If I bought another... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’m doing my usual craigslist browsing and a 40 comes up that catches my eye. It has a lot going for it, except the respray. It’s not perfect, but I couldn't afford it was pretty. My problem is I’m up to my man teats in my current build. The 40 on hand won’t be done for a while, so I’d be moth balling the new thing. It has rust across the rear sill and rockers, probably more. I live in a dry climate, so it would have that going for it.
If I bought it, would it be worth cutting the offending areas out to stop the spread? Or am I over thinking it? All I’ve seen are the online photos, so that’s all I’m asking about now. Don’t know if I’d buy it, but I’m not sure what to do if I did.

I wouldn't touch it until you're ready to work on it. If you're desperate to prevent further rust, then flake off any loose tar rustproofing or flaky paint (where there is rust popping through), and spray on some Cosmoline, grease, etc. If you're parking it outside, the most critical thing is keeping water from leaking in and pooling on the floor or in the rain gutters. Either tarp it well (letting air circulate underneath the truck) or park it inside. If you're talking 6 months, don't sweat it - if you're talking 2 years, then be more preventative-minded.

I'd leave and treat with POR 15 to
Prevent further decay... till I'm ready.

(Disclaimer: written by an MVS addict) It's kind of like having kids: if you wait until you're ready, you'll never have them.

If you think it's a good deal, the cruiser market doesn't seem to be getting any cooler. In a dry climate, you could just knock out the loose rust and put motor oil on the rest and it would be stabilized until you 'got around to it'. I did this to my floorboards in Ruftoys in 1985; they've never gotten any worse, and I've never done anything else about repairing them.

just buy it already !

:cheers:

Simple solution: I've found if you procrastinate long enough, someone else will buy it and you can stop procrastinating. Problem solved. Hey, I didn't say easy, I said simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom