Builds indycole's 2016 200 Series Build and Retrospective (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s got some weight in the back. Rear bumper 34” spare trasharoo. Storage drawer 63qt fridge and a 5 yr old.

What rear springs do you run?

Crazy build and thread.

Since when does SF cover mechanical break downs???

They looked at it as flooding. I was forthright in my disclosure but the reality is that it happened on standard county road.

Hi Cole - bumping your thread because I am considering airbags on my 2016. Our trailer has 375# tongue weight.

Could you kindly take a few minutes and provide some feedback now that you’ve had them for awhile? Many thanks!!!

Sorry for the delay in my reply. Overall, I'm a fan of the airbags. They've worked without issue since installation including a number of pretty technical trips. I don't get a ton of extra height out of them but they play a huge role in leveling if I'm carrying a huge load or towing. I'm not sure they'd be as critical if I ran a stiffer spring in the back but at the moment I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds (aside from the complexity). I, for one, really appreciate being able to adjust the pressure in either bag at the flip of a switch and the digital readout is great. The sensor and switching plumbing takes up a fair amount of room in my glovebox. That's about the only practical downside.

I tossed up some photos of LCDC in the other thread but wanted to share a few random road trip shots and my current to-do list for the 200.

We took 5 days to travel from San Jose to Fort Collins with stops in Santa Barbara, Palm Springs, Winslow, Ojo Caliente, Ouray, and Aspen. A meandering road trip was just what the doctor ordered after months of sheltering in place.

All packed and ready to go

A favorite stop in Winslow

Why not start a fire in your hotel room when it's 100 degrees outside?

I guess Ouray is on the way?

I've sent photos of this guy in Ouray's rock shop every year for the past 10+ years to my little bro

Homemade mask

Killing some time before Gnar opens

Aspen to Leadville via Independence Pass => amazing

Just a fire outside Wendover on the return trip

Aside from some boiling gas I had zero issues with the truck on this past trip. This was one of the few trips where I hadn't done any modifications or changes leading up to the event. There are still a lot of public lands restrictions in our area so I'm taking care of some maintenance work that I've been putting off for a bit.

Maintenance Items
  • Grease front UCA bushings (they're squeaking a bit)
  • Apply some anti-seize to the skid plate hardware
  • Repair some chips in the windshield
  • Invite the local PDR guy over to repair 5-ish small dents
  • Take the truck to the body shop to repair a stick-out dent with paint damage on the hood (I accidentally drilled too far when installing an under-hood light a couple years ago... oops)
  • Repair some nasty interior door panel gouges from carelessly tossing loading cargo in the middle row
  • Review trail scares on bumpers, sliders, etc., clean off any rust, and hit with the rattle can
  • Relocate the rear-view camera... I'd been relying on a camera that syncs with the Garmin Overlander but may not be hanging on to the device
  • Redo my rock light electrical as the split loom has deteriorated... the funny thing is that I used two different brands and one brand is fine and the other isn't but I have no way of knowing which brand is which!
  • Clean up the cockpit a bit by moving the fire extinguisher to the middle row (yet still accessible), getting stuff off of the dash, and further streamlining the ham radio wiring
  • Full detail

Garage Clean-Out
A couple times a year I go through my gear and supplies and sell off what I'm not using. I'll post something in the classifieds soon but here's a preview:
  • 200-Specific Stuff: the V1 Trekboxx middle row storage system, the 3D-printed cupholder (BH3D?) that one of the vendors here makes, a coolbox insert, V1 Trail Tailor front recovery points.
  • Major Camping Stuff: Eezi-Awn Stealth RTT (condition 6/10), XV-3 Trailer (still for sale... just haven't done a very good job marketing it), QuickPitch Ensuite shower awning... I just had a hard time mounting this to the K9 roof rack and ended up buying Eezi-Awn's offering.
  • Small Stuff: Tiny Manfrotto tripod, Gitzo carbon fiber tripod, National Luna white light, National Luna red light, 2 x National Luna battery monitors, a bunch of heavy duty Blue Sea terminal bars / power bars, tiny Snow Peak capming stove, a couple OBA + SB50/175 Wits End brackets, Redarc SBI, Niteize suction cup mount, Victron Battery Monitor, set of MaxTrax pins, Eezi-Awn Maxtrax Mounts, Cobra CB radio, Garmin Overlander GPS thing, probably some other minor stuff

Aside from some boiling gas I had zero issues with the truck on this past trip. This was one of the few trips where I hadn't done any modifications or changes leading up to the event. There are still a lot of public lands restrictions in our area so I'm taking care of some maintenance work that I've been putting off for a bit.

Maintenance Items
  • Take the truck to the body shop to repair a stick-out dent with paint damage on the hood (I accidentally drilled too far when installing an under-hood light a couple years ago... oops)
  • Repair some nasty interior door panel gouges from carelessly tossing loading cargo in the middle row
  • Review trail scares on bumpers, sliders, etc., clean off any rust, and hit with the rattle can
  • Relocate the rear-view camera... I'd been relying on a camera that syncs with the Garmin Overlander but may not be hanging on to the device
  • Redo my rock light electrical as the split loom has deteriorated... the funny thing is that I used two different brands and one brand is fine and the other isn't but I have no way of knowing which brand is which!
  • Clean up the cockpit a bit by moving the fire extinguisher to the middle row (yet still accessible), getting stuff off of the dash, and further streamlining the ham radio wiring
  • Full detail

Garage Clean-Out
A couple times a year I go through my gear and supplies and sell off what I'm not using. I'll post something in the classifieds soon but here's a preview:
  • 200-Specific Stuff: the V1 Trekboxx middle row storage system, the 3D-printed cupholder (BH3D?) that one of the vendors here makes, a coolbox insert, V1 Trail Tailor front recovery points.
  • Major Camping Stuff: Eezi-Awn Stealth RTT (condition 6/10), XV-3 Trailer (still for sale... just haven't done a very good job marketing it), QuickPitch Ensuite shower awning... I just had a hard time mounting this to the K9 roof rack and ended up buying Eezi-Awn's offering.
  • Small Stuff: Tiny Manfrotto tripod, Gitzo carbon fiber tripod, National Luna white light, National Luna red light, 2 x National Luna battery monitors, a bunch of heavy duty Blue Sea terminal bars / power bars, tiny Snow Peak capming stove, a couple OBA + SB50/175 Wits End brackets, Redarc SBI, Niteize suction cup mount, Victron Battery Monitor, set of MaxTrax pins, Eezi-Awn Maxtrax Mounts, Cobra CB radio, Garmin Overlander GPS thing, probably some other minor stuff
Cole, great photos above. Looks like the trip was a fun adventure, and awesome you are getting to catch up on some loose ends.

How come you are selling the Garmin Overlander? Just not necessary when you can use an app like Gaia?

What lands are restricted in Northern California?

Maintenance Items
  • Full detail

Garage Clean-Out
I might be interested in the recovery points. Will shoot you a pm.

Cole, great photos above. Looks like the trip was a fun adventure, and awesome you are getting to catch up on some loose ends.

How come you are selling the Garmin Overlander? Just not necessary when you can use an app like Gaia?

What lands are restricted in Northern California?

Actually, now that you mention that it looks like all the local state parks are open now (i.e. Butano, our fav). Guess I can now put this maintenance work off and do some camping :)

Re: the Overlander... it's a cool device but I prefer Gaia GPS and have not found a good workflow for transferring that information. The rear cameras have also not worked out as well as I'd planned. I'd much prefer Carplay and will be observing how the add-ons in the other threads work out for people.

Actually, now that you mention that it looks like all the local state parks are open now (i.e. Butano, our fav). Guess I can now put this maintenance work off and do some camping :)

Re: the Overlander... it's a cool device but I prefer Gaia GPS and have not found a good workflow for transferring that information. The rear cameras have also not worked out as well as I'd planned. I'd much prefer Carplay and will be observing how the add-ons in the other threads work out for people.
Awesome that they are now all open! Butano is pretty sweet.

I agree, Gaia with premium is a good set up. Curious as well about the new CarPlay add ons work. Though I did see a post with an iPad conveniently "mounted" with an iPad Smart Cover right over the screen which seemed like a handy thing.

Just tossed up the classified thread with some 200-specific stuff and a bunch of other oddities...

Finished the first iteration of utilizing the area below the middle row storage system and the door. I was originally planning on sewing some saddlebag-style solution but ended up going this route.

The passenger side has our main first aid kit on a quick release mount and a wool blanket. The tank plumbing/electrical also runs in this area but isn’t shown.

FE826A8E-C8BC-4F39-B3D2-376AABB7CAAF.jpeg

The driver side has a couple features. First, some framed storage netting. There are two large nets on the side of the Trekboxx and a couple attaches to the underside of the platform.

86A5CC7C-94A1-46CB-B344-E297343F253C.jpeg

What’s up with those D-rings? I use a simple bungee cord to store quick access stuff. Currently, two camp chairs and another wool blanket.

279C7B2A-E080-4B9D-ADFF-B8AF9AFBE304.jpeg

Finished the first iteration of utilizing the area below the middle row storage system and the door. I was originally planning on sewing some saddlebag-style solution but ended up going this route.

The passenger side has our main first aid kit on a quick release mount and a wool blanket. The tank plumbing/electrical also runs in this area but isn’t shown.

View attachment 2413167

The driver side has a couple features. First, some framed storage netting. There are two large nets on the side of the Trekboxx and a couple attaches to the underside of the platform.

View attachment 2413168

What’s up with those D-rings? I use a simple bungee cord to store quick access stuff. Currently, two camp chairs and another wool blanket.

View attachment 2413169
Very nice details, well done.

Who makes your water tank in the second row?

Thanks!

The tank is a custom project from Tek-Tanks. They can make virtually anything at a reasonable cost and timeline though they are in the UK so shipping is expensive.

This one is around 21 gallons (a bit over 20 usable) with baffles, standard inlet/outlet with pickup/vent plumbing, and an electronic sensing unit for monitoring fill level.

I use a couple rubber blocks to level it over the transmission hump and then double up blocks on one side once the tank is running low to angle the water toward the outlet.

Thanks!

The tank is a custom project from Tek-Tanks. They can make virtually anything at a reasonable cost and timeline though they are in the UK so shipping is expensive.

This one is around 21 gallons (a bit over 20 usable) with baffles, standard inlet/outlet with pickup/vent plumbing, and an electronic sensing unit for monitoring fill level.

I use a couple rubber blocks to level it over the transmission hump and then double up blocks on one side once the tank is running low to angle the water toward the outlet.
Found the company on the internet and bookmarked, thanx!

Twenty gallons carried behind the front seats is what I'm doing now with a hodge podge of tanks and cans. I would really like having a more sanitary solution, so this is going to be worth the cost.

Or you can go to a place that makes tanks for RVs. I had one fabbed that holds 15 gallons, added fittings from a hose retailer for about $150.00. Doesn't have a sensor for water level, but works great. Can fill from either side and move the spigot to either side as well ( only before filling).

IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_2247.JPG

IMG_2248.JPG

I added some BD LP6s to the front bumper. I figured that Jason had the premonition to drill some holes in the top of the bumper that I had not used plus I had an unused circuit on the sPod. After a bit of debate, I decided to wire them only to use the high beam rather than high + low + amber driving lights. They're the spot light version since the BD light bar is a combo driving light.

IMG_1340.JPG

I've also been tidying up the cabin trying to actually get it as close to stock as possible. With the amount of mods in the rest of the vehicle I wanted to keep the cabin a bit simpler. We've also had more theft / break-ins around here so this way it's easier to toss a couple things in the glovebox and lock up. I'm also leaving the Trekboxx locked up these days due to the same concerns.

It took some trial and error but I really like the new ham radio setup. Here's a bit of an overview:
  • Icom 5100 radio located in the glovebox.
  • Speaker is mounted in the headliner above driver seat and the speaker cable goes from the glovebox to the overhead console via the passenger A piller.
  • Microphone goes from the glovebox, along the firewall to the 2x2 switch panel to the right of the steering wheel where there is an RJ45 plug.
  • The microphone hangs off of a Nite Ize steelier that lives on a Pro Clip extension plate near my phone holder. I use the standard plate though the "two device" version would give you more room to play with. I drape the mic cable around the phone holder when I'm not actively hamming it up. My significant other can also reach the mic from here.
  • The radio faceplate mounts to a Pro Clip base + Quick Release Plate + Heavy Duty Swivel. The quick release plate makes it easy to swap to a different device holder like my wife's Pro Clip iPhone holder, the sat phone for super remote trips, etc.
  • From the angle in the photo below you can't even see the RJ12 cable for the radio faceplate. That particular cables goes from the glovebox to the passenger side cushion and travels through a modified area of the Pro Clip mount. When not in use the cable coils up and is stored in the dead space between the mount and the dash.
  • All in all, we can set up the radio stuff in a matter of seconds and break it down when we're leaving the truck while traveling.
IMG_1016.JPG

IMG_3124.jpg

Stupid question: why are the black scepter water cans so rare? I had to have black to match my murdered out rig, but this was the only place i was able to find them. Is there a disadvantage to them?

They warm your water which is either a feature or a problem depending on what you want.

Stupid question: why are the black scepter water cans so rare? I had to have black to match my murdered out rig, but this was the only place i was able to find them. Is there a disadvantage to them?

Other than what @DRCocaCola said, probably just a supply vs. demand thing? Most official water cans are blue just like red is used for gasoline.

Wow, it's been around six months since I've shared any updates about the truck. There's nothing terribly exciting to share but there are a few things worth logging.

We certainly haven't traveled as much for the past year for all the obvious reasons. We used to do a lot of camping nearby (just normal campground stuff in the Santa Cruz mountains), but many of our favorite spots have not reopened after last summer's fires. Bummer. Work's also taken up more of our time which isn't necessarily a bad thing. We've been sticking closer to home than usual — day trips and quick overnighters to Hollister Hills, Big Sur, SLO, Ojai, Tahoe, Santa Cruz, etc.

I couldn't make Cruise Moab due to a wedding, but @codyaustin5 and I took advantage of the awesome spring weather in Moab to break in his 80-series driveline upgrades on the trails and to do some LCDC planning. We hit Fins 'n Things, explored Sand Flats Rd out to La Sal Pass, and wound our way down to Onion Creek via Thompson Canyon / Polar Mesa. We also did Poison Spider (well, as far as we could go before a massive traffic jam where we decided to turn around), Top of the World, camped near the Delores River at Robert's Bottom, and capped the trip with Sevenmile Rim including all the fun side trips off of that route. For future reference, Sevenmile Rim was an incredible trail that offers a bit of everything.

Some very boring but scenic footage (this is essentially raw footage that I haven't had time to edit down and don't expect to edit):

Sevenmile Rim and Poison Spider - https://youtu.be/JEUCPfHsqdE

What about some actual 200-Series tech?

The truck's at an age (68,000 miles) where I'm putting more time and energy into refining and preventative maintenance over further modification. I was pretty rough on the truck in Moab and spent a few weeks inspecting, fixing, and maintaining after the trip.
  • Skids: The BB skids saw some action on this trip and held up very, very well. The aluminum fuel tank skid caved in a bit around the middle and had some galling. I straightened it out with a hammer (had to remove it to do so, obvi) and ground down the areas that got snagged. Some of the hardware also needed to be replaced so I took this as an opportunity to remove all the skids, steam-clean the undercarriage, replace and reapply anti-sieze to the skid hardware.
  • Bumper: Not surprisingly, the rear bumper experienced some cosmetic damage (mainly along the lower lip) from ledges and scraping, but it was easy to grind down and touch up. I really enjoy wheeling in Moab with the Trail Tailor bumper much more than I did with the plastic.
  • Frame/Undercarriage: The rear diff drain plug got hit pretty hard and the metal of the plug was essentially "blended" into surrounding flange. Fortunately, it neither loosened nor was overly-torqued so I touched it up with a die grinder and will replace the plug the next time I change the fluid. I also took some hits on the frame that required attention.
  • Fluids: Oil change! Power steering looks good. Brake fluid looks good. The coolant needs replaced soon-ish as it's running a little acidic based on the uber-accurate $.10 test strip.
  • Driveline: Checked fluid levels and greased the driveshafts.
  • Aux Fuel: Replaced the charcoal canister (I flooded it last summer, oops), upgraded the vent line (kudos to @TeCKis300), replaced the VSV, and blew out the line leading to the VSV
  • Rock Lights: I installed rock lights a couple years ago and never got around to installing waterproof connectors (I like Deutsch connectors). They were all hardwired. I ended up replacing a lot of the wiring as some (but not all) of the split loom essentially disintegrated. Gotta love installing the same mod twice.
  • Interior/Exterior: Full at-home detail including applying Leatherique to the Terra seats, and clay + cut + polish + wax on the exterior.

Upgrades
  • Electrical: I cleaned up my aux wiring using some of Slee's new fancy bracketry. This should make maintenance and testing a little easier. (photo below)
  • Spare Tire Storage: A friend came back from J-burg with some gear from Camp Cover for me. I've been wanting to try these for a while... tire storage bags with a bit of protection on top of the tire. The bags are pretty amazing. My complete Snow Peak fire pit setup fits in the back-most pocket in one bag and I keep a utility mat in the second bag. The main storage area on each bag is completely empty and will be used for trash, dirty recovery gear, etc. on the trail. (photo below)
  • Gear: A good friend of ours picked up an 80-Series as her first off-road vehicle and she's essentially starting from scratch when it comes to gear. I took this as an opportunity to donate a bunch of recovery/emergency gear and tools to her cause and upgrade my own kit. Perhaps I'll cover this in more detail in another post, but it's been like Christmas receiving boxes from my favorite recovery and tooling product companies.
IMG_4410.jpg

IMG_4498.jpg

More Maintenance...

Ahead of the Moab trip I replaced my serpentine belt and tensioner. I had also planned on changing the idler pulley but encountered a bit of surprise. Even after application of PB Blaster and heat, I was unable to remove the bolt from the pulley. Ugh. I didn't have a ton of room to work and I was worried about rounding the head of the bolt. I decided to check the torque and stopped at 100 ft-lbs (the spec is around 30-40, if I recall). I aborted at this point fearful that I'd break the bolt head off at home and that I'd be unable to replace it.

Long story short, the truck is going to Valley Hybrids in June to do the typical 75/100/125k maintenance items way ahead of schedule. Here's the punch-list so far...
  • Replace alternator (will keep the old alternator and replace the brushes as a spare)
  • Replace radiator
  • Replace fan shroud, bracket, clutch, fan itself, and coolant
  • Replace heater hose Ts
  • Replace water pump
  • Replace starter
  • Address idler stuck bolt and replace the pulley
I'll be curious to find out if there are more bolt issues with those other components on the front of the engine. I blame the Glenwood Springs Toyota tech who likely took parts off my destroyed engine and attached to the replacement engine with an impact disregarding torque specs and the dynamics of steel bolts in aluminum.

What's Next?

Well, each of my BP-51s is leaking to varying degrees. As far as I know ARB isn't servicing yet and stock is in short supply. I put in an order a few months ago with Filthy for a King 2.5 suspension. ETA is currently late summer but who knows. Along with the Kings...
  • 6 x Heritage bronze wheels are incoming
  • .75 inch spacers from Bora
  • Body mount chop
  • KDSS component replacements/fixes - the swaybar bushings aren't doing well so I'm going to replace those, do the KDSS relocation, replace the endlinks and attach on the outside of the arm thanks to the work from @Willy beamin, @Atwalz, @linuxgod
  • I'm doing most of this to simply make 34s fit better but I'm not ruling out larger tires in the future
  • I'm also looking into replacing the main FLA and aux AGM with lithium

Last edited:
  • I'm doing most of this to simply make 34s fit better but I'm not ruling out larger tires in the future
might as well go ahead and relent. once you've done the BMC no reason to prevaricate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom