Input Shaft Worn (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Butchk

SILVER Star
Threads
I had pulled out my 4 speed tranny planning to rebuild. After I had it on the ground I found that the Input shaft was worn badley from a frozen Pilot bearing :crybaby:. What other options do I have other than fixing and replacing the original 4 speed. I'm powered by a 2F and plan to keep it. I've read the Tech Links and thought there might be some other ideas.

Thanks in advance.
ButchK

If you're going to rebuild anyways have a machine shop fix the end where the pilot bearing goes.

Post some pics. Also, go ahead a get a new pilot bearing and see how it fits on your shaft. Take some emery cloth and try and work on the shaft to see if you can get the bearing to fit over the shaft. Once the tranny was assembled, I used the tail shaft to spin the input shaft while I went at mine pretty hard with a 300 grit diamond file. It turned out pretty well. And what do you have to lose if the shaft is already toast?

4'spds are a dime a dozen. Friends give them to friends...otherwise a good replacement might cost you $50 from someone you don't know in or near your town. Look local for a replacement as they are not worth repairing IME and virtually nonexistent in bone yards.

I thought about taking a pic of it but Man I've never seen a Pilot Bearing wear anything out like this did. It cut the shaft down at least 1/8" in between the bearing location of the shaft it was also shaped like a football. Never seen that before.

4'spds are a dime a dozen. Friends give them to friends...otherwise a good replacement might cost you $50 from someone you don't know in or near your town. Look local for a replacement as they are not worth repairing IME and virtually nonexistent in bone yards.

I'm located in the East. FJ40 are never seen much around here. The best price I've found was Cruiser.net $350 free S/H
Would you know of any a little cheaper??

If you decide to rebuild, I can hook you up with an imput shaft pretty cheap. If you need a whole trans, woytovich has a couple for sale in the FS section right now. He's east coast.

Best

Mark A.

Thats terrible Man!.....are the alignment dowels in place between the transmission and bell housing? ....if not they need to be, plus take a look at the dowel mating holes just to make sure they are not all wallered-out..... the s*** needs to be centered and kept tight for all to be happy......

Another place to check is where the TC input gear rides. Made a mistake and bought rebuilt trans with the splines wore out in that location . Lesson learned. I would like to know where they are a dime a dozen. Not in Oregon ....

...I would like to know where they are a dime a dozen. Not in Oregon ....

Rustbelt states, that's where. I know of a boneyard in new Philadelphia, OH that, at least several years ago, had at least a half a dozen. I have personally thrown at least that many away because I found that in least my former little corner of the world that they are not worth the cost of freight. Someday I may wish I had them back.

Hmmm I'm about ready to put my 'new to me 4-sp' onto to my engine. I can see the contact pattern on the output shaft where the t-case gear rides but can barely detect a ridge.

Just how do you determine 'too much' wear? .001" difference? .010"? .100"?

If I slide the t-case gear onto the shaft I can barely detect some axial wiggle.

Advice needed! See Pics...
IMG_1222.jpg
IMG_0719.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom