Inexperienced noob about to tear my FZJ80 apart - Any tips to re-emphasize before rebuilding axles, brakes, steering, and suspension? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been busy with work so things have slowed down a bit, but still making good progress. Need to rebuild, paint, and install the brake calipers and LSPV, reinstall the springs/shocks, and then the rear will be mostly done until I get it back on the ground. Starting on the front end later this week :)

1597682766484.jpeg

1597682778094.jpeg

1597682792870.jpeg

OP, I think you need to go and look up the definitions of noob and inexperienced. It doesn't look like you are a noob at all.

Nice work!

Aww, you're gonna make me blush :redface:

Thanks man. To be honest, I really don't know what I'm doing, but I've probably got 300 hours on here and elsewhere investigating, reading, studying, and note taking. I'm a fast learner but I'm the kind of person who can only learn by doing. I must have read the front axle rebuild threads and FSM five times each, but I couldn't tell you what a hub, knuckle, or spindle were until I held them in my hands. A lot of my buddies think it's odd that I'm putting this much time and effort into a rig I wheel, drag across rocks, etc. While I agree, I planned it this way because I want to learn and apply this knowledge to other projects. When I'm refinishing parts and making everything pretty on the 80, I actually see it as investing in the future of my 1965 Impala :)

Aww, you're gonna make me blush :redface:

Thanks man. To be honest, I really don't know what I'm doing, but I've probably got 300 hours on here and elsewhere investigating, reading, studying, and note taking. I'm a fast learner but I'm the kind of person who can only learn by doing. I must have read the front axle rebuild threads and FSM five times each, but I couldn't tell you what a hub, knuckle, or spindle were until I held them in my hands. A lot of my buddies think it's odd that I'm putting this much time and effort into a rig I wheel, drag across rocks, etc. While I agree, I planned it this way because I want to learn and apply this knowledge to other projects. When I'm refinishing parts and making everything pretty on the 80, I actually see it as investing in the future of my 1965 Impala :)

Best way to learn is by doing. The first rig I built up was a 1969 Ford Bronco. I tore that down completely to the frame and built it back up. Like you, I didn't really know what I was doing - but I learned a ton in that process, and ended up with a pretty cool rig.

So, good job for just diving in. I like it!

OP, I think you need to go and look up the definitions of noob and inexperienced. It doesn't look like you are a noob at all.

Nice work!

I was thinking the same thing.... Noob questions = how do I change my belts or will 33"s fit without a lift.

Nice work thus far, an inspiration for all us 80 series folks who are tied to a desk and wish they had the time to fully dig in like this.

With all the time and effort I've put into going through the lower half of the vehicle, I was seriously bummed knowing everything was going to get coated in oil and ATF soon after I got it back on the road. My original plan was to pull the drivetrain next spring, rebuild the head, and seal everything up. Yesterday I decided I'd try to tackle some of the larger oil leaks before they had a chance to ruin my beauty work. Although I did the valve cover and plug tube seals in 2013, I knew it was leaking again, so I pulled it yesterday. It was WAY worse that I thought, the seal was "cut" by a huge glob of RTV I used to keep it in the channel (told you I was a noob). While I was in there I checked the valve clearances which, though tight, I was happy to find were all within spec. I'll be replacing the distributor o-ring and re-sealing the half moons while I'm in there. I'll also be replacing a bunch of hoses I ordered a while back but couldn't replace due to them being under the intake manifold.

The VC was so bad I'm thinking that's the source of at least 65% of the oil. I know the power steering system is another huge source, so I'll be pulling that today and replacing all the hoses with new. I can't quite tell since everything is so saturated, but it appears that oil level sensor and the crank angle sensor are also leaking, so I'll be pulling those and both engine oil pans (while the front suspension is out) today too.

As always, if anyone has any tips for me or other "while you're in there" suggestions, PLEASE let me know :)

1598193084287.jpeg

1598193173818.jpeg

1598193198504.jpeg

1598193300388.png

1598193330633.png

Are you sure it's a power steering leak? On the high pressure side if there's a leak it won't be subtle, it will spray.

I had atf all over and it was a pinhole leak in the trans cooler lines.

Are you sure it's a power steering leak? On the high pressure side if there's a leak it won't be subtle, it will spray.

I had atf all over and it was a pinhole leak in the trans cooler lines.

Not positive but pretty sure, for years I've had to top up the PS reservoir. I already have all the parts anyhow, so I'm going to do it :)

This project sure has snowballed! In addressing the aforementioned leaks, I realized there's a likely leak coming from the timing cover area as well. Getting to all of this stuff with the powertrain in the vehicle isn't fun nor easy, afterward everything would still be covered in years of gunk, as mentioned I was already planning on pulling the drivetrain. I negotiated yard work in exchange for another month or two of occupying dad's lift, and tomorrow we're pulling the drivetrain! It just makes sense at this point. While it's out I'll have the head rebuilt and, if I'm lucky, everything will be in good enough shape that we can replace the rings and bearings for a light rebuild. We'll also service and reseal the transmission and reseal the transfer case.

1599280985697.jpeg

Last edited:
That’d be my luck! I appreciate the kind words. I’ll be honest, the powertrain stuff is way more intimidating than the axle, suspension, and brake stuff I’ve done so far. I’m confident I’ll get it figured out but just unhooking everything already has me nervous.

Once the engine is out I’m going to reassemble enough of the front suspension to allow the chassis to roll around. Hoping this won’t impede the powertrain reinstall too much.

Slight change of schedule, I’m going to help dad get his friend’s Ford in the next bay finished and out of there today, so we have more room for the powertrain once we pull it. Working next to that car is nerve-racking to say the least!

4C9DE4A4-8E42-4479-AB4B-ED84AD207106.jpeg

Last edited:
That’d be my luck! I appreciate the kind words. I’ll be honest, the powertrain stuff is way more intimidating than the axle, suspension, and brake stuff I’ve done so far. I’m confident I’ll get it figured out but just unhooking everything already has me nervous.

Once the engine is out I’m going to reassemble enough of the front suspension to allow the chassis to roll around. Hoping this won’t impede the powertrain reinstall too much.

Slight change of schedule, I’m going to help dad get his friend’s Ford in the next bay finished and out of there today, so we have more room for the powertrain once we pull it. Working next to that car is nerve-racking to say the least!

View attachment 2426837
you cannot be slinging terms like “VC” etc etc and have a dad with a shop like that and use “inexperienced noob”. you just can’t.👍🏾

you cannot be slinging terms like “VC” etc and have a dad wish a shop like that an use “inexperienced noob”. you just can’t.

I read a lot, great at sounding like I know what I'm talking about! His expertise is on another level, but I've got a bad habit of relying on others when working with someone else, so I never really learn anything. My goal when I started this was to decline any offers of help, and only rely on my dad when necessary (and have him watch me do the more technical stuff, like reassembly of the axles). He'll definitely be helping a bunch with the engine stuff though, I've never had an engine open.

So far this has been an incredible experience. I've already learned so much about general mechanics, cleaning, metal refinishing, painting, fasteners, and all sorts of stuff, but the best part by far is that, after nearly a decade of ownership, I can finally look at almost every component of my FZJ80 and explain to someone else what it is, what it does, how it's supposed to go, etc. I look forward to sharing my new knowledge with the Mud community!

I read a lot, great at sounding like I know what I'm talking about! His expertise is on another level, but I've got a bad habit of relying on others when working with someone else, so I never really learn anything. My goal when I started this was to decline any offers of help, and only rely on my dad when necessary (and have him watch me do the more technical stuff, like reassembly of the axles). He'll definitely be helping a bunch with the engine stuff though, I've never had an engine open.

So far this has been an incredible experience. I've already learned so much about general mechanics, cleaning, metal refinishing, painting, fasteners, and all sorts of stuff, but the best part by far is that, after nearly a decade of ownership, I can finally look at almost every component of my FZJ80 and explain to someone else what it is, what it does, how it's supposed to go, etc. I look forward to sharing my new knowledge with the Mud community!

all good. i’m just saying i think you know more than 80% of the guys with LC anywhere just by osmosis from what i can tell. and either you don’t know it or you are just trying to keep your head down making humble pie. 👍🏾

Don’t lean on any bolts or fasteners until you have them soaked to the threads for at least a couple of days with a good penetrating lube. Unscrew the weight off the lock then re-lock and repeat gradually. If the shanks or nuts are getting warm watch out out or you’ll be tapping out. 😉 You will potentially save hours of grief and buckets of time cost more than we think especially when not factored into your budget.
Work clean with your axle rebuilds, buy 20 rolls of good thick paper towel, you’re going to them.
Remember what order the shims came off and replace them in reverse.
Buy good quality grease appropriate for the application- axles and bearings.
Take care when replacing the inner diff seals, flush them in carefully after smearing the faces and take your time.
If you‘re not certain always ask questions.
Most Importantly-
WEAR BLACK NITRILE GLOVES
your breaks will be longer without washing your hands a million times
USE QUALITY TOOLS
Where possible use 6 face sockets
Buy yourself a good brass mallet and drifts.
TAKE PHOTOS AS REFERENCE BEFORE YOU START
Masking tape and a felt tip are your friends
May the force be with you!!

🦘🦘🦘

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom