Installation Guide for ARB Headlight Harness and Hella H1/H4s (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah...i was wondering about that. is it only the voltage difference, or are there any other ways the headlights are wired differently? the vendor I bought the harness from indicated it was going to be an "off-label" use of the product, but that they had other customers who tried it and were happy so far...so I decided to go for it.
Check on all of these. I am simply confused and out of ideas. I'm going to call Curt at Cruiser Outfitters on Monday. I really appreciate all of your help eliminating the variables and I'll be sure to update the thread if I figure it out.
@Idaho Savage I'm really reaching into the archives here but curious if you ever got good results with the stock headlights and the ARB harness. I've just installed and had a very similar experience. The dims don't seem to have improved at all, brights are better. Everything functions as advertised, no issues with functionality and i double checked the wiring harness re-wire which i've got correctly oriented per the instructions. Wondering if you figured anything out that helped.

Could be an issue with the 24 volt 61 system, and the ARB harness being designed for a 12 volt system?

Yeah...i was wondering about that. is it only the voltage difference, or are there any other ways the headlights are wired differently? the vendor I bought the harness from indicated it was going to be an "off-label" use of the product, but that they had other customers who tried it and were happy so far...so I decided to go for it.

@Idaho Savage I'm really reaching into the archives here but curious if you ever got good results with the stock headlights and the ARB harness. I've just installed and had a very similar experience. The dims don't seem to have improved at all, brights are better. Everything functions as advertised, no issues with functionality and i double checked the wiring harness re-wire which i've got correctly oriented per the instructions. Wondering if you figured anything out that helped.
Check the Relays if its 24 Volts you will blow them out as each relay is only rated for 12 volts, the harness will not work. As for the 12 volt low beams not being bright is a mystery unless it could just be old bulbs not being as bright?

I did. Turned out my harness had compensated for the switch in wires in but I didn't know that, so I was "correcting" an already corrected problem. Upon simply swapping again at the headlight, my low beams were noticeably better. But...note they were Hellas, not bone stock.

Bumping this thread with a shout out to @cruiseroutfit for going above and beyond to help me out last week.

As luck would have it during a storm I lost my highbeams coming out to the truck after work

Kurt sent me a wiring diagram for the harness that helped me isolate the issue to a failed relay (which naturally are unique to ARB) and then was able to get me replacements sent out in short order.

Well done and thanks for the excellent customer service all the way around

Today I finally got around to installing the IPF M002/M004, and I felt like the install went pretty smooth! I followed the instructions in here, combined with @cruiseroutfit/Kurt's directions (namely, the instructions provided) and reoriented the pickup on the aftermarket harness, rather than on the factory harness side. After it was in, I turned the lights on, and I experienced what sooo many people have claimed to have happen to them.

Extremely dim low-beams, very bright Hi-beams, and no Hi-beam indicator. I checked the A and B plugs, the orientation in the pickup, everything. Just had my wife come verify my work lol, red/green to red/green, red/yellow to black, and red/blue to red. I double checked the relays, and they're all in correct.

Tomorrow I'll try and switch the orientation in the pickup, but I don't know how that would make sense. Right now they're as the instructions say, and the colors match up. Any advice appreciated!

Last edited:
Today I finally got around to installing the IPF M002/M004, and I felt like the install went pretty smooth! I followed the instructions in here, combined with @cruiseroutfit/Kurt's directions (namely, the instructions provided) and reoriented the pickup on the aftermarket harness, rather than on the factory harness side. After it was in, I turned the lights on, and I experienced what sooo many people have claimed to have happen to them.

Extremely dim low-beams, very bright Hi-beams, and no Hi-beam indicator. I checked the A and B plugs, the orientation in the pickup, everything. Just had my wife come verify my work lol, red/green to red/green, red/yellow to black, and red/blue to red. I double checked the relays, and they're all in correct.

Tomorrow I'll try and switch the orientation in the pickup, but I don't know how that would make sense. Right now they're as the instructions say, and the colors match up. Any advice appreciated!
Kurt helped me out with this, are you keeping the OEM lights?
If so, just as you reorientated the wires on the M002 where it connects to the oem connector, you need to reorientate the wires at the lights. Just the M002, not the 4. Don’t mess with the vehicle side, no need and that plastic is getting old and brittle.
that should fix it, let me know if that makes sense.

Kurt helped me out with this, are you keeping the OEM lights?
If so, just as you reorientated the wires on the M002 where it connects to the oem connector, you need to reorientate the wires at the lights. Just the M002, not the 4. Don’t mess with the vehicle side, no need and that plastic is getting old and brittle.
that should fix it, let me know if that makes sense.
Ahh, that makes sense! I did keep the OE style lights. Would that affect my Hi-beam indicator as well? And do you know what I switch the light orientation to?

Ahh, that makes sense! I did keep the OE style lights. Would that affect my Hi-beam indicator as well? And do you know what I switch the light orientation to?
I did the same and kept the oem lights. Mirror the pattern you switched to on the M002. It’ll make sense when you look at light plugs compared to the main interface you modified. My experience is the M004 (brights) doesn’t need to be changed at all.
A good way to be sure it’s all working, make sure the brights indicator on your dash is working as it should and of course more light!

I did the same and kept the oem lights. Mirror the pattern you switched to on the M002. It’ll make sense when you look at light plugs compared to the main interface you modified. My experience is the M004 (brights) doesn’t need to be changed at all.
A good way to be sure it’s all working, make sure the brights indicator on your dash is working as it should and of course more light!
Makes so much sense. Hey I really appreciate it man! I'll report back tomorrow.

Thanks again, reorienting the light plugs did the trick. They're a bit brighter than stock, and the hi-beam indicator is working! If anyone else reads this, and runs into this issue, just know that if you're leaving the factory style lights in there, you will have to reorient the pickup, and both of the low-beam plugs. Not a huge deal, but do it outside of the truck, rather than fix it after you've installed it, like I did.

Thanks again, reorienting the light plugs did the trick. They're a bit brighter than stock, and the hi-beam indicator is working! If anyone else reads this, and runs into this issue, just know that if you're leaving the factory style lights in there, you will have to reorient the pickup, and both of the low-beam plugs. Not a huge deal, but do it outside of the truck, rather than fix it after you've installed it, like I did.

Glad it worked out!

Still extremely happy with this harness! It's time to put some serious fire power in front of it. I see people name drop Susquehanna all the time, and I shopped this setup. How does this look?

sus.PNG

It's weird that they describe them as 165 mm, and everywhere else says 164.

Just a quick note to say thanks for posting this, I was about to pull my hair out last night with the dim low beams / no brights indicator issue. Found this comment thread this morning and after reorienting the low beam plugs its working perfectly. Never thought I'd be so happy to see that little blue light come on!

Just a quick note to say thanks for posting this, I was about to pull my hair out last night with the dim low beams / no brights indicator issue. Found this comment thread this morning and after reorienting the low beam plugs its working perfectly. Never thought I'd be so happy to see that little blue light come on!
Heck yeah! Mud to the rescue! Every time I Google searched anything regarding the IPF harness, this thread pulled up. Huge thanks to the OP, and glad you got it figured out!

Heck yeah! Mud to the rescue! Every time I Google searched anything regarding the IPF harness, this thread pulled up. Huge thanks to the OP, and glad you got it figured out!
Hey @BHillteq how is the Hella/Optilux lamp upgrade treating you? I saw on Susquehanna that the Optilux bulbs are offered in either 60/55w or 100/80w options.... I'm wondering if the 100/80w are so bright that it is causing folks to flash their brights as you roll by... more is *almost* always better, but wondering if it's appropriate/too much for driving around town...

With good quality housings that have a proper light pattern cut to them and proper aiming the bulb brightness should have little impact on other drivers as long as you are dimming your beams.

Just placed an order with @cruiseroutfit for the IPF M002/M004 harnesses.

The M002 is currently on back-order.

Regardless, still really looking forward to making this upgrade to my FJ62 in the near future.
This will honestly change your life lol. Just know that if you're keeping the factory style sealed beams, you'll have to re-orient the plugs for both of your low-beams. I posted about it earlier in here.

This will honestly change your life lol. Just know that if you're keeping the factory style sealed beams, you'll have to re-orient the plugs for both of your low-beams. I posted about it earlier in here.
Hahaha. Definitely appreciate the feedback and guidance. I’ve been stalking a dozen or so threads here as I work to improve my FJ62. 80% of my driving is daytime but this is one upgrade I really want to make.

I am not mechanically or electrically inclined, but I’m learning as I go and have a great mechanic locally to rely on when things are well outside of my scope and tools. Here are the things I’ve done over the last year:

I've run these bulbs (Hi/Lo) before and found they put out a lot of light without as much a load on the wiring

1631655405325.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom