Installation Guide for ARB Headlight Harness and Hella H1/H4s (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Idaho Savage - Wait a second. You shouldn't have an extra plug. The m002 loom has 3 plugs: 2 for the headlights and 1 for the m004. Is it possible that you didn't plug the m004 into the m002?

Affirmative -- The wiring order assumes you're looking at the back of the plug. Here's a photo of what my pickup plug currently looks like:

WdZXbNn.jpg

Thanks for the pic--I'll double check that socket tonight.

Regarding the extra plug, it's coming out of the single M004 relay, not the M002. And yes, the 02 and 04 are connected via the OTHER plug coming out of the M004. If this doesn't make sense, I'll take a picture tonight. But basically my "H" relay has both a male double plug and a female double plug coming out of it. Weird or not?

Second question: I am assuming you do NOT rewire the ARB pickup socket--just the original source from the truck, correct?

Last edited:
@Idaho Savage - Correct. You only need to rewire the pickup plug that the m002 connects to. The wiring orientation on the ARB looms should be left alone.

You have a total of 4 relays installed, right? I don't recall seeing an extra plug on the m004 but I guess there could be one.

How about the battery connections? Are you sure both looms are making good contact with the ground and with the battery?

@Idaho Savage - Correct. You only need to rewire the pickup plug that the m002 connects to. The wiring orientation on the ARB looms should be left alone.

You have a total of 4 relays installed, right? I don't recall seeing an extra plug on the m004 but I guess there could be one.

How about the battery connections? Are you sure both looms are making good contact with the ground and with the battery?

Check on all of these. I am simply confused and out of ideas. I'm going to call Curt at Cruiser Outfitters on Monday. I really appreciate all of your help eliminating the variables and I'll be sure to update the thread if I figure it out.

Couple notes. First off, great thread!

...Regarding the extra plug, it's coming out of the single M004 relay, not the M002. And yes, the 02 and 04 are connected via the OTHER plug coming out of the M004. If this doesn't make sense, I'll take a picture tonight. But basically my "H" relay has both a male double plug and a female double plug coming out of it. Weird or not?

Not weird at all. That is made so you could theoretically add a second M004 system that activated some driving lights or similar on high-beam function. If you look at the bottom of the relay base, the two plugs are 100% identical in function, just opposite ends so one will plug into the M004 per the instructions and the other would be used to piggy back and additional harness or simply not be used. It could easily be cut from the relay base with a couple snips too.

Second question: I am assuming you do NOT rewire the ARB pickup socket--just the original source from the truck, correct?

The instructions for the M002 do specify you modify the wiring orientation on the ARB M002's pickup harness lead not the vehicle itself, if you do so the wiring colors specified in the instructions will match up exactly. The instructions could certainly stand a refresh as you have to read it a few times to understand they are referring to the "pickup plug" which is the new harness not the original. Now, if you wire it per the way @lechnito did so on his harness, the end results is the exact same as the same connections should be made, so no issue there.

Vehicle Harness -> M002 Harness (Function)

Red/Green - Red/Green (Ground from headlight switch, activates Low Beam)
Red/Yellow - Black (Ground from headlight switch, activates High Beam)
Red/White (Left Hand of vehicle) & Red/Blue (Right hand of vehicle) - Red (12V fused power from the battery)

Assuming all of these connections are made as such, the IPF M002/M004 should run a 4 headlight system as designed.

I upgraded my FJ62 low beams to H4s/non-DOT housings a couple years ago, but left my high beams alone (OEM). What's the simplest harness upgrade I can do for just the low beams? I rarely use the high beams and they are sufficient for my needs as they are.

I installed the relay system and the H4s in my 60 and it increased my light output quite a bit.

I’ve been meaning to install the ARB relay in my 60 forever. Any tips or tricks you can share?

For those of you who have done the relay/harness install, regardless of brand, it looks like tucking the wiring up and under the front edge/lip of the radiator support would be the cleanest, and keep it out of the way of moving parts. Any better place that you found?

For those of you who have done the relay/harness install, regardless of brand, it looks like tucking the wiring up and under the front edge/lip of the radiator support would be the cleanest, and keep it out of the way of moving parts. Any better place that you found?

That's what I ended up doing, FWIW.

Nice thread..... where were you guys about 10 yrs ago when I did mine? I found out the hard way after blowing my high beam switch out. The only shop nearby was a stereo shop & the dullest tool in the shed. it works but low beams are horribly dull. I just bought some Sylvania Silverstar Ultras but haven't installed them yet, my eyes are 10 yrs older now so I hope to get some better results!

Good evening I had an accident in the Headlight Harness and battery, everything was burned (I almost lost the car) fj62.

Now I reconstruct the wiring, can you help me with some photos of the battery connectors and lights cables?

This topic has been very useful.

Greetings.

As a reference point: when my 60 has 14v at the battery I am getting 12.6v at the headlight. While this does aid in headlight bulb longevity it does indicate a significant drop in voltage and a lot of missed opportunity on light output. Wiring in a set of relays and new wiring is such a simple way to improve light output, reduce heat in the wires and risk of fire etc.

this is a great thread that made me finally get around to doing the harness upgrade ! thank you to @lechnito.

this installation is both M002 and M004 on an 1988 FJ62 with OEM headlights.

i'm pretty sure i have followed the instructions to a T. switched the configuration on the pick-up plug. pretty sure after a lot of triple checking the relay adapters and relays are correct.

but still have an issue:

--brights are bright as expected.

--driver side headlight won't go except when brights are on.

--when regular headlights are on with the brights they are DIM.

--hi-beam indicator on dash is not working.

i realize there have some reports on the forum that have said you ALSO need to change the M002 headlight plugs to match the headlights? this isn't clear on the instructions to me and there are no diagrams for this. but is it the same configuration as the change to the pick-up plug?

any help appreciated!

Just did the M002/M004 harnesses only. When I first fired everything up the low beams weren't much brighter. Until I reconfigured the wires in the plug. I compared the original plug to the harness plug, and I assumed IPF used the same wire designation, so I just rotated them one place clockwise in the plug and they are definitely brighter than before. Then the high beam indicator wouldn't come on in the dash. I reread this thread and figured out that I didn't have the A & B plugs plugged in to each other. After I did that it now works. I'm gonna run with the original lights for now and see how they perform. They are definitely brighter than before, especially the high beams.

I still have just one question, there's still an unused plug coming from the high beam relay. It had another blank plug in it when I got it. Does it stay like that? What else would this be used for?

Kind of a random question...what do you do with the other three original sets of wires that went to the old headlights? Do they just hang out?

Kind of a random question...what do you do with the other three original sets of wires that went to the old headlights? Do they just hang out?

yes, you could clean them up but they’re not visible unless you go digging for them so wasn’t worth it to me.

I haven’t been able to make the arb harness work.

Started with old sealed beam headlights on my hj61, then went to hella h4’s and h1’s. They worked pretty well. Not quite sure why I tried the arb loom—probably project envy from reading mud, or just cause i like making improvements to the truck.

After wiring the arb harness, I kept blowing the low beam fuse, when I would switch to high beams. I tried a few different setups on the pickup plug, and am giving up for now. I tried consulting the wiring diagram to see how my euro 61 wiring was different.

Any ideas?

I haven’t been able to make the arb harness work.

Started with old sealed beam headlights on my hj61, then went to hella h4’s and h1’s. They worked pretty well. Not quite sure why I tried the arb loom—probably project envy from reading mud, or just cause i like making improvements to the truck.

After wiring the arb harness, I kept blowing the low beam fuse, when I would switch to high beams. I tried a few different setups on the pickup plug, and am giving up for now. I tried consulting the wiring diagram to see how my euro 61 wiring was different.

Any ideas?
Could be an issue with the 24 volt 61 system, and the ARB harness being designed for a 12 volt system?

Could be an issue with the 24 volt 61 system, and the ARB harness being designed for a 12 volt system?

Yeah...i was wondering about that. is it only the voltage difference, or are there any other ways the headlights are wired differently? the vendor I bought the harness from indicated it was going to be an "off-label" use of the product, but that they had other customers who tried it and were happy so far...so I decided to go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom