Installation of 6.5” component front speakers (hopefully) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m starting to do a search for what, if any, 6.5” component speakers will work in my 60.
So far I really like the focal 65 something. I need to go back to see what model they were at car toys. I have a 5 channel Rockford amp and a panel mount alpine sub that I took out of my Jeep and will install in the 60 if I can find good places to put everything.

depth to window without any spacer: 1.75”
Diameter 4.5” (maybe slightly bigger .028 bigger)

Link to a guy who was able to fit some alpines into his aftermarket door card:

Link to 6.5” at crutch field that might work:

Does the 1” ring cause you to hit it more with your feet or legs?

I now have 8” drivers in the doors and a double din HU in the dash. I added some 3/4 inch baffles.. no where near stock anything but I love it

4FA6AB5C-D4B9-4166-AE3E-5DC956CFCF40.jpeg

Last edited:
I now have 8” drivers in the doors and a double din HU in the dash. I added some 3/4 inch baffles.. no where near stock anything but I love it

Do you have a picture of that from another angle, I think you’ve put it near where the ecu would be and somewhere on the door but Is it in the door where there’s a larger opening? That’s one spot I was thinking I could put something larger, with a diy adapter.

what speaker are you using?

Do you have a picture of that from another angle, I think you’ve put it near where the ecu would be and somewhere on the door but Is it in the door where there’s a larger opening? That’s one spot I was thinking I could put something larger, with a diy adapter.

what speaker are you using?

My ecu is under the hood ( LS swap). The door opening was enlarged a bit. Those are Italian Fatal Pro 8” drivers courtesy of my brother Al. Bose 4” midrange in the free air kick baffles and I have a 1” sulk dome tweeters in the upper door card ( not pictured). 12” Infinty kappa Perfect in a downfire sealed enclosure to round sub bass freq. It’s a simple 3 way active soundstage driven by 3 Japanese Denon SQ amps. Sounds pretty good but I haven’t played with tuning yet

I’m leaning towards the focal 165. I found the ps166FE or FSE - components for super cheap if I go thru the German Amazon site. I’m a little nervous that I’ll get some knockoffs but for the price I’m thinking about risking it after I make sure I can fit them in the doors with 1/2” spacers (the FSE are shallow so they wouldn’t need spacers). With shipping I can get them for $320ish shipped vs here they are $529 plus tax - so close to $575. Maybe this deal is too good to be true. Anyone experience this?

I’d be running them active with my pioneer DEH-80PRS with a Rockford 300.4 amp and an Alpine 8” compact panel sub woofer with an internal amp. I had these in my Jeep but took it out when I sold it.

My plan would be to put the serial numbers into the focal website to see if they’re legit. If they are then no problem. If not, I get Amazon to give me a refund, or whatever. I don’t know for sure that they will. Has anyone had experience with knock offs on Amazon and getting action on it? I think it’s becoming a big problem similar to ebay.

Last edited:
I have a pair of angled speaker rings (3/4" at their thickest, 1/2" at their thinnest) that I'm going to try to mount a pair of JL Audio Evolution 6.5" speakers with. Idea is to have them angled slightly up and back. The speakers are shallower than the older style, so my hope is that the section of cone that passes through the door will fit through the 5.25" hole (which I can modify if need be, but hoping not to). Planning on building a fairly nice system if that works out, so fingers are crossed.

I’m leaning towards the focal 165. I found the ps166FE or FSE - components for super cheap if I go thru the German Amazon site. I’m a little nervous that I’ll get some knockoffs but for the price I’m thinking about risking it after I make sure I can fit them in the doors with 1/2” spacers (the FSE are shallow so they wouldn’t need spacers). With shipping I can get them for $320ish shipped vs here they are $529 plus tax - so close to $575. Maybe this deal is too good to be true. Anyone experience this?

I’d be running them active with my pioneer DEH-80PRS with a Rockford 300.4 amp and an Alpine 8” compact panel sub woofer with an internal amp. I had these in my Jeep but took it out when I sold it.

My plan would be to put the serial numbers into the focal website to see if they’re legit. If they are then no problem. If not, I get Amazon to give me a refund, or whatever. I don’t know for sure that they will. Has anyone had experience with knock offs on Amazon and getting action on it? I think it’s becoming a big problem similar to ebay.
I’m also looking at the PS 165 FSE. Crutch field has them open box, ie perfect unused condition for 449 iirc can’t remember if they charge tax, free shipping.
Amazon domestic purchases I haven’t had any problems with returns. Overseas Amazon purchases I have had problems with returns as to who pays return shipping.

I bought Focals for my wife's 4Runner... I also found that buying from Germany and having them shipped here was much cheaper than anything I could find stateside. I was worried about authenticity as well, but these speakers are the real deal.

If your gonna run active you might be better off buying raw drivers vs the components. You can get really nice drivers on parts express for not too much $. Just try to match sensitivity etc and then you’ll have to play with level matching and crossover points

i have focals in my truck. love them. this is how i set them up. there is a small spacer between speaker and the door card. i also put a vented plastic speaker cone cover to keep any water off them that might leak into the door from the window. it wasn’t vented to start with and really affected sound quality. i took the old grille in and got it paint matched. i painted the focal grille to match. it looks pretty good and sounds great. i have 6.5 rounds in the back (not component). sorry my truck clearly needs an interior wash. and i never hit my feet on them they don’t get in the way sticking out the little that they do
3728ABE7-EC1D-44D5-9ADC-4B3730EE7305.jpeg

I have a pair of angled speaker rings (3/4" at their thickest, 1/2" at their thinnest) that I'm going to try to mount a pair of JL Audio Evolution 6.5" speakers with. Idea is to have them angled slightly up and back. The speakers are shallower than the older style, so my hope is that the section of cone that passes through the door will fit through the 5.25" hole (which I can modify if need be, but hoping not to). Planning on building a fairly nice system if that works out, so fingers are crossed.
That’s exactly what I was hoping for. Get them out enough so the narrower part of the cone passes thru the 5.25 without trimming the frame.
I like the idea of angling them.

I’m also looking at the PS 165 FSE. Crutch field has them open box, ie perfect unused condition for 449 iirc can’t remember if they charge tax, free shipping.
Amazon domestic purchases I haven’t had any problems with returns. Overseas Amazon purchases I have had problems with returns as to who pays return shipping.
true - I’m assuming I’d have to pay return shipping so that would suck if I had to return it

I bought Focals for my wife's 4Runner... I also found that buying from Germany and having them shipped here was much cheaper than anything I could find stateside. I was worried about authenticity as well, but these speakers are the real deal.

That’s awesome to hear!

If your gonna run active you might be better off buying raw drivers vs the components. You can get really nice drivers on parts express for not too much $. Just try to match sensitivity etc and then you’ll have to play with level matching and crossover points
I went to that website yesterday but didn’t know where to start looking. Do you think if I found any speaker that had 92 dB of sensitivity and the same response, rms power etc, they would sound fairly identical? I haven’t heard of any brands on that site, but I was wondering if many of the speakers are made by the same companies - it’s just whether you pay the extra $$ for better specs. I certainly don’t need to pay for crossovers so maybe I would save a little.

What’s been your experience, good brands, etc?

i have focals in my truck. love them. this is how i set them up. there is a small spacer between speaker and the door card. i also put a vented plastic speaker cone cover to keep any water off them that might leak into the door from the window. it wasn’t vented to start with and really affected sound quality. i took the old grille in and got it paint matched. i painted the focal grille to match. it looks pretty good and sounds great. i have 6.5 rounds in the back (not component). sorry my truck clearly needs an interior wash. and i never hit my feet on them they don’t get in the way sticking out the little that they doView attachment 2576198
Not much of a spacer at all! Do you remember which model they are? I know the AS and the ISU didn’t look too deep when I took them out of the box at car toys. I was pretty sure with the door card as a spacer they could fit (but I bought a 1/2 spacer to use too)

I wasn’t sure the cone would pass the 5.25 frame cutout. Did you have to cut anything besides your door card? Good tip on the vented cone.

i really dont remember if i cut my door. i did for the tweeter but i don’t think i did for the bottom. ill look tonight if i remember and let you know. ps 165 FXE is the model i have

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom