If I was to start all over again, I would...(100 series version) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wish I would've bought one with better paint, my clearcoat is all gone and to respray it will set me back a few Gs. Good thing we don't have kids yet, so a paintjob is in the next couple of weeks.

If iI were going back in time, I would have bought a 100 in 2007 rather than in 2014.

I'd change nothing about my build.
Except that I would avoid a northern vehicle. The rust you guys deal with SUCKS!

This is more of a ‘lessons learned’ of the upgrade process thread for me. My learning curve was pretty steep, I’d never owned an SUV and just wasn’t mentally ready to commit to big, sweeping changes. I tried the Toyota approach of small, incremental changes. In retrospect, that’s stupid, I should have done as many things as possible at once, just to save time. Bottom Line, I would have tried to do a handful of minor, inexpensive things in one fell swoop, early on, rather than trying to parcel it out because of my labor availability.

Example:

1. Replacing Heater Hose T’s
2. PFran LED’s
3. Floor Mat Replacement
4. Front window tint
5. Rust Prevention
6. Speaker Replacement across the board. All the speakers are lame.
7. I would have used Mass Loaded Vinyl to do sound deadening.
8. I would have done a full tear out of the audio system from the head unit all the way to the rear speakers. Note, I have a 2000 model, later LC’s probably don’t need to worry about this. I saw this because it’s difficult to an amp upgrade without improving the quality of the wiring. The current wiring is pretty cheap for the older LC’s.
9. I would have gutted and yanked the rear carpet first.
10. I would have ordered new seats for front and back from LSeat.
11. Sliders
12. Roof Rack
13. Improved front light bulbs.

Psychologically, most of us like to kick the tires on our upgrades. That’s understandable, but the advice that’s commonly accepted on the issues I’m listing is very reliable on this site.. My advice to any new owner is to make as long a list as is possible, order parts en masse and then try to knock it out in as short a time as possible. Within budget constraints, sure. But point being, the faster you get things done, the more you’ll appreciate it and you’ll save your own time.

Last edited:
I'd have a mechanic check it out for me. I finally could afford it when we sold our house, and we were just then headed off on a summer road trip. I was in such a rush to jump on a local one that looked decent I didn't do my due diligence. I paid more than I should have too, thinking, 'at least I know it's a good truck.'

I got it from a Lexus dealership in May and the salesman told me, 'it's a good solid truck, in great shape!' The PO had been servicing it at that same dealer and both carfax and Lexus showed regular oil changes. Rust was minimal. *It had been detailed immaculately, inside & out, including engine bay*

Changed all the fluids a couple weeks later and they all looked real ugly.

Turns out:
- Charcoal canister was shot (dealer must have reset the code)
- steering rack was blown
- water pump was starting to leak
- there was dye in the front diff fluid
- now the diff might be blown (7k miles later)

We've learned all this gradually and dealt with it while traveling across country, topping up coolant along the way.

Every time something comes up my wife wants to get rid of it, but now we've dumped so much into it .... I keep trying to convince her, 'Once we get this fixed it'll be a great truck and run forever!' It gets harder every time.

I assume someone added it to track a previous leak but it never got flushed out all the way, maybe they reused the fluid? The mechanic told me about it when my diff started leaking and grinding. (Blown axle seal) They said PO must have had an issue with it that never got resolved.

Zero regrets! Best rig EVER.

You could always bedline it.

Not a fan of that look, I am going to repaint the LC in Starfire Pearl (077) . Starting to repair little dings and rust spots.

I would the buy newest low-mile truck available and enjoy it more. I have a nice looking south Florida '99 with no rust that had regular dealer service before I bought it. Fluids had been changed. The starter was new as were brake pads. Two owners.

Miles and years are catching up too quick. From nitpicking stuff that can be ignored to brake failure, leaking axle seals theres always something. Didn't expect perfection but d@mn. $$$$$

It's a love/hate thing for the past three years.

Haven't had it long enough to play along... happy with it for now... if I could afford it I would do an SAS first but i'm going to have to learn the hard way ;)

When I bought my 1999 LC, it was in 2006, so it was seven years old at the time, and had 52k miles. It was my first SUV, having been a sports car guy my whole life. Fast forward 11 years, and I still have the same rig, only now she has 337k miles on her. She's been as reliable as the sun rise for the most part, and will take me anywhere I have ever needed to go so far. I do need a brake master cylinder right now, but can't complain about that.

So my thing I would do differently is if I had known LCs were this awesome, I would have bought one sooner.

I would have regeared at the same time that I had a front ARB locker installed. I ended up regearing to 4:88 6 months later. Could have saved myself 5-700 in Labor? Also Would have looked harder for a white one. I love the look of my black LC, but to keep a big car like that clean is a real bitch! and it doesn't fit in my garage

Any updates from those members who have Built their 100s for those of us who have stock 100s?
What would you do differently? What would you have done first or t the same time as another mod?

I should’ve gone 305/65/18 instead of the traditional 275/70/18. 305 looks mean from the rear, esp with aggressive offset wheels.

I would pin stripe it the day I drove it off the lot! (bought it new)

Would have spent way more time off road if I could have. Other than that, it's been a pretty good progression.

I have had 4 '99s.

1 2000 (had for 10 years and 150k miles) - best vehicle I have ever owned.

And a 2004.

I would buy one already built.

Beyond that, I would add DT headers asap as they really help.

And if that lotto ticket hits, I would add a Toyota 5 speed manual transmission.

I agree! I had a cracked passenger side exhaust manifold that didn't show itself until I had the truck for a month. Tried living with it but it irritated me so bad I paid to have it replaced. That was an unpleasant surprise right after I had the timing belt changed.
Same here - it didn't tick when I bought the truck, but I bought it out of town and towed my other car behind it - of course it popped up after 2 hours of towing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom