If I was to start all over again, I would...(100 series version) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thread revival. I wouldn't have been so hesitant with an older 100 with lots of miles. I have a second 2001 with over 230,000 miles and it runs as good as my other one with 106,000. Now, of course, it was meticulously maintained by the previous owner, so that certainly helps. But the lack of rust and clear amount of maintenance done has kept it running in tip-top shape. Can't wait to get to 500,000 miles with her!

I also concur on the SAS option up front. I haven't done any major suspension mods as I knew where I wanted to be at the end. Spend time with driving the 100 and seriously considering your uses of it before plunking down the cash on big mods!

I would hold out buying to find one with low miles and good maintenance records... I plan on keeping mine with high miles but I thought it was going to be a 2-3 year commitment, now I am in love with the thing.

I'd look at models with the 4 pinion front diff, what is that 2002+?

A solid axle swap of the front suspension system

I would have bought newer with less miles. Bumpers, tires, racks, suspension and tent all cost the same and are pretty significant to put on a lower priced vehicle.

Who does SAS? Slee? Are there kits? 80 series axles won't work is my understanding?
Most 100 SAS Ive seen use 80 axles. Slee has done one, @duggy 's rig is SASd, theres a new guy that has been posting about his SASd LX.

Who does SAS? Slee? Are there kits? 80 series axles won't work is my understanding?

Slee can do it, but be prepared to sell organs (like you could almost buy a 200 series kinda money). I'm willing to bet the IFS 100 could handle 99% of what a comparable SAS 100 can do. The SAS comes into its own when monster tires and big lifts are thrown on. There are cheaper ways to improve the 100's capability (i.e. lockers, 2.5" OME, 33's) that will get you almost anywhere. Just my 2¢. But I, and probably all of MUD, love drooling over SAS 100's anyways :D .......DO IT!!!!!

Personally, I would have purchased an 80 series for fun, and saved for a 200 for the overland build. Guess I'm now saving up for a 300 series?? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd probably bought a lower mileage one, although at 210,000 my 01 is exactly what I wanted, and has been very well maintained and documented and is rust free and reading mileage projections from others makes me feel better about mine. But when I bought it I had no idea I would love it as much as I do. I had a list of mods I hoped to have done in my first year, and 5 months in and I am only waiting on my back ordered rear bumper to complete that list , I wish I could drive this 10 years but honestly the mileage worries me over a long time period .

Last edited:
Slee can do it, but be prepared to sell organs (like you could almost buy a 200 series kinda money). I'm willing to bet the IFS 100 could handle 99% of what a comparable SAS 100 can do. The SAS comes into its own when monster tires and big lifts are thrown on. There are cheaper ways to improve the 100's capability (i.e. lockers, 2.5" OME, 33's) that will get you almost anywhere. Just my 2¢. But I, and probably all of MUD, love drooling over SAS 100's anyways :D .......DO IT!!!!!

Personally, I would have purchased an 80 series for fun, and saved for a 200 for the overland build. Guess I'm now saving up for a 300 series?? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This might be true, but you'd be going through ball joints and power steering racks every trip if you tried to follow an 80 :hillbilly:

#1: Replaced the OEM plastic tee's with brass ones the second I brought it home
#2: Applied more sound deadening material every place I could possibly reach (not just sporadically)
#3: I would have avoided that concrete pole I backed into a couple years back:bang:

If you guys want an SAS then you should of bought an 80.:flipoff2: A SAS 100 will never wheel as good as an 80. Flame suit on The relationship of the 100 body and frame does not provide the same clearances making the 80 superior.:flipoff2:

I have been lucky enough to own a few 100/LX and currently have a 06 LX100 that is quiet, smooth, good power, looks clean, and mostly wife approved for anywhere. I have more modding to do but Im on my way.

I will never have a SAS 100 because if I want an 80 ride Ill buy an 80 and go everywhere that SAS 100 cant go. :rofl:

Bought one with stock 16's so I didn't have to mess around and spend a boat load of money trying to get decent tire/rim combo (could also have just done more research up front on that).

If you guys want an SAS then you should of bought an 80.:flipoff2: A SAS 100 will never wheel as good as an 80. Flame suit on The relationship of the 100 body and frame does not provide the same clearances making the 80 superior.:flipoff2:

I have been lucky enough to own a few 100/LX and currently have a 06 LX100 that is quiet, smooth, good power, looks clean, and mostly wife approved for anywhere. I have more modding to do but Im on my way.

I will never have a SAS 100 because if I want an 80 ride Ill buy an 80 and go everywhere that SAS 100 cant go. :rofl:

:flipoff2: :hillbilly:

1. Would have found this forum before I bought.
2. Because of finding this forum, I would have been more concerned about rust. This southern boy had no idea.
3. Might have favored an LC over an LX. Had to replace the AHC pump within the first month (thanks again, PADDO).
4. Might have sourced one without the nav system. Although it has presented no problems, I think I'd prefer knobs to touchscreen.

I would have searched for one that came with a master key.....and good seat leather.

I would have bought the reasonably clean LX470 with new front end bits, 252K miles, and good leather that I saw for $5500 instead of buying my 2000 LC that needed front end/steering work, but paid $4K more for because it had 'low miles' at 116K.... Only then to find out the LC odometer was changed fraudulently (and that I was only able to figure out well after I bought it) and the TB that the previous owner claimed to do, wasn't done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom