Install nuts/bolts and corrosion prevention (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm at the point in restoration where I'm going to be re-attaching body panels and parts with (for the most part) new nuts/bolts and screws.

I was tempted to generally hit them with Loctite blue to possibly help with maintenance and corrosion.

Is that a good/bad idea?

Any other suggestions like brushing the finished nuts and bolts with Waxoxl etc. after I install each part?

Loctite's primary purpose is to act as an adhesive, not an anti-corrosion agent. I would use loctite only in cases where you have concerns that vibration will cause the bolt to back out. For parts like exterior hinges, hard top sides, etc, I don't think you need to worry about that, and loctite is likely just to make maintenance a little more annoying. For my project, I just put a dab of anti-seize on nearly every bolt. The only place to think a bit more is on critical fasteners where there is a torque spec. In those cases, I didn't use anti-seize because the lubrication can change the torque values. I'm sure there is math you can do to convert torque specs to factor that in, but I didn't bother with all of that.

When I'm done with my resto, my truck will never see rain or wet roads... too much money and time has gone into it to start the rust cycle over again.. which calls into question why i bothered with stainless fasteners and antisieze in the first place. lol.

Are you using all new yellow zinc plated fasteners or just some generic fasteners? Zinc plated with yellow cad will keep the fasteners from rusting and that was the original way toyota attached almost everything.

When I'm done with my resto, my truck will never see rain or wet roads... too much money and time has gone into it to start the rust cycle over again.. which calls into question why i bothered with stainless fasteners and antisieze in the first place. lol. > "Pierps"

Same here. It will never see rain, snow, mud, sand etc. Too much time, $, and blood invested to start it all over. 95% of body fasteners were rusted in solid and no amount of penetrant oil would free the fasteners up. Nebraska winter salt is terrible. Virtually every body bolt I welded out.....weld a scrap nut onto the fastener until it is white hot, let it cool for 10 or 15 seconds and remove it with a pair of vice grips or pliers. Never once did I end up having to drill out a bolt and run new threads. And like you, stainless steel with anti-seize. Hopefully my kids will thank me. And a little something about anti-seize. While using anti-seize you will be amazed how often you nose, eye lids, fore head, ears, cheeks and your nose again itches. You will know what we are talking about when you go in the house and see your face in a mirror.

How/why does a 4wd rig never see rain, mud, snow, gravel, etc?

Zinc plated with yellow cad will keep the fasteners from rusting and that was the original way toyota attached almost everything.
toyota did yellow cadmium plating , which is pretty hard to find these days and when you do, it's not the same yellow cad as 40 plus years ago. gold zinc plating is what is far more easily available these days, but also afar cry from the level of protection cad plating offered.

Better question how does a Seattle rig never see rain what is that 3 days a year?
Haha- yes, that's a great question. We get around 150 days of rain per year... and probably 200ish if you count days with wet roads. So, yeah, it's not a great plan , but to be fair, neither was restoring the rust bucket in the first place. haha.

Summers are pretty dry though.

Sorry @Pierps poorly worded question on my part. I was wondering how you 4WD’d not being on snow, mud, sand, etc. Your follow-up answered my question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom