Idle Speed Control (IAC) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was considering cleaning my IAC valve (part# 22270-66011)due to a slight idle fluctuation/miss, but before touching it was thinking there must be a gasket that goes behind the valve and I can't seem to find one listed anywhere. Is there a gasket? Anyone know the part#? I won't mess with the IAC until all other potential issues are considered first, but figured it would be a good idea to figure this out now just in case I need to take it off.

Not much to clean on the valve itself, the plunger can get a layer of varnish/carbon on it (which won't seal well if there's a build up). That can be wiped off with paper towels wetted with a solvent but I wouldn't go crazy spraying a strong solvent on the shaft or into the housing, that may damage the seals and internal components. If the shaft is dirty maybe a couple of short sprays using CRC Quick Dry Electronics cleaner, that's about all IMHO.

IMO the area to focus your cleaning on is the port the IAC valve is mounted to, where the plunger seats can get a build up of crud, but also deep in the port you can get varnish/carbon.

FWIW and IME it's easier to clean the TB (completely) by taking it off the vehicle and when you're all done relube the axle shaft for the butterfly valve using a high quality synthetic oil (because it's less likely to gum up). I don't use silicone on that, but I've used dielectric grease (which is thick silicone) on the new O-ring (gasket) for the IAC valve when installing it, but not required.

You can also use the QD Electronics cleaner (or Contact cleaner) to clean off the contacts of the IAC valve and the harness.

Not much to clean on the valve itself, the plunger can get a layer of varnish/carbon on it (which won't seal well if there's a build up). That can be wiped off with paper towels wetted with a solvent but I wouldn't go crazy spraying a strong solvent on the shaft or into the housing, that may damage the seals and internal components. If the shaft is dirty maybe a couple of short sprays using CRC Quick Dry Electronics cleaner, that's about all IMHO.

IMO the area to focus your cleaning on is the port the IAC valve is mounted to, where the plunger seats can get a build up of crud, but also deep in the port you can get varnish/carbon.

FWIW and IME it's easier to clean the TB (completely) by taking it off the vehicle and when you're all done relube the axle shaft for the butterfly valve using a high quality synthetic oil (because it's less likely to gum up). I don't use silicone on that, but I've used dielectric grease (which is thick silicone) on the new O-ring (gasket) for the IAC valve when installing it, but not required.

You can also use the QD Electronics cleaner (or Contact cleaner) to clean off the contacts of the IAC valve and the harness.
Thanks, yeah, I already had the TB off and cleaned it, but like a dummy forgot to consider the IAC at the time. I probably will not mess with the IAC for now as my idle issues are so tiny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom