Builds indycole's 2016 200 Series Build and Retrospective (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just install a small derrick on the swingarms? And a place to hook your doubling recovery pulley. Then use the winch cable?:)

Not really - there's nothing practical driving this which sort of new territory for me. Just something I'm contemplating as I'm running low on projects :)

Good that you at least recognize that. It was true for me too when I did 35’s. Basically an itch I decided to scratch, and was probably the one major mod I’ve done that I knew wasn’t very practical. Looked & wheeled great, and had some benefits, but ended up not making practical, mechanical (& mainly financial) sense for me. If I had a bigger budget, I’d love to do 35’s again post-regear, but honestly I think the most pronounced mechanical wear to my truck happened during the two years I ran 35’s. If my budget wouldn't wince at the eventual consequences? …I’d be all over bigger tires again.

This is another one of those “you don’t need it” things that come up a lot (like in the dual battery thread right now...). But not everything is about absolute necessity. ;) If it was only necessity…most of us wouldn’t own anything but a prius or a minivan.
I do wonder about all these people I see riding around with a spare on their roof rack.

Me too.
I would have literally rolled if I had that weight that high on a number spots over several years.
Literally at the threshold.
Its why my roof rack rarely has anything on it when wheeling.

Well, I read what I could find on 200-Series body lifts and am not too excited about the amount of work to make it happen on my truck. I'm sure it's an easier process for trucks with fewer mods, but the notion of pulling out storage systems and electrical stuff to access the top side of the mounts, reconfiguring the cut sections of bumper in the front and rear, etc. is low on my priority list.

Still, I'm keen on sorting out the rubbing with 34s and an open to some experimentation since I'll have an extra set of wheels to see if the body lift is absolutely necessary for 37s. I would assume without the body lift that travel would need to be limited.

Well, I read what I could find on 200-Series body lifts and am not too excited about the amount of work to make it happen on my truck. I'm sure it's an easier process for trucks with fewer mods, but the notion of pulling out storage systems and electrical stuff to access the top side of the mounts, reconfiguring the cut sections of bumper in the front and rear, etc. is low on my priority list.

Still, I'm keen on sorting out the rubbing with 34s and an open to some experimentation since I'll have an extra set of wheels to see if the body lift is absolutely necessary for 37s. I would assume without the body lift that travel would need to be limited.

Hey Cole…
You mention sorting out rubbing.
Are you currently getting contact with your 34s?
My 285/75/17’s (34x11.5x17) don’t rub at all.
But I think you’re on 18’s?

Yeah, 18s with either a 20mm or 25mm offset. I rub on KDSS and the rear of the wheel well somehow.

Are you rubbing by the mud flap, or at the body mount? The former is pretty common and easy to fix -I definitely had that issue with 34s on +25 offset wheels.

Are you rubbing by the mud flap, or at the body mount? The former is pretty common and easy to fix -I definitely had that issue with 34s on +25 offset wheels.

Mud flap. I've gone through the standard "heat and mold" approach but have had issues with the plastic spring back to its original location. It's been pretty minor. My 34s also rub the KDSS bar on the driver side (fixed 3 degree caster on the TT UCAs).

All that said this won't be a problem much longer. I refactored the KDSS with Jason's sway bar spacer and mounted the end links outside the cradle. I also drafted a different KDSS spacer with a bit more offset as you recommended and am waiting on the prototype back from the shop. I will say that moving the links outside the cradle and adding the KDSS spacers at the same time was an annoying job. At one point I had two bottle jacks, two ratchet straps, and multiple pry bars in action trying to get everything aligned enough to start threading in the bolts. I must've made an error in my order of operations. I was about 10 minutes away from getting my winch involved (yeah, I did loosen the KDSS valves).

I also did some further modification to the wheel well pinch weld, plastic liner, sheet metal mounts, and started working on the BMC. I'll get it welded up when the truck goes in for some preventative maintenance in a couple weeks.

Tire-wise, I settled on trying out a set of Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T in 305/70r18 (35.3 in diameter, 12.2 in width) to mount on the Heritage BBS wheels with 1 inch Bora spacers. We'll see! Still not psyched about spacers...

Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T
Eyeing this same tire in a completely different size (255/85r17)
Will be interested to hear how they do.

Excited to
Mud flap. I've gone through the standard "heat and mold" approach but have had issues with the plastic spring back to its original location. It's been pretty minor. My 34s also rub the KDSS bar on the driver side (fixed 3 degree caster on the TT UCAs).

All that said this won't be a problem much longer. I refactored the KDSS with Jason's sway bar spacer and mounted the end links outside the cradle. I also drafted a different KDSS spacer with a bit more offset as you recommended and am waiting on the prototype back from the shop. I will say that moving the links outside the cradle and adding the KDSS spacers at the same time was an annoying job. At one point I had two bottle jacks, two ratchet straps, and multiple pry bars in action trying to get everything aligned enough to start threading in the bolts. I must've made an error in my order of operations. I was about 10 minutes away from getting my winch involved (yeah, I did loosen the KDSS valves).

I also did some further modification to the wheel well pinch weld, plastic liner, sheet metal mounts, and started working on the BMC. I'll get it welded up when the truck goes in for some preventative maintenance in a couple weeks.

Tire-wise, I settled on trying out a set of Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T in 305/70r18 (35.3 in diameter, 12.2 in width) to mount on the Heritage BBS wheels with 1 inch Bora spacers. We'll see! Still not psyched about spacers...

Really excited to see you take this next round of mods! It's going to open up a pretty sweet set of options and sizes.

Yes, anything beyond a large 35s is going to require a body lift, unless limiting up travel with spacers. Even your proposed tire size is going to stuff into the fender liner pretty hard. You'll want to tuck the liner above the metal fender tabs, fold the tabs a bit, and likely need to re-contour with some heat. And possibly still need just a mild spacer to limit up travel

Looking forward to the results.

Can’t wait to see the 35s. You gonna get a chance to field test them before Ouray?

305/70r18
my homie! what calculator are you using to get 35.3? My theoretical is 34.8, and weighted width is 34.5" (KO2s).

my homie! what calculator are you using to get 35.3? My theoretical is 34.8, and weighted width is 34.5" (KO2s).
Just going off what’s on MT’s website though I know that’s not always true to reality. I’ll be sure to measure prior to mounting and once weighted for the hive mind.

LT305/70R18
35X12.50R18LT
EBLK126Q9.0
8.0-10.0
3,750 lbs @
65 psi.

Can’t wait to see the 35s. You gonna get a chance to field test them before Ouray?

yeah, I’ll have time for a couple rounds of testing... a bit anxious about the timing but maybe I’ll hang on to my existing set for a while longer

According to Mickey T, they are 35.1x12.4. KO2s are a Little undersized.

but @indycole - 72 lbs? 😮

Well, true, but I couldn’t just move to lighter wheels without offsetting that boon elsewhere, lol.

Nice. Looking forward to checking out your updates in person next month

my KDSS relo was done while on a lift. The shop did it while he had the LCAs off, though I watched. He didn’t open the KDSS valves to do it, just basically unbolted the end links from the arms and the 4 frame bolts. Kdss rep kit went on and the sway bar bolts went on very loose, then the end links went back in (passengers side first). The drivers side required a ratchet strap, a 2’ prying bar, and a block of wood on top of a jack to maneuver things into position. I suspect doing it in my driveway would’ve been way more challenging

fwiw I picked up two blocks of 5/8” aluminum, 2”x7”, and I’m going to make myself an “extended” KDSS relo kit as well when I have some time to mess around. Ordering something custom would’ve probably made more sense but I didn’t think it would be too hard to drill a few holes and tap two of them. I think the extra 1/2” or so of forward adjustment will put the KDSS links at the optimal position.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom