Builds Ikarus' HDJ81 Offroad Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I should do this.. Agreed on the factory sound deadening, I spent a whole day with some dry ice removing it from a track car. Never again. haha

How many square feet did you use for the whole cruiser?

Keeping in mind that I did full coverage + double layer in the center of the big panels (*all the panels*)... I would grab 4 packs (144 sq ft) of the deadener and that should be plenty to get you through the entire floor, all 4 doors, the rear panels, the tail gate, the wheel wells, and any other flat areas you decide to stick some.

For the foam, I think 100 sqft would be more than enough.... I used about 40 for the doors and sides

This is what I would order:
Amazon product ASIN B0751CBXBT
It looks like the Noico is NLA, not sure why:
Amazon product ASIN B07TKXCN6F

Keeping in mind that I did full coverage + double layer in the center of the big panels (*all the panels*)... I would grab 4 packs (144 sq ft) of the deadener and that should be plenty to get you through the entire floor, all 4 doors, the rear panels, the tail gate, the wheel wells, and any other flat areas you decide to stick some.

For the foam, I think 100 sqft would be more than enough.... I used about 40 for the doors and sides

This is what I would order:
Amazon product ASIN B0751CBXBT
It looks like the Noico is NLA, not sure why:
Amazon product ASIN B07TKXCN6F
Awesome, I appreciate it. That Noico stuff does look good. What I might do is get this all put back together and then do a big sound deadening project this winter to include doors sound deadening, window run and motor rebuilds and speaker upgrades

I know a guy with an upholstery shop so I took my carpet down there today -

zhz739q.jpg

Before:

9XZl19r.jpg

I started with the trunk/cargo area carpet. I traced an outline in a few areas to make adding the new carpet backing easier, then got to work.
The jute around the edges had already separated from the carpet and was easy to peel off.

dQ2QZS0.jpg

I was able to get the general shape of the jute off in one piece, but it left behind some sticking to the carpet.

cHjvoJy.jpg

It comes off easy enough but it's tedious and you have to scrape it off by hand.

5OnCPoy.jpg

giY9Xut.jpg

I'll be replacing it with some waterproof commercial carpet padding. It's more dense than the OEM jute - I'm interested to see if this alone dampens some noise.

dQ9xqqP.jpg

I then laid the jute on the new padding and traced a template.

VQx8d6m.jpg

bsBtS4P.jpg

pTIPbXk.jpg

Cut it out -

b2WbqFK.jpg

s17KKu0.jpg

TiV8va5.jpg

Trimmed in a couple places and it's good to go.

Aaa0xIL.jpg

Final step was to glue it on.

koBfytm.jpg

z23IXHD.jpg

NIDnLHm.jpg

Good to know. We'll see how these do. The size isn't too much smaller than OEM and if the tint isn't enough the panels will be easy to pull off and tint.

Yeah man I went down the sound deadening rabbit hole last week for probably 4 hours. I had a bunch of dynamat in the cart but gave up. Too many conflicting opinions about floors vs doors, heat turning the adhesive into goop, etc etc.

You've been happy with your setup?

It's absolutely worth doing IMO. The more the better. As in, the more panels you can get at least some deadening on, the better.

And now is the time to do it.

I posted some good install guides in a thread fairly recently. I'll see if I can find them

IME critical things are floor, as far up the firewall as you can, wheel arches, then at least some deadening on large flat panels like doors, ¼s, roof.

Do the sound insulation right, you also reduce heat transfer into the cab, and don't really need a separate carpet underlay

I know a guy with an upholstery shop so I took my carpet down there today -

zhz739q.jpg

Before:

9XZl19r.jpg

I started with the trunk/cargo area carpet. I traced an outline in a few areas to make adding the new carpet backing easier, then got to work.
The jute around the edges had already separated from the carpet and was easy to peel off.

dQ2QZS0.jpg

I was able to get the general shape of the jute off in one piece, but it left behind some sticking to the carpet.

cHjvoJy.jpg

It comes off easy enough but it's tedious and you have to scrape it off by hand.

5OnCPoy.jpg

giY9Xut.jpg

I'll be replacing it with some waterproof commercial carpet padding. It's more dense than the OEM jute - I'm interested to see if this alone dampens some noise.

dQ9xqqP.jpg

I then laid the jute on the new padding and traced a template.

VQx8d6m.jpg

bsBtS4P.jpg

pTIPbXk.jpg

Cut it out -

b2WbqFK.jpg

s17KKu0.jpg

TiV8va5.jpg

Trimmed in a couple places and it's good to go.

Aaa0xIL.jpg

Final step was to glue it on.

koBfytm.jpg

z23IXHD.jpg

NIDnLHm.jpg

You'll definitely get some deadening with that commercial underlay

Alright alright you got me back down the rabbit hole. I'm considering a layer of deadening/heat insulation then adding MLV just on the floor for now. Then roof down the road when I drop the headliner, and doors as mentioned previously. Maybe do one door at a time and redo everything from speakers to window runs to motors and deadening all at once.

Also I have a couple Australian product specific questions for you if you don't mind.

Door card replacements - have you seen Dept of the Interior door cards in person or know of anyone with them? They look quality

Under seat air compressor mount - I wanted to use the Scrub King engine bay mount for a compressor but it would mount right where my cruise control box goes so that's a no go. I can't find any other engine bay mounts, most are for LHD or 1FZ-FE so I was looking into an interior quarter panel mount. But then I noticed Scrub King has these under seat mounts:

Which might be a perfect use of space now that I've removed the rear heater. And I won't be running air lockers off of it, just airing up tires. Would probably keep the compressor cleaner and cooler than the engine bay too.

Anyway, know anyone running that setup?

Good to know. We'll see how these do. The size isn't too much smaller than OEM and if the tint isn't enough the panels will be easy to pull off and tint.

Yeah man I went down the sound deadening rabbit hole last week for probably 4 hours. I had a bunch of dynamat in the cart but gave up. Too many conflicting opinions about floors vs doors, heat turning the adhesive into goop, etc etc.

You've been happy with your setup?
I end up having to use the vehicle window tint on a roll from Amazon for more shade. I do the same when driving in a car or the LC, especially with the sun in the face.

Alright alright you got me back down the rabbit hole. I'm considering a layer of deadening/heat insulation then adding MLV just on the floor for now. Then roof down the road when I drop the headliner, and doors as mentioned previously. Maybe do one door at a time and redo everything from speakers to window runs to motors and deadening all at once.

Also I have a couple Australian product specific questions for you if you don't mind.

Door card replacements - have you seen Dept of the Interior door cards in person or know of anyone with them? They look quality

Under seat air compressor mount - I wanted to use the Scrub King engine bay mount for a compressor but it would mount right where my cruise control box goes so that's a no go. I can't find any other engine bay mounts, most are for LHD or 1FZ-FE so I was looking into an interior quarter panel mount. But then I noticed Scrub King has these under seat mounts:

Which might be a perfect use of space now that I've removed the rear heater. And I won't be running air lockers off of it, just airing up tires. Would probably keep the compressor cleaner and cooler than the engine bay too.

Anyway, know anyone running that setup?

Dept of the interior have been around for ever. They are not far from me.
I've not ordinal used their products but what ive seen seen well made.

No idea on the under seat air compressor mount. I mounted mine in the rear quarter panel.

Just want to jump to say, lovely 80 you have and incredible attention to detail here. Following along for inspiration. Having a 1hd-ft is the dream!

Just want to jump to say, lovely 80 you have and incredible attention to detail here. Following along for inspiration. Having a 1hd-ft is the dream!
Thanks man! I hope I'm not boring people. I grew up loving cars but didn't touch a wrench til I was in my 20s so I'm just trying to put out the kind of info that I would have loved to have as a visual learner when I was starting to figure stuff out.

Small steps toward getting this thing running again. Shifter refurbished.

eTEtL6s.jpg

The new shifter is a poly rubber kinda deal. The leather feels higher quality but obviously it's pretty degraded. I'll hang onto it just in case I feel like pulling the leather off one day and replicating the pattern for a new cover.

1nesxNF.jpg

I used these instructions here and it made it easy:

I marked the wires going into the blue plug for the O/D button before I unpinned them.

5rTNIwj.jpg

Buttoned it all up with some new white lithium grease. I'll install it once the shift bushings show up.

yGAacZq.jpg

I’ve got the Rosen visors in my truck. One of my favorite mods.
Curious to hear about your sound deadening/door card project as that’s on my list next.

Where did you find the shifter “control plate”? I need a new one as the backing is disintegratin. I have looked everywhere (Amayama

Sorry, got cut off….
I have looked around Partsouq, Amayama, and various places here in the US.
I found it on Amayama:

I can't remember if our transmissions are the same though. Does yours have "PRND2L" or "PRND32L" ?

Mine is the “PRND32L” which might be the problem. I will keep looking. It’s a pretty obscure part.
I found it on Amayama:

I can't remember if our transmissions are the same though. Does yours have "PRND2L" or "PRND32L" ?

Mine is the “PRND32L” which might be the problem. I will keep looking. It’s a pretty obscure part.
Ah yeah.

If you can't find it on Amayama or Megazip you could hit up Dave at Japan4x4:
stedman@japan4x4.com

And worst case if you really want to redo it, on mine at least, the numbers/letters look like a sticker. Might be able to peel it off and have a graphic designer make a new sticker

I just caught that Diver-1 in that shot... is there a fellow watch nerd among us....
Haha dude I wish I had the money to fully embrace my inner watch nerd. But yeah, this one is actually serial number 89 from a few years back. I did some work for Matt when he was starting Ares. He's a big cruiserhead himself, I believe he has a 60 series and maybe another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom