Installing 60 series axles under a sua 40. Clearance questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GRM

Finding new adventures in old jalopies.
Threads
My project plan has been to use an fj60/62 drivetrain under my fj40, but leave things fairly stock. This includes the wheels and tires.

I'm worried I will have tire to fender clearance issues with the wider fj60 rear axle under my '71 40. Has anyone tried running 60-series axles SUA in a 40?

I tried mocking it up tonight in 2 different configurations. For the mockup, I have the stock 40 rear axle (55" wide) with a 1.5" wheel spacer to represent the 58" fj60 width.

•The first setup was the stock 7.00 15 tires on the stock '71 40 series wheels. They seem to fit, although I'm considered when I swap to the wider 235's the tread will hit the fender.

• The second setup was a set of 31x10.5x15's on stock 60 wheels. They seem to stick beyond the fender by ~1" I believe the tires will clear the fender in articulation with a 2.5" lift, but I'd like to see if someone could confirm this.

Anyone have experience with wider axles under a stock40? Advice on what clears and what doesn't?

Thanks
image-1551774309.jpg
image-1334841318.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone have experience installing 60-series axles, SUA?

one question... WHY ? (other than brakes)

one question... WHY ? (other than brakes)

Brakes, better parking brake, more stable, easier to find parts. Pushing the tires wider reduces the chance for dinging the body. I widened my mini-truck from 55.5 to 61.5 and love the results.

Also: my 40 series axle has been sitting for 35 years, its done. My 60 series axles are in good shape, and ready to run. Swapping the entire 60 series rear axle into my 40 is an easy 2 hour job.

My other option would be to swap the 60-series diff into the 40-series housing, and swap the brakes for mini-truck front rotors and ford taurus calipers, essentially rebuilding the old '71 rear axle.

• The second setup was a set of 31x10.5x15's on stock 60 wheels. They seem to stick beyond the fender by ~1" I believe the tires will clear the fender in articulation with a 2.5" lift, but I'd like to see if someone could confirm this.

I do not think they will clear with stock rims.

My other option would be to swap the 60-series diff into the 40-series housing, and swap the brakes for mini-truck front rotors and ford taurus calipers, essentially rebuilding the old '71 rear axle.

IMO, this is a better alternative if you're not going SOA. What's your plan in the front if you go to fj60-width in the back.

Let me know if you want to take a look at or measure mine. I have an fj60 front axle, outboarded springs and an fzj80 rear narrowed to match. I have steel wheels with 4" backspacing to bring the tires back under a little. I'm still undecided if I'll add some flare when I fix the rear quarters. There's not much tire sticking out. I'm currently running 315/75-16s.

This pic shows how my tires (and my gut) stick out about an inch.

DSC_0020.jpg

Last edited:
IMO, this is a better alternative if you're not going SOA. What's your plan in the front if you go to fj60-width in the back.

Plan is to run my stock '71 housing, '82 60 diff, stock inner shafts, 60 outers, and 1.5" wheel spacers.

Let me know if you want to take a look at or measure mine. I have an fj60 front axle, outboarded springs and an fzj80 rear narrowed to match. I have steel wheels with 4" backspacing to bring the tires back under a little. I'm still undecided if I'll add some flare when I fix the rear quarters. There's not much tire sticking out. I'm currently running 315/75-16s.

I may take you up on this in a few weeks. Although, I'll have more questions about how you did the narrowed 80 rear, as my mini truck is in need of a new rear axle.

Plan is to run my stock '71 housing, '82 60 diff, stock inner shafts, 60 outers, and 1.5" wheel spacers.

If I were you, I'd just go with stock width and 1/4" spacers f+r.

GRM said:
I'll have more questions about how you did the narrowed 80 rear, as my mini truck is in need of a new rear axle.

I forget which ones, but there is a stock toyota shaft such that if you use two of them in a narrowed 80 housing it comes out perfect for a mini truck. You have to cut down both sides. Beeftastic for a mini truck though.

I just cut the short side. To get exactly the same as the front I have a custom shaft length. If I did it again I'd make the short side the same as a stocker. It's usually the long side that breaks and my short side is chromo, so I'm not worried about carrying a spare.

two hrs to remove the spring pads and swap axles... you work quick..

I tried mocking it up tonight in 2 different configurations. For the mockup, I have the stock 40 rear axle (55" wide) with a 1.5" wheel spacer to represent the 58" fj60 width.

You may be overestimating how much width you will gain. I have a rear axle from '83 60 that I'm planning to install on my 40 (for the rear parking brake so I can use a split-case) and it measures spot on 57" wide (WMS to WMS). I haven't measured my current 40 axle, but I've read that they're right at 55 1/2" wide. So for a mock-up you might want to try 3/4" spacers.

Of course, the raw WMS numbers are sort of academic; unfortunately, since I haven't actually swappd the axles yet I can't tell you is what you really want to know: whether this extra width will cause the tires to hit the fender at flex.

Brian

I have a 60 rear axle in my 40 its 3" wider than the 40 axle.. about 1 1/2 inches on each side.

Mine is sprung over with 35s and yes they are cut... I would not even try it with out cutting them it is alot wider.

it measures spot on 57" wide (WMS to WMS). I haven't measured my current 40 axle, but I've read that they're right at 55 1/2" wide.

I have a 60 rear axle in my 40 its 3" wider than the 40 axle.. about 1 1/2 inches on each side.

Cruiser Outfitters says 55" and 57" resp.

BTW, I doubt the fj60 parking brakes are "better". The drum at the tranny is geared 4:1, so in theory it's twice as good as two at the wheels if the drums are the same radius.

Fast Eddy said:
Cruiser Outfitters says 55" and 57" resp.

BTW, I doubt the fj60 parking brakes are "better". The drum at the tranny is geared 4:1, so in theory it's twice as good as two at the wheels if the drums are the same radius.

They're "better" in the sense that they're mounted on the axle which is important when a driveshaft parking brake isn't an option ( as with a split case). Also, the rear drums on 60 (and late 40) axles are self adjusting which is definately better.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

I just spent some time and measured:

My '71 FJ40 axle is 55.5" WMS to WMS

My '82 FJ60 axle is 58.25" WMS to WMS

Well I feel a little silly for planning on throwing 60 axles in my 40 without doing more that just a little research.

I plan on going sua with a 3 inch ome lift... and from the commentary it looks like this won't work.

Now, if I go spring over with these 3" lift springs it's going to be too high in my opinion.

I don't want to go spring over, nor do I want to go cut my wheel wells. However, I just picked up a set of 30x7x15 LT's the other day for free, which would work... but 30 inches isn't enough for me, I just picked them up for the novelty.

What are your thoughts about spring over axle with ome springs?

Fwiw I'm a big fan of 60 axles on 40's, particularly when you kill several birds with the same stone and get disc brakes, fine spline birfs, big knuckles and axle park brake at the same time two. While the added width is a chore to work with, its not too much extra work during a SOA conversion. The axle mounted park brake securely locks both rear tires while the t-case mounted park brake theoretically only locks one given an open diff. I've been running 60 axles on my '72 FJ40 for over 10 years now, no regrets.

Just picked up a 67' FJ40 (my first 40) and I am not liking the stock steering setup at all and since I have a ton of FJ6X parts I wanted to swap in the axles and steering box, but without going SOA. What needs to be done to deal with the extra 3" width? Is anybody running 60/62 series axles with a SUA lift? I would love to get rid of the current steering setup and use the FJ62 axles but sounds like there are too many issues to do this without going SOA?

I would love to get rid of the current steering setup and use the FJ62 axles but sounds like there are too many issues to do this without going SOA?

Not too many issues, just the same issues. You have to cut off all the spring mounts in the front and reweld them 1.5" outboard. It can be done. It's just more work than you were thinking, and not a lot less work than going SOA. You can use the axle as it sits, but you have to cut and weld on your frame, which most people don't want to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom