Importing an FJ40 from another country? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

My grandfather passed away a few years ago, and my uncle (his son) sold his FJ40, not knowing I wanted it. I had a lot of memories as a child riding in the back, going up to his coffee farms in the jungles of El Salvador. He had other vehicles, but he always took his FJ40 because it was the only vehicle that could make the sharp incline going up to our property. He was also the original owner, so it carries a lot of sentimental value.

My uncle knows who he sold his FJ to, and assuming I can convince him to sell it to me, I would like to strip it down and do a ground-up restoration of it. Since the vehicle is in El Salvador, I would assume I would have to put it in a shipping container and have it brought by boat to California. Has anyone done this before? If so, can anyone tell me any troubles they encountered in registering it? Also assuming it is possible, I would purchase a clean diesel FJ40 as well since the shipping container could probably hold two of them.

Any advice or input is appreciated.

Thanks.

My advice is find someone that imports cars/trucks regularly from central/South America and pay them.

I have a New Zealand 45 that the previous owner imported and the amount of knowledge needed to do it is massive. It can be done but I'd rather pay someone else to deal with the bureaucracy. I had a hard enough time titling the 45, took about 6 months.

You can read up on my BJ40 importation from Costa Rica if you want. I documented all costs and problems I encountered. Thread is in my sig line.

Thanks for the advice. This is looking very possible. I'll talk to my uncle about reaching out to the owner before I head over there. My uncle has had a couple of BJ40's, so hopefully he can also find me a nice one to purchase too.

You can read up on my BJ40 importation from Costa Rica if you want. I documented all costs and problems I encountered. Thread is in my sig line.

Thanks. Looks like a little over $600 in fees and $2,800 in shipping. The Port of Long Beach is a huge shipping terminal, which is where I'd ship to, so I'm hoping my costs will be a little less, especially if I'm purchasing 2. California registration might be a little more, though. I'll plan for $2,500 per vehicle +/- $500.

Thanks Johnny C. Need to budget $5000 export/import/title costs and much more for transfer costs within Colombia. There are almost no BJ40s in Colombia. I do not ship for others due to the fact buyers looking for a deal do not see all the real costs and also because I have to guarantee clear Florida title and registration within the buyer's county/state. Prices for quality trucks have skyrocketed on the ground since early 2016 forcing me to do frame off restorations to keep the quality high. To register in California you will need a pre 1967 gasoline FJ with original F engine. To register a BJ40 diesel you will need pre 1979 BJ40 (of which there are practically none in Colombia). I paid top dollar for the last 2 FJs I completed in early 2016 then spent 2 to 3 months overhauling them including extensive mechanical work on what would appear to be a very nice truck. After doing 12 FJs I would say mechanically all of the trucks needed about the same... 1979 FJ43 example. Would not run 35 mph when purchased (but strong motor). Here is the after photo after 3 to 4 months overhaul.
zafiro farewell2.jpg

Work on that truck..... Purchased summer 2015. Work done early 2016 and delivered shortly after and sold. Please note the long timeline. Work received... extensive paint touch up including exterior rear of the truck. new soft top. new interior. all new glass mostly. 5 new tires and rims. all new brakes. new brake booster (they are always bad). new steering box (always bad). new AISIN manual hubs. new carb. rebuilt radiator. electrical work. exhaust. new radio. clutch, engine axles, transmission always good mostly (credit to strength of Toyota 40 series). new fan. new waterpump. level suspension and broken leaves. new shackes. new shocks. fix parking brake. Probably 10 days full time mechanic working on the truck. then back in Florida a bit more work. So... Colombian trucks best models and bodies in general vs US sourced and mechanical as found would be much worse than US sourced. I do fear that most people are overlooking this.

To register in California you will need a pre 1967 gasoline FJ with original F engine. View attachment 1357252

Are you sure it's not pre-1976 instead of 1967? 1976 is the first year of smog obligations in California.

Maybe, just maybe, the new EPA chief chosen by the new administration will do something about our cut-throat smog laws.

Agreed that California is terrible for imports. Imagine telling a prospective client no you can not have a 1982 FJ43. Maddeningly California is represented on TV and online as the great location for classic cars when the reality is the opposite. This may be why CA has the highest prices and auction prices.

Remember import rules are different than the rules WITHIN California or within the USA. That pre 1974 thing that people quote is for US trucks within the US in another state not imported from another country (could could be wrong on that).

Registering an NON-USA, out-of-country, or "Grey Market" car in California

Not an expert but I read ALL the info I could find and this is what I believe 95% to be true...

I have NOT registered one but my understanding is for 1968 gasoline and above can not register imported vehicle. possibly above 1974 but look at the regulations. Same with diesel above 1980. These rules go way back to the Clean Air Act 1968. I thought they were recent (although maybe they are enforcing them now more).

WHY California wants to restrict the entire import market of rolling 25 year Federally imported classics is certainly a very LONG discussion. It is my experience also that MANY jurisdictions should be investigated before importing a truck. People gloss over everything. the goal is to have the truck/car registered in your county in your city.

HOW does California find out if a Florida titled "1979 Toyt UT" is in fact an imported from another country car anyhow? Because atleast in Florida there is a CODE on the FL title that is for 'import'.

So what I have learned so far is that yes most states in the US aside from CA have waivers for emissions on 25 year old trucks. However, some states have different rules especially bec 25 years old is now into 1990 meaning stricter emissions. Also not only do States have different emissions rules but the counties and cities do to.

Anyhow that is why I say 10 steps to get "the truck from Colombia (or wherever) to the US" and you miss one step and there is not a good result. You have to travel, find, negotiate, wire money, transfer the truck into your name, store the truck, ship the truck within Colombia, export the truck under Colombia rules, import via US rules, clear the port, ship within the USA, VIN inspection, register/title under rules of one of the 50 states. Doable? yes. easy? people who have never done it seem to say it is easy.

Long post but would be interesting thread to get the CA guys to comment that as far I can tell all the cool turbo diesels post 1980 can not be imported from around the world to CA. So as the rolling 25 year Federal exemption goes into the 1990s CA sits on the sidelines.

Drive her back to the states, it would be a great experience. When you would tell that story people would listen.
You would still be going through the same process to get it in your name before you drive it into another country. Also you would still be shipping it from South America to at least Panama since there in no connecting road. Driving it would be fun, I thought about it.

You would still be going through the same process to get it in your name before you drive it into another country. Also you would still be shipping it from South America to at least Panama since there in no connecting road. Driving it would be fun, I thought about it.
Yea but would you survive the trip? Or end up shot by drug cartels who see an American driving a sweet 40?

Yea but would you survive the trip? Or end up shot by drug cartels who see an American driving a sweet 40?
Not all who live south are out to get us. I'm sure you can avoid the bad parts of any country just like we all do the same in 'Merica's big cities. I can't argue much since I haven't done the drive but I know people who have and they all say everyone is welcoming and friendly.

Work on that truck..... Purchased summer 2015. Work done early 2016 and delivered shortly after and sold. Please note the long timeline. Work received... extensive paint touch up including exterior rear of the truck. new soft top. new interior. all new glass mostly. 5 new tires and rims. all new brakes. new brake booster (they are always bad). new steering box (always bad). new AISIN manual hubs. new carb. rebuilt radiator. electrical work. exhaust. new radio. clutch, engine axles, transmission always good mostly (credit to strength of Toyota 40 series). new fan. new waterpump. level suspension and broken leaves. new shackes. new shocks. fix parking brake. Probably 10 days full time mechanic working on the truck. then back in Florida a bit more work. So... Colombian trucks best models and bodies in general vs US sourced and mechanical as found would be much worse than US sourced. I do fear that most people are overlooking this.
You are right. Im
Facing all those fixes. I also knew that for the start. But by doing so, you know you get a new car when done. Looks
Like all those repairs wouldn’t be an issue w. Importing it? I’ve been reading about the 25 year rule. And can’t fond what modifications means to the EPA. I’m Keeping the original motor and chassi. But have to rebuild the motor. The transmission is a Toyota 4 speed. Not the 3 speeed original ?And is a 71. Do you know if changing to electrick ignition and having a f3 starter will void the 25year rule? The car has ac power steering and front disc breaks. Previous owner did that in the 80’s. All Toyota. But I have to rebuild/replace that also. Are those consider modifications by the EPA or dot? I’ve been told that chassi and motor are what they only THING customs Checks for. But is my 1st time not just importing a car , but a nut and bold restoration. 71’didnt came w. Power stealing, ac, disc breaks, roll bar, electric ignition at f3 starters. But if is not an import issue. And it was originally done back in the 80’s......... anny tips ill
Appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom