Front end damage thoughts on lx470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking at this as a potential purchase, seller has been pretty open about everything, it was in this accident last year, declared total loss, then bought at auction by current seller.
Runs and drives, no airbag deployed. Has around 170k.
Doesn’t appear to be any frame damage, I would replace the bumper with a ARB or similar and getting a fender, lights etc. I don’t know how difficult the bent AC lines are to replace? the previous owner apparently got rid of the rear ac per a sticker on engine, and I’ve got kids and dogs so would have to figure that out in the future. I’m waiting on under carriage pics.
They said no damage to condenser.
Not sure on recent maintenance, had regular maintenance per the car fax though till last year, but it doesn’t specify what. I don’t care about the salvage title.

Thoughts on asking price and how much work this would take? I would do most of the work but not looking for a huge project.

IMG_2151.jpeg

IMG_2150.jpeg

IMG_2149.jpeg

IMG_2148.jpeg

IMG_2147.jpeg

A couple more

IMG_2145.jpeg

IMG_2146.jpeg

Honestly, this seems like a pretty big project to take on. You have body work, AC work (both from the accident and the rear system leak), and whatever maintenance is due. The rear AC leak is common and can be a bear to correct. Honestly this would have to be a pretty smoking deal to make it worth the chance, like sub $4k IMO.

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it! I’ve been looking for awhile now for something affordable.
does anyone see anything else that would need fixed/replacing?
These are stupidly expensive in my area, this truck if not damaged with these miles would be and easy $16-20k. The amount of rust I’ve seen in those pics is pretty common around here so I’m not concerned with that. I’ve been looking for awhile and watching the market.
Pricing things out, a fender ~$500 and comes already painted, headlights are ~200, and I was already going to add the aftermarket bumper no matter what I got. Those ac lines are not expensive, I can wait to fix the rear. but adding the rear back is obviously an unknown.

I've seen that listed, it definitely caught my eye. Looks like a perfect candidate for an LC nose swap. The rust in those pics doesn't bother me one bit. I'd consider it if I had the time, space and it was in the $7-8k range.

I don't have time at this moment but I will respond a bit later when I have the chance to type some stuff out.

In short, those are the types of deals I look for. I wouldn't be quick to run away like others are suggesting. I'll respond more in a bit...

(Edit: in the meantime tell me where it's at so I can go buy it, j/k) 😉

just from experience, you may also need: hood, passenger headlight assembly, both corner lights, grill, the trim pieces around the headlights, the bar across the bottom of the headlights plus the brackets, washer resevoir, driver inner fender will need some massaging, those a/c lines are all kinked

rear a/c mostly runs in the third row seat

atleast the title should be clean and not show it was a loss, but it will still show up on carfax.

my WAG is it was bought at auction for $2500-3500 no idea what they are trying to sell it for

Last edited:
Don't run away. But don't overpay. 100 series go for a lot at auction because the middle eastern countries buy them up and they're willing to pay a lot. So it's hard to get a deal on one at auction. I rebuild wrecked cars on the side so I watch a lot of auctions. . I bought an '06 100 a couple months ago that I'm still working on slowly here and there when I have time.

1) That rust doesn't scare me. It's surface rust on a thick frame. That's normal to those of us that live in the top half of the US. Southern guys don't understand and I'm jealous of them. But obviously check the vehicle over in person and check the problem areas of the body.

2) The damage in those pictures doesn't scare me. I don't see any rad support damage but I would be prepared for doing a little pulling somehow. I've found that fenders are around $625 shipped and you might get that down by ordering multiple panels that get shipped freight.
I'm going off of reflections but I think both fenders have damage. Price it out as if you have to replace both. If you don't, good. Hood looks trashed towards the back. You'll need hood hinges as well. Headlights, grill, and misc. pieces. It adds up quick. Pretty easy to have $1,000 in paint w/o labor.

Doing some really rough math I would say roughly $5,000 in parts and paint. Yes you might be able to get that down... but it can go up pretty quickly too (there is ALWAYS hidden damage) so don't underestimate it. If I paint fenders I blend into the doors which is more work.

Sooo... now you can do some math and figure out what you would give for it after you inspect it in person. You said you don't want a big project, that absolutely is light damage but it's a big project.

3) Here in Iowa I can buy "salvage" title cars at auction w/o a dealers license. I can not sell a "salvage" title vehicle to another person. I can sell a salvage title vehicle to a dealer. From what you say, that 100 has a salvage title. I don't know the laws in your state but he might not be able to transfer that salvage title over to you.

When I say "salvage" title I'm talking about a non-registerable salvage title. Once a vehicle is repaired and inspected it can then be titled as "rebuilt" (here in Iowa) and at that point I can put plates on it and sell it to anyone. I hope this helps you know what questions to ask.

I look for vehicles like that and it looks like a fun project to me. But it depends on the condition of the rest of it and the price.

Last edited:
I agree with the above
only thing different in Montana, any rig older than 15 years or maybe it is 20 years just gets a clean title, not branded or salvage
the wreck will still show up on carfax or similar.
I've bought a few, some are parts rigs and some I put back together. I take pics of before and after so when I sell them, the buyer can see what was done.

That's a worthy project and a lot of stuff didn't get squashed, but I think I read that there are no aftermarket hoods for an LX, so you need to either get a dealer hood or a used hood.

I would price out all the parts and paint work, but as @Import Driver said, I think it's $5K in fiddling around. And don't forget the rest of the truck's possible needs - does it need tires, windshield, radiator, timing belt, brakes, battery, etc? If you want the challenge it's one thing, but rarely do you make money on this sort of repair.

What's the asking price? $2-3k maybe. That going to be a lot of work though and I think you'll find more wrong as you start piecing it back together.

LC prices have gotten stupid expensive since 2020. If your budget is tight you might consider looking at other Toyota models. If I had to replace my LC today, I'd consider GX's and V8 4th gen 4Runners in addition to LC's.

Completely agree with @MountaineerLC; I wouldn't pay more than $3k, since you have to replace the entire front end (Lexus models have a lot of little parts Land Cruisers don't have) and no rear A/C and no functioning A/C at all due to lack of piping. As is, this is a trail rig. I'd argue that point.

Having said that, I'd take it in a minute. It's work to repair, not complicated, but still time consuming, and parts will cost a fortune. Plan on $2k in parts for the front end alone, regardless of how you want it to look. You may have to replace some parts with salvage parts because they are NLA, and those will have to be repaired. I just went through this with my son's 2000 LX470 last year.

I’m looking at this as a potential purchase, seller has been pretty open about everything, it was in this accident last year, declared total loss, then bought at auction by current seller.
Runs and drives, no airbag deployed. Has around 170k.
Doesn’t appear to be any frame damage, I would replace the bumper with a ARB or similar and getting a fender, lights etc. I don’t know how difficult the bent AC lines are to replace? the previous owner apparently got rid of the rear ac per a sticker on engine, and I’ve got kids and dogs so would have to figure that out in the future. I’m waiting on under carriage pics.
They said no damage to condenser.
Not sure on recent maintenance, had regular maintenance per the car fax though till last year, but it doesn’t specify what. I don’t care about the salvage title.

Thoughts on asking price and how much work this would take? I would do most of the work but not looking for a huge project.

View attachment 3418717

View attachment 3418718

View attachment 3418719

View attachment 3418720

View attachment 3418721
What year is it? I don't think you ever said.

Thank you everyone for the replies and information, that is really helpful in getting an idea of what all might be needed.
(Thank you import driver for the informative reply, and good to know about title status 3 puppies)
The more I looked at pictures, read on here, and tried to price things out the more I realized it would be a little more expensive than I thought. None of the work looks very hard though. I fortunately don’t mind if it’s not perfect just functional. I’m not looking to flip it, but plan on keeping it for a while.

I’m hoping to look at it in the next week or two, get a better idea of the damage and then see what the seller will take, I’m not committed at this point.
thanks again

Thank you everyone for the replies and information, that is really helpful in getting an idea of what all might be needed.
(Thank you import driver for the informative reply, and good to know about title status 3 puppies)
The more I looked at pictures, read on here, and tried to price things out the more I realized it would be a little more expensive than I thought. None of the work looks very hard though. I fortunately don’t mind if it’s not perfect just functional. I’m not looking to flip it, but plan on keeping it for a while.

I’m hoping to look at it in the next week or two, get a better idea of the damage and then see what the seller will take, I’m not committed at this point.
thanks again
Keep us updated. I'm curious either way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom