If you're using a WIX oil filter read this (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

(they actually offered me a few free filters!! I had to laugh!! Who would be crazy enough to continue using their filters under the circumstances!??!?)

Because it feels good when you stop?:rofl:

The motor I pulled out of my 80 had orange rubber clogging multiple oil passages and I even opened part of the motor with the rep and they still pretty much say it wasn't their filter that caused an issue.

The motor I pulled out of my 80 had orange rubber clogging multiple oil passages and I even opened part of the motor with the rep and they still pretty much say it wasn't their filter that caused an issue.

and I wouldn't expect them to admit to anything, if they say that their filter caused an issue with one motor it opens up the flood gates for claims of other engine failures regardless of wither the filter was the cause or not.

from the pics it does look like chunks of filter but its also hard to prove when those chunks got into the engine and from what filter.

I had a Wix 51515XP in my drawer of potential oil filters. I took a quick look at it. It has an orange anti drainback flapper inside the inlet holes. Out of curiosity, I poked it with my little punch. It was sort of "stuck" and required a bit of effort to open it. As if the orange (silicone?) disk was stuck to the metal filter body. It moved freely after I loosened it. I pressed my punch at each of the holes, and each one had resistance and a definite "tick" when it released. A second push on each required no effort to move it again.
I don't know if this would have caused engine failure, but I can see where low pressure may not have been able to overcome the stuck flapper, especially with a known "low oil pressure at idle" engine.
I'm glad I didn't use this filter.
Thanks to whoever posted the link to epay. I bought 5 filters/gaskets and they came from a toyota dealer in FL.

View attachment 1635765 View attachment 1635766 View attachment 1635767

I had a brand new 51515 (had because I just threw it away) with the same issue regarding the orange valve. It is stuck. I pressed relatively hard on it and it would not budge.

So that valve is supposed to move easily up/down?

Going to the dealer tomorrow for Toyota spec filter.

OP, really sorry to read your troubles, man that sucks.

+1 use OEM or Toyota Filter.

On my Porsche, we did a little un-scientific test of the NAPA GOLD made by WIX. Specs stated it filtered at smaller microns of debris. One would one think GREAT, but nope it would clog up the filter sooner and slow the flow to the engine. This was evident as my engine got hotter using the same oil and weight.

Went back to Mahle Filter ( OEM ) and used Porsche when it is on sale ( rarely ), temps went right back to normal operating temps.

On the LX450, ES300 and Prius I only use Toyota filters

Recently my friend had VTEC issues due to the cheap filter the Oil Change Shop used, no valve on that filter, WTD??? Lucky the Honda stopped itself and car was towed but it cost them $1400 in repairs to replace the damaged VTEC Valve and Sensor. Needless to say they will never go to that shop again.

Last edited:
So that valve is supposed to move easily up/down?

It's just a rubber flap. On mine, it stuck the first time I pressed it, then it felt free. If I left it sitting a couple days, it got sticky again, for the first press only though. Repeated this a couple times and pitched the POS.

Does the 1FZ-FE not have an internal bypass valve in the block? On most bigger diesel engines and engines my company designs we run a ~50psi bypass valve in the filter head so even if the filter is clogged or blocked the valve will open and the engine will get oil. Non filtered oil at that point, but its better than no oil.

WIX Filter failed on my son's 97 this past weekend. Part number 51348. Filter had roughly 2k miles on it. I jumped in his truck a couple of days ago to move it and noticed the oil pressure lower than normal and heard the knock. 1st thing I ddi was grab a new toyota filter and installed. Oil pressure climbed back up to normal range (according to the gauge). Bad thing about this is I caught it too late. I am pretty sure the engine has a spun bearing or something going on in the lower end. I have the WIX fliter in a ziplock and have contacted WIX... and my attorney.

Any ideas on the best place to source a Long Block?

I will keep thread updated...

Josh

WIX Filter failed on my son's 97 this past weekend. Part number 51348. Filter had roughly 2k miles on it. I jumped in his truck a couple of days ago to move it and noticed the oil pressure lower than normal and heard the knock. 1st thing I ddi was grab a new toyota filter and installed. Oil pressure climbed back up to normal range (according to the gauge). Bad thing about this is I caught it too late. I am pretty sure the engine has a spun bearing or something going on in the lower end. I have the WIX fliter in a ziplock and have contacted WIX... and my attorney.

Any ideas on the best place to source a Long Block?

I will keep thread updated...

Josh
Good luck. MAKE SURE they file it as a claim not a filter evaluation. They filed mine wrong, as an evaluation, said the filter had issues, but since it wasn't submitted BY THEIR REP properly I was SOL. I'd Highly recommend asking them to open it in front of you. Once it's in their hands it is their word vs yours .

I had a interesting experience when I changed my oil last week using a Napa brand gold filter. When I removed the filter there was no oil in it the drain back valve must have been stuck. I guess I got lucky. I did not notice a change in my oil pressure during the time i used the filter but never the less I’m back with OEM filters.

After the WIX issues I switched to the little Toyota OEM filters and have been happy with the results. They are only $8 on Amazon so I throw one in the cart when I'm buying other items.

If I had the WIX filter failure I'd reach out to an attorney and show them the warranty, records, etc and see what it would take to have it honored. Don't remove or do anything with it yet as you may need to prove it was installed on this vehicle etc, and there's likely a proper way to document this.

I had a interesting experience when I changed my oil last week using a Napa brand gold filter. When I removed the filter there was no oil in it the drain back valve must have been stuck. I guess I got lucky. I did not notice a change in my oil pressure during the time i used the filter but never the less I’m back with OEM filters.

VERY LUCKY... Same thing happened to me. Unscrewed the filter and there was hardly any oil in it. I have always had a mess when I unscrewed filters on the 1FZ-FE.

So, the current Napa gold filters #1515 say mann+Hummel and made in USA on them. Are these the potential culprits as well? I "tested" the plastic valve in mine, and it moves freely. I guess I will order some Toyota ones, just in case.

So, the current Napa gold filters #1515 say mann+Hummel and made in USA on them. Are these the potential culprits as well? I "tested" the plastic valve in mine, and it moves freely. I guess I will order some Toyota ones, just in case.
Mann+Hummel produces for wix or owns em can't remember.

I was a loyal WIX customer for a long time but after hearing about these issues it freaked me out enough to switch over to the Toyota filters.

Another oil change with this can today

F6E1B517-CF25-4661-B63D-C47B1449D111.jpeg

After the WIX issues I switched to the little Toyota OEM filters and have been happy with the results. They are only $8 on Amazon so I throw one in the cart when I'm buying other items.

If I had the WIX filter failure I'd reach out to an attorney and show them the warranty, records, etc and see what it would take to have it honored. Don't remove or do anything with it yet as you may need to prove it was installed on this vehicle etc, and there's likely a proper way to document this.

You do know that the MSRP on that filter is $5.41?

Amazes me sometimes how people get away with s*** like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom