Importing a 70 for farm use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

He confirmed it was a newer model and it had noticeable differences from my ‘96 FZJ80
Then it's clearly here illegally. Will he ever get caught? Probably not but some do. As I'm sure you are aware, having a valid state title and/or registration doesn't make it legal Federally.

He confirmed it was a newer model and it had noticeable differences from my ‘96 FZJ80
Hmm I didn't see that one , was it with the group of Venezolanos that also had the modified Dobinson 4Runner that rolled over on that downhill ?

Hmm I didn't see that one , was it with the group of Venezolanos that also had the modified Dobinson 4Runner that rolled over on that downhill ?
not gonna go into more details as to who it was, just that it was there. there was also a right hand drive 80 series there but I didnt get to talk to the owner about that one. It was cool to see it though.

If it was a FZJ80 and newer than 25yrs it is legally importable.

If it is an HDJ80/81 or HZJ80/81 it is not importable until 25ys old.

Cheers

Cheers
is this because even though it wasnt sold here, it would still meet any safety requirements or EPA requirements?

is this because even though it wasnt sold here, it would still meet any safety requirements or EPA requirements?

Yes it complies with EPA and DOT regs.

You can import a UZJ100 if you like. No idea why you would but it’s not 25yrs old and fully importable.

Cheers

Cheers
So a 1997 GCC spec FZJ80 with a carburetor is legally importable? I have seen documentation that a European 100 series was fully importable as someone apparently went through the trouble to appeal the case but I had not heard that about an 80 from anywhere in the world as long as it's a gasoline engine.

Pretty sure my 1994 FZJ75 with the 1FZ-F (carburated) engine doesn't meet EPA specs but of course that's slightly apples and pears.

There is a way to get them in legally before they're 25, but it involves jumping through a few hoops and spending some money. After these cars turn 21 years old, they're OK to bring in as far as the EPA is concerned, but you'd need to use a Registered Importer and have the vehicles modified to meet US FMVSS so the NHTSA is happy, too. Because there's a "substantially similar" vehicle that was sold in the US, the parts exist for the modification. Totally legit. Only 21 years old. Bit of a PITA, though.

So a 1997 GCC spec FZJ80 with a carburetor is legally importable?

Yes, but, as above, only through a Registered Importer and only with FMVSS modifications as necessary. If you wait until 2022, you can bring it in no strings attached.

I have seen documentation that a European 100 series was fully importable

Same deal. If it's over 21, EPA doesn't care. NHTSA requires you use a Registered Importer, and modify the vehicle to meet US FMVSS.

Pretty sure my 1994 FZJ75 with the 1FZ-F (carburated) engine doesn't meet EPA specs

As long as it was imported after it's 21st birthday, the EPA grants an exemption. No specs to meet as far as the Feds are concerned. You still have your local State or Municipality to deal with regarding emissions, though.

Yes, but if it doesn't have the US compliance sticker on it, it would still need to be brought in via a Registered Importer to be here legally.

In the case of this particular vehicle, it was titled and insured (at least that’s what I was told) so there wouldn’t be a problem.

Title and insurance does not mean a vehicle is in the USA legally. It is possible to smuggle a car past Customs and still get plates in some states. Insurance is happy to take your money but may balk at paying claims.

There is a way to get them in legally before they're 25, but it involves jumping through a few hoops and spending some money. After these cars turn 21 years old, they're OK to bring in as far as the EPA is concerned, but you'd need to use a Registered Importer and have the vehicles modified to meet US FMVSS so the NHTSA is happy, too. Because there's a "substantially similar" vehicle that was sold in the US, the parts exist for the modification. Totally legit. Only 21 years old. Bit of a PITA, though.

Yes, but, as above, only through a Registered Importer and only with FMVSS modifications as necessary. If you wait until 2022, you can bring it in no strings attached.

Same deal. If it's over 21, EPA doesn't care. NHTSA requires you use a Registered Importer, and modify the vehicle to meet US FMVSS.

As long as it was imported after it's 21st birthday, the EPA grants an exemption. No specs to meet as far as the Feds are concerned. You still have your local State or Municipality to deal with regarding emissions, though.

Yes, but if it doesn't have the US compliance sticker on it, it would still need to be brought in via a Registered Importer to be here legally.

Title and insurance does not mean a vehicle is in the USA legally. It is possible to smuggle a car past Customs and still get plates in some states. Insurance is happy to take your money but may balk at paying claims.
:mic drop:

I met a guy this weekend at the Lone Star Toyota Jamboree that had a late model 80 from Central America….100% black market truck and it was rolling with an up to date state plate. This stuff is being done, and j get the feeling it’s not enforced.

I get what you are saying, and since I have an 80, probably won’t be bringing over a 76 now but I’m getting the feeling it’s easier than it seems on the surface .

It is being enforced. You may not see it. The Land Rover guys took a huge hit a couple of years ago importing later model trucks with older model VIN's. More than 50 were confiscated by the EPA and crushed. There is a a show /display exemption that allows for 2500 miles a year. It requires the truck be available any time for inspection by the EPA as well.

If someone has enough dough, a grj70/78/79 could come in as well.

pre order truck with ABS and airbags and tire sensors. GRJ engine is in US delivered 4runners and the base engine should be convertible to US spec. Come on folks, open the door.

Well folks, I thought the issues were with getting it titled and registered in state but it appears the issue is more the nhtsa/epa and getting it through customs without being compliant. Anyway, I appreducate the help. I guess my dreams of a 70 series Ute will go back to the periphery and 8 will reengage on putting a tray bed on a Tacoma or tundra. Thanks folks!

this tray bed option is 100% ideal. I have both a BJ75 and Tacoma with tray bed. Go legal, and be smart: get the tray bed and Tacoma. You will freakin’ love it.

It is being enforced. You may not see it. The Land Rover guys took a huge hit a couple of years ago importing later model trucks with older model VIN's. More than 50 were confiscated by the EPA and crushed. There is a a show /display exemption that allows for 2500 miles a year. It requires the truck be available any time for inspection by the EPA as well.
It’s my understanding that all of those vehicles with the exception of 1 or 2 were returned to their owners after some lengthy litigation. Supposedly there are some articles floating around the internet that confirms this.

this tray bed option is 100% ideal. I have both a BJ75 and Tacoma with tray bed. Go legal, and be smart: get the tray bed and Tacoma. You will freakin’ love it.

I am curious to see what the Tacoma looks like with the tray bed. Any pics you can share?

It’s my understanding that all of those vehicles with the exception of 1 or 2 were returned to their owners after some lengthy litigation. Supposedly there are some articles floating around the internet that confirms this.

My understanding was most of those were later model frames and engines under early bodies and VIN's . It has been a while since I read about them.

Yes. Thoae land rovers were returned.

id like to see any source ahowing any cars have been impounded since then.

Yes. Thoae land rovers were returned.

id like to see any source ahowing any cars have been impounded since then.
Not sure if it was the same people, but there was a place in South Carolina importing bmc mini coopers and Land rovers that went out of business some years back rather quickly, I think there was an article in the local paper about them similar story. .......... There's plenty of things you can get away with as an individual if you're not hurting anyone. If you decide to make a business out of getting around the law, or start blabbing about the internet until it becomes a popular thing and others start doing it the government's going to get wind of and get upset that people are getting over or they're not getting their tax money in some form and shut it down. Maybe even go after everyone who benefited from it that they can track down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom