Importing a 70 for farm use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks, as we are looking for a truck for use around the farm I am revisiting the idea of importing a 70 series as both a personal interest and a great farm use vehicle. Here in VA as long as you own/operate a farm you can use it on road within 75 miles of the farm as long as you are conducting farm chores. There is no need to register or inspect farm use vehicles at all. On that note, I am aware of the 25 year requirement to import a vehicle and register it traditionally to be used on road but what about importing a new or newer 70 series to be used solely on the farm? At least any issue with registering it or titling it would be sidestepped. Thoughts?

Can’t be done legally even for “farm use” but no one is stopping you. Many people still “sidestep” the laws and import newer than 25 year old land cruisers. They just don’t post them here or rarely do.

Your biggest concern is getting into an accident on the highway with your “farm truck”.

Can’t be done legally even for “farm use” but no one is stopping you. Many people still “sidestep” the laws and import newer than 25 year old land cruisers. They just don’t post them here or rarely do.

Your biggest concern is getting into an accident on the highway with your “farm truck”.
Still need to insure it if using on road but no issues with registration or titling. what is illegal about importing a truck for this use? I thought all the legalities applied to on road vehicles?

Maybe I misunderstood your post. It seemed like you said you will drive it on the farm and within 75 miles of said farm. Are you saying in Virginia that the legalities of on road use doesn't apply to vehicles titled and registered as farm use?

I am sure others will chime in here as I am no expert at all, certainly when it comes down to state by state basis.

Maybe you should ask @jblueridge as I think he lives in Virginia.

Virginia must be more liberal than Georgia when it comes to off-road / farm vehicles. There are at least 2 late model Defenders on plantations down here. None of them can be registered nor are they legally allowed to leave the premises of the plantations.

what is illegal about importing a truck for this use? I thought all the legalities applied to on road vehicles?

I was under the impression that it was importation itself, not whether it would be driven on the road or not.

Imagine the cluster **** of getting into an accident with a black market vehicle where someone is hurt (or worse). You may not have to title or register in your state but do you think you don’t have to insure it? Do you think you’re insurance company won’t drop you if you’re involved in an accident?

I doubt anyone will offer advice on how to get an non-conforming vehicle into the states on an open forum.

Well folks, I thought the issues were with getting it titled and registered in state but it appears the issue is more the nhtsa/epa and getting it through customs without being compliant. Anyway, I appreducate the help. I guess my dreams of a 70 series Ute will go back to the periphery and 8 will reengage on putting a tray bed on a Tacoma or tundra. Thanks folks!

Well folks, I thought the issues were with getting it titled and registered in state but it appears the issue is more the nhtsa/epa and getting it through customs without being compliant. Anyway, I appreducate the help. I guess my dreams of a 70 series Ute will go back to the periphery and 8 will reengage on putting a tray bed on a Tacoma or tundra. Thanks folks!

There are other legal ways. I know of a nice ute in Canada for sale.

Buy a legal cruiser and do a wide nose conversion.

Put a tray on a RCSB 2nd Gen Tundra. You'll have a far better ute, overall, at a much cheaper price than a 70. Not even in the realm of coolness compared to a 70 but still, there are plenty of very nice single cab options in the US that people overlook for some reason.

Joshua, you might want to call, or better yet visit, Duncan Imports in Christiansburg. They import all sorts of JDM vehicles including mini trucks. Some are new but not legal for road use. They know the US and Virginia rules backwards and forwards. When the weather cools down, go visit their acres of JDM collector cars.

Put a tray on a RCSB 2nd Gen Tundra. You'll have a far better ute, overall, at a much cheaper price than a 70. Not even in the realm of coolness compared to a 70 but still, there are plenty of very nice single cab options in the US that people overlook for some reason.
Yeah this is what I will do if the 70 isn’t an option but I thought it was worth a shot.

Joshua, you might want to call, or better yet visit, Duncan Imports in Christiansburg. They import all sorts of JDM vehicles including mini trucks. Some are new but not legal for road use. They know the US and Virginia rules backwards and forwards. When the weather cools down, go visit their acres of JDM collector cars.
Awesome, will do.

Don’t throw in the towel to quick on owning a 70 Series. With the exception of some cosmetic updates the 70 Series has basically remained unchanged over the years. Buy a 25 year old 70 Series and call it a day. It will perform every task a late model one will.

Last edited:
Or do what I and many others are doing: put a new 79 body on a modified 80 frame.

6E4D899B-B761-422C-9A14-80CEDFE1910E.jpeg

Or buy a kei truck for the farm- I LOVE my mini truck for the ranch. 25 years old and spotless- it’s got 19,000km on it and by far the coldest A/C of any vehicle I own.

F52A6753-CB27-4278-978A-3F78D2D1BC64.jpeg

I stared at that website many times before purchasing mine from a guy local to me. Look at all those dump beds!

The kei trucks are monsters. Some are available with lockers. If my life goals happen I will have one as a farm truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom