Installation Guide for ARB Headlight Harness and Hella H1/H4s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently upgraded the headlights and wiring harness on my FJ62 and wanted to document the steps I took in case it helps anyone in the future. This guide applies to those of us who drive four eyed vehicles and FJ60 owners will need to follow a slightly different process.

Parts you will need:

BTW, I bought the harnesses from Kurt from Cruiser Outfitters, who was an absolute pleasure to work with and you won't regret purchasing from him.

Step #1: Figure out where you want to mount the relays

Unravel the harnesses and arrange them in the engine compartment in several variations until you find a configuration you like.

Personally, I chose the passenger side even though there was less room to work with because I want to use the driver side for a dual battery and other accessories. However, if you choose the driver side, you will need to splice some 14 gauge wire into the positive cable in order to reach the battery.

Step #2: Setup the new headlights

The dust boot that comes with the Hella H4s interferes with the harness plugs and will need to be modified. Carefully use a razor blade to cut off the extraneous star shaped part as @slcfj62 demonstrates in this thread: Hella ECE headlights for FJ62

The H1s have two wires instead of a male plug. Plug the black wire into the outer part of the light and the green wire to the bulb:

huejH0V.jpg

Step #3: Remove the old headlights

To access your headlights, you'll need to remove the body trim on the front corner. This trim is secured by 4 screws, one of which is hidden behind the turn signal lamp so you'll need to remove that as well:

HIow9so.jpg

Each headlight is sandwiched into place by 4 small screws and a thin piece of metal. If your or the PO damaged these screws and need to buy a replacement, pretty much any similarly sized m4 x 1.0 panhead will work.

Step #4: Modify the pick-up plug

The m002 has a male plug about halfway down the harness that needs to be connected into either one of the old high/low headlight plugs. This is how the harness "picks-up" the signal to turn on the high beams.

Before you can connect these plugs however, you will need to rearrange the wires inside the old plug. Push a fine flathead screwdriver into the mating face of the plug while pulling the wire out on the other side. With 28+ year old plastic, this can be more difficult than it sounds, but be patient and keep at it until all 3 wires are freed. You can also practice on the new harness to get the hang of it.

The instructions from ARB reference Black, Red, and Red/Green wires but that did not match my pick-up plug:

5PmK8cl.jpg

If your wires look like mine, then they should be rearranged such that the Red/Green wire goes on top, the Red/Blue wire goes on the left, and the Red/Yellow wire goes on right.

Step #5: Install the wiring harnesses

The m002 loom has 3 relay adapters and 3 plugs while m004 contributes an additional relay adapter. Here's how I labeled everything:

• Plug A: the female one pin connector
  • Plug B: the male one pin connector
  • Plug Y: the male two pin connector
  • Plug X: the female two pin connector
  • Relay Adapter #1: has wire for Plug A
  • Relay Adapter #2: has wire for Plug Y
  • Relay Adapter #3: has wires for Plugs B and Y
  • Relay Adapter #4: has wire for Plug X

The next step is to plug everything together:

1. Clip the relay adapters together in the above sequence
  2. Connect the A and B plugs together
  3. Install the P2512X relay into adapter #1
  4. Install the remaining P12512X relays into the remaining adapters
  5. Connect the X and Y plugs from the m002 and m004 harnesses

Here's what it should look like when you're done:

iA4wZJv.jpg

Step #6: Install the new headlights and connect them to the harness

Run the harness wires unobtrusively out to the headlight housing, making sure that the m002 plugs are located at the outside lights while the m004 plugs are available to the inside lights.

Before installing the new headlights, you'll want to connect the male adapter into the pick-up plug. Also, when connecting the H1 headlights, make sure to match the black wires together or else you will likely blow a fuse somewhere.

Once everything is buttoned back up, it's time to give your new lights a test!

Step #7: Mount the new relays

This will largely depend on what you decided with step #1.

For me, I made a simple bracket out of some 1/16" aluminum sheet metal and installed the relays next to the air cleaner:

i0Pcdyg.jpg

rNtDAJv.jpg

The fuses and surplus wires tuck nicely into the fender where they will be out of the way. Note however that I had to reposition the Main Relay back in order to accommodate this configuration, but that wasn't too difficult.

That about sums it up! I will update this thread when I get some photos of the new lights in action later tonight.

Last edited:
Got to test out the new headlights tonight and I'm pretty happy with the improvement in brightness! Definitely a big step up from the paper lanterns I was using as headlights previously.

Any idea if the intensity pattern I'm seeing is expected?

Low beams:

rMXuLC3.jpg

wKmadGS.jpg

High beams:

UxLvWfA.jpg

cZyMgxv.jpg

Does your high beam indicator still work as normal? Now that @slcfj62 isn't making harnesses anymore, I've been considering going the ARB route should my Tangen harness ever fail.

Hey great info lechnito. Im a newbie and just picked up my fj62 last week. Can i just install arb wire harness and use the oem headlights with brighter bulbs?

Aren't the oem headlights sealed beam? Either way, the answer should be yes. The harness just allows for downstream lights to use more power if they want it.

The sealed beam light pattern is fog waste. The new Hellas with the euro beam are so much better even without the harness upgrade. The harness just helps boost the lumens. Now upgrade your battery cables and alternator cables and get some more light out of those puppies.

Bump because I just finished this project. Took about two hours (taking my time) and @lechnito s wiring diagram saved the day, as mine were the same colors as his. Hardest part was rearranging the pickup plug. Just be patient and take your time... They'll come loose eventually.

I'm a little underwhelmed by the low beams. Barely better than stock. Brights are killer, however. Any ideas why this would be, @lechnito? Connections seem good and the low beams wouldn't function at all without the relay working, so it seems like it would be an all or none situation.

Hmm, I agree that most issues you would run into with the relays would result in "all or nothing" type defects. I would double check if the harness wires have a good connection to the battery.

Did you use the bulbs that were included with the H4s? I'm not overwhelmed with the included bulbs but haven't made the upgrade to something stronger yet. It should be possible to get more lumens from higher wattage bulbs while still remaining close enough to legal that nobody will notice.

Even with the basic H4 bulbs that came with the kit my low beams are an amazing improvement over stock. They went from useless to putting out better light than my '07 Subaru with high quality H4 bulbs. Admittedly part of it is the ECE pattern.

Is it possible you got a bad connection where you changed the pins? Mine got bent a little when swapping. Connect the two short wires from the 1st and second harness?

Yeah
Even with the basic H4 bulbs that came with the kit my low beams are an amazing improvement over stock. They went from useless to putting out better light than my '07 Subaru with high quality H4 bulbs. Admittedly part of it is the ECE pattern.

Is it possible you got a bad connection where you changed the pins? Mine got bent a little when swapping. Connect the two short wires from the 1st and second harness?
Yeah, I'm going to concentrate on that connection first. I'll keep this updated.

I noticed that upon plugging in the ARB harness to the original headlight plug, it was pushing the original plug's female connectors back a bit and maybe compromising the connection. So I forced them together last night and it *looked* better, but I couldn't actually drive it so I'll report back. But that's a likely culprit.

Last edited:
Connect the two short wires from the 1st and second harness?

What do you mean by this?

Checked connections and they're all solid. Still not super bright. Also, and this is odd, I have an extra plug hanging out of my m004 relay, meaning there are two and only one is being used. Is this supposed to be dangling or am I missing a connection from somewhere?

In further news, I connected the pick up wires directly to the harness to eliminate the possibility of the plastic causing issues.... No change.

@lechnito, just to be clear about your wiring order, you are referring to "right" and "left" while looking at the plastic connector via the backside, as in your picture, correct? Just trying to eliminate every variable.

@Idaho Savage - Wait a second. You shouldn't have an extra plug. The m002 loom has 3 plugs: 2 for the headlights and 1 for the m004. Is it possible that you didn't plug the m004 into the m002?

Affirmative -- The wiring order assumes you're looking at the back of the plug. Here's a photo of what my pickup plug currently looks like:

WdZXbNn.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom