Importing a 70 for farm use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I saw these Suzuki trucks all over Cairo. Many of them had US license plates in the rear windows. Guess that's an Egyptian thing?

0F63CD10-8EB9-43F2-9384-2CE8F3207577.jpeg

I stared at that website many times before purchasing mine from a guy local to me. Look at all those dump beds
They told me they sold one with a man lift and outrigger supports to a Texan who planned to use it as a deer stand.

I have seen a few with scissor lifts!

No, Matt, I don’t go faster than 15mph loaded with hay! The Sambar’s majestic 46 horsepower is enough for me.

But I hear some Subaru’s came with a tiny supercharger....

Or do what I and many others are doing: put a new 79 body on a modified 80 frame.

View attachment 2375462

Or buy a kei truck for the farm- I LOVE my mini truck for the ranch. 25 years old and spotless- it’s got 19,000km on it and by far the coldest A/C of any vehicle I own.

View attachment 2375463
I owned a kei van in Japan and loved it. 6 speed manual with granny low,fun to drive, surprising room for cargo, and it cost me $8 a week for gas. Super easy to park and maneuver on all those narrow winding streets. I just never tailgated and maintained a safe follow distance. There is no "crush zone" to absorb a collision if you hit something.

I might be a little late to the party, but I’ve been exporting options and what seems like the only way to do it would be to fly down to South America, buy one and drive it back on the pan American highway....Then have your brother pick you up at the boarder in Texas and trailer it back home.

I happen to have a brother, a tow truck, and a trailer!

I might be a little late to the party, but I’ve been exporting options and what seems like the only way to do it would be to fly down to South America, buy one and drive it back on the pan American highway....Then have your brother pick you up at the boarder in Texas and trailer it back home.

I happen to have a brother, a tow truck, and a trailer!
It’s still not legal even for off road only use.

Don't do it.
VA is full of clowns who use the "farm use" bull5hit to run thier trash up and down the highway because it can't pass inspection can't be titled. Those of us who run legit farms get run into the ground by everything from the DMV/DOT to the state corporation commision when we use a legal F-450 with F tags on it to haul cattle and hay because clowns just want to run a FARMUSE placard they bought at tractor supply to drive on the roads.

Don't do it.
VA is full of clowns who use the "farm use" bull5hit to run thier trash up and down the highway because it can't pass inspection can't be titled. Those of us who run legit farms get run into the ground by everything from the DMV/DOT to the state corporation commision when we use a legal F-450 with F tags on it to haul cattle and hay because clowns just want to run a FARMUSE placard they bought at tractor supply to drive on the roads.
I met a guy this weekend at the Lone Star Toyota Jamboree that had a late model 80 from Central America….100% black market truck and it was rolling with an up to date state plate. This stuff is being done, and j get the feeling it’s not enforced.

I get what you are saying, and since I have an 80, probably won’t be bringing over a 76 now but I’m getting the feeling it’s easier than it seems on the surface .

Search out information on the forum, but if you do go around the law to do and get away with it, keep it to yourself. Don't share that or talk about it online...............Every state is different and alot of states you can get away with things..,Don't spotlight it.

Search out information on the forum, but if you do go around the law to do and get away with it, keep it to yourself. Don't share that or talk about it online...............Every state is different and alot of states you can get away with things..,Don't spotlight it.
What happens when there is an accident though? I get tempted to import something newer than 25 years old then I think about the possible accident issue.

Noted, That’s why I didn’t put specifics as to which state the truck was tagged and which country the truck came from.
In the case of this particular vehicle, it was titled and insured (at least that’s what I was told) so there wouldn’t be a problem. Mostly because the same vehicle existed in the states so it didn’t raise eyebrows. Had it been a truck never sold in the US, it probably wouldn’t have worked.

May be same truck but VIN will not be the same. I am sure a few here has non legal imports registered as a Tacoma or something like that. Especially those that post up pics of their cruiser with blurred out plates.

This stuff gets discussed ad nauseam all over ih8mud. Do it if you want, no one is stopping you and hasn’t seemed to stopped many others.

May be same truck but VIN will not be the same. I am sure a few here has non legal imports registered as a Tacoma or something like that. Especially those that post up pics of their cruiser with blurred out plates.

This stuff gets discussed ad nauseam all over ih8mud. Do it if you want, no one is stopping you and hasn’t seemed to stopped many others.
I think what these guys are saying is that yes it’s going on, but not to support it or promote it and that’s definitely the right approach.

I met a guy this weekend at the Lone Star Toyota Jamboree that had a late model 80 from Central America….100% black market truck and it was rolling with an up to date state plate. This stuff is being done, and j get the feeling it’s not enforced.

I get what you are saying, and since I have an 80, probably won’t be bringing over a 76 now but I’m getting the feeling it’s easier than it seems on the surface .
Unless it was a late manufacture 1996 or a 1997 it could have been imported legally. You imply that it wasn't but is that an assumption or did you confirm with him? Just curious.

Unless it was a late manufacture 1996 or a 1997 it could have been imported legally. You imply that it wasn't but is that an assumption or did you confirm with him? Just curious.

I think the 80 series production went past 1997 in some countries or a particular country in South America. Maybe I am wrong.

Edit: It appears that 80 series production extended past 1997 to 2008 in VZ as CKD kits shipped to VZ and assembled there according to online sources.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom