of the third seat mounting bolts.
DSCN0156.jpg

While still figuring out how to set up Dingo, I decided to try to mount the hi-lift inside the cargo area. I used 1/4" slotted steel and tied it into the seatbelt post and handle post. Seems pretty stout. I also tied the bottom to one of the third seat mounting bolts.

Greg,
Nice work!! I like the name Dingo. I would never recognize the truck. I love what you did with it.
Glad to see the truck in a good hands.
Alex

"Not sure what size tires were on the troopy or the 100. Both vehicles were set up by the company that makes the Arctic Cruisers."

MEDEVAC based on the Toyota LC 78
Engine: 4.164cc, 6 cylinders in line, OHC
Turbo charger: Option
Filtration: Extra heavy duty fuel and air filtration
Gearbox: 5 speed manual, dual-range
Brakes front/rear: Disc/drum
Tyres front/rear: 315x75R16
Rim: Hutchinson 16x8 split rim
Run Flat: Hutchinson VFI
Suspension front/rear: Heavy duty Coil/Leaf springs
Shock absorbers: Heavy duty with extended oil reservoir
Winch: Detachable winch with front and rear mounting.
Dimensions: Length: 4.990mm
Width: 1.770mm
Height: 2.120mm
Wheelbase: 2.980mm
Ground clearance: 420 mm under belly
Number of doors: 3
Seats front/rear: 4, two front and two rear.
Fuel tank: 2 ea, 90 + 90 litres.
Light equipment:
Xenon extra headlamps
Remote controlled Search light
2 x high mounted back up lights
4 x side faced working lights
IR lights
Black out capacity
AC Included.
Medical equipment: On request.
Air compressor: Viair with air tanks and outlets.
EL: 12V with dual 105 AH batteries.
120A generator
24 V converter.
Power outlets as requested

Did you give any thought to ordering the spray gun that Al´s offers? I think this has sold me on bedlining my entire truck. Just wondering if the spray gun would save material.

Did you give any thought to ordering the spray gun that Al´s offers? I think this has sold me on bedlining my entire truck. Just wondering if the spray gun would save material.

I did think about it, but decided to roll it. I painted our FJ-40 with a HVLP but decided the texture would be better by rolling. Spraying would definitely go faster and may save material. See Ardentyota's thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/400405-lined-my-80-tan.html as he sprayed his cruiser with the tan Al's.

Cheers

Got pics of that ARB rear bumper with the swings deployed?
Not yet, but I will try to take some for you this week. Both open almost exaclty 90 degrees and allow easy opening of tailgate. Each has a gas assist and a manual lock out if you are concerned it will close on you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom