Front end clunk pulling boat when braking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It started when heavy braking pulling the boat. It feels like something just shifting briefly in the front end. I feel it though the driver's floor. Just a quick "clunk". Then later when accelerating or sometimes hitting a bump it's like it's a reset clunk in the other direction. Multiple hard brakes don't result in repeated clunks. Something's shifting, back and forth perhaps?

I put it on a lift and put my breaker bar on all suspension bolts visible, including shock top bolts. It seems to be getting worse to the point I can duplicate it without the boat behind. Hard braking, clunk. Subsequent hard-ish acceleration, re-clunk.

I've read many of the clunk threads. My CVs and hubs are brand new. Bearings recently done.

Transmission or diff bushings? Are these DIY-able?

Breaker bar is one thing, not sure whether or not you can really lift your front diff with it.
I'd have someone else sitting in the car and shifting while you're laying under it. I also looked for a failure and eventually I found my diff bushings were bad and I could see movement while shifting.

It started when heavy braking pulling the boat. It feels like something just shifting briefly in the front end. I feel it though the driver's floor. Just a quick "clunk". Then later when accelerating or sometimes hitting a bump it's like it's a reset clunk in the other direction. Multiple hard brakes don't result in repeated clunks. Something's shifting, back and forth perhaps?

I put it on a lift and put my breaker bar on all suspension bolts visible, including shock top bolts. It seems to be getting worse to the point I can duplicate it without the boat behind. Hard braking, clunk. Subsequent hard-ish acceleration, re-clunk.

I've read many of the clunk threads. My CVs and hubs are brand new. Bearings recently done.

Transmission or diff bushings? Are these DIY-able?
Sounds most likely to be your gearbox or transfer mounts

Engine mounts, sway bar link bushings, control arm bushings, drive shaft u-joints, CV axle flanges, front diff bushings, trans bushing.

Pick one to start with. Testing for diff bushing play is easy like @GerLC100 said. If they haven't been done, sway links are cheap and easy and definitely in need. Do the bar bushings at the same time. Some of the rest are pretty common/infamous sources of clunks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom