Identifying 2H engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Excellent info all. rosco do you have any idea until what year the dynas and coasters with 2H were produced? This question is not about the particular engine in question but to get knowledge about the last year of 2H manufacture.

The last years would most likely be between 1990 and 92. As I mentioned in the PM I sent, countries in developing nations may get the old engine for a year or 2 longer. Many countries got the 1HZ in 90 which replaced the 2H.
It seems the 2H was used in the Coaster until 89.
I cant find a 2H powered Dyna, only H powered until 1980. But I thought there was a 2H Dyna..

Do you know much about the 1HZ?

Also, differences between early sleeved and timing cover is the oil cooler and oil filter housing, a different block. The early had the oil centrifuge spinner (which is a dam shame they got rid of, how many engines in history came with a spinner from factory?!), the oil line to the injector pump is a different configuration due to having a different oil filter housing. These are not interchangeable.

The rocker cover a little different too, but looks interchangeable with later.

Wonder if the injector pumps were interchangeable? The fuel lines are essentially the same, just different shape ferrules. But I believe injector nozzles were also different early to late?

I am finding the 2h a some what romantic engine. Sure it is slow, under powered, but gosh reliable and ultra simple. Very nice note, still fairly economical on the hwy compared to modern engines. I even meet folks choosing the 2h over the hz due to the timing cogs, which would last close to forever. Set and forget.

The water pump and housing combos are also different. I went through the exercise of changing mine out for the latter version since parts availability for an early water pump is almost impossible to source here in the U.S.

20211016_112531.jpg

Last edited:
I have a H engine and I will say parts are harder to find than the 2H. I looked for a H starter what seemed forever. At the end I bought components here in the USA that fit a Cummings starter unbeknownst to me. The person whom sold me the parts asked if I rebuilding a Cummings starter and i said no. Anyhow, I got the part numbers from an Australian website and he crossed over them to whatever product line he was selling. I was a happy camper to say the least. I will say the 2H starter is definitely not the same as a H one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom