I turn the wheel right, but the rig goes left??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not sure where the anti-welding comes from and why DOT thinks welds are no good. Yes, it depends on welding skills. Anyway, I would weld on the shaft all day if I needed to. The main engine nozzles of the space shuttle were welded together from about 60 parts. I know, I helped build them. HP steam piping in nuclear reactors are welded, too. Welds are a good way to join metal. If you don't think so, stay out of steel framed buildings.

OP, glad you're getting it worked out.

Not fer nothin, and just sayin, but didn't they have some problems with the shuttles ??? I know, it wasn't the welds, couldn't resist tho.

Ahh! I see your dictionary works, that’s good, that indicates progress. Maybe both of us have learned something through this little venture. It takes courage to admit your failures and open yourself up to criticism and not buckle under. The question to ask yourself now is whether or not you want to offer positive critiques? Your choice will determine how others perceive your character and respond to you. Again, we lead by example. Admitting the weld was bad and my own fault should have been enough.

In truth I have to agree with you about my metal burining abilities, but then again I never advertised myself as being a professional welder or even being semi-proficient at the trade. In fact, I even professed quite the opposite, again opening myself up to criticism. Sir, you have therefore again revealed your impeccable skills at observation and logical deduction. Impressive.

Peesalot, Bikersmurf, and Pighead are correct and I agree. I’m now moving on to other more productive ventures. Thank you for your time, it’s been a pleasure communicating with you.

My friend, I leave you with this piece of advice and a question to ask yourself:

Never wrestle with a pig. You’ll only get dirty but the pig will enjoy it.

Are you enjoying it?
And yet still no pix of the weld...stand and deliver or sit down and shut up.

And yet still no pix of the weld...stand and deliver or sit down and shut up.
And open myself up to more of your lovely expositions? I think not, kind sir. Although I may be inclined to make short-sighted errors from time to time, but I'm no fool. It broke because my weld failed, and my admittance of inadequacies in that regard are enough. I was taught the men give credit and take responsibility. I don't need to be ridiculed further by someone of your obvious caliber and character. I do believe that you need to listen to your own words, think about how you're handling this gentlemanly situation and how you're accepting my acceptance of my mistake. Now, where is it that you stand in this, and are you enjoying it?

Not sure where the anti-welding comes from and why DOT thinks welds are no good. Yes, it depends on welding skills. Anyway, I would weld on the shaft all day if I needed to. The main engine nozzles of the space shuttle were welded together from about 60 parts. I know, I helped build them. HP steam piping in nuclear reactors are welded, too. Welds are a good way to join metal. If you don't think so, stay out of steel framed buildings.

OP, glad you're getting it worked out.
Thank you for the well wishes. An appropriate repair is in the works. Maybe I get a chance to post some pictures of the repair that age appropriate individuals won't criticize negatively.

And open myself up to more of your lovely expositions? I think not, kind sir. Although I may be inclined to make short-sighted errors from time to time, but I'm no fool. It broke because my weld failed, and my admittance of inadequacies in that regard are enough. I was taught the men give credit and take responsibility. I don't need to be ridiculed further by someone of your obvious caliber and character. I do believe that you need to listen to your own words, think about how you're handling this gentlemanly situation and how you're accepting my acceptance of my mistake. Now, where is it that you stand in this, and are you enjoying it?
yes, now iam enjoying this...i want to see this weld....that you looked at, and "made this calculated judgement ass-u-ming all the inherent risks" then determined that it was good to go.

Alot of bashing and no pics of said welds. OP clearly gets it, maybe try and improve the content instead of bashing each other. PM each other with the negative comments, have a wonderful day and don't put a rig with questionable/improper/failing steering on the road where it could kill, period. That said lets all remember anything can break at anytime. If the OP is inclined, pics of the temp fix that failed please.... ?
Would love to post pics, if I had them. The box was already disassembled and parts worked on before requests were made. Plus, I figure my admission of guilt was enough. I wasn't asking for help in repairing it, I was asking for assistance finding a replacement part.
If you must know, the failure was a few inches above the "worm" just inside the collar of the cast box. There's a u-bolt on mine where the tube connects to the box, the break was in there. Previous owner apparently experienced the original fracture and had attempted a weld, then ground it down to fit within the inner diameter of the opening. That previous weld failed. I had ground out the bad weld, and attempted to increase the area of the penetration. I'm no metallurgist, but I'm assuming it's hardened steel as my final weld had not enough penetration, obviously.

yes, now iam enjoying this...i want to see this weld....that you looked at, and "made this calculated judgement ass-u-ming all the inherent risks" then determined that it was good to go.
And yet again your depth of character is profoundly revealed and you don't see it... I doubt even your ankles are moist.
Since you insist upon attempting to further make me a fool, imagine this: Turn your welder down too low, then run a bead on hardened steel. Make a mental note of it and never do it again. Basic welding 101, yes I took that course and I passed.
Now, cough up one of your big mistakes. Put up or shut up. Failing to do so merely proves my previous adjective.

i actually assumed you went after it too hot.....cold lapping and calling it good is even worse.
i'm not nearly as polished as you, but at least im not blind.

i actually assumed you went after it too hot.....cold lapping and calling it good is even worse.
i'm not nearly as polished as you, but at least im not blind.
Well, son. I appreciate your compliment, and I'll admit the hind-sight is 20-20. However, regarding your ability to see, in your persistence to reach an immaterial and worthless goal you've revealed why your wife left you and your kids and the dog don't come around. I've exposed my mistake at your continued beckoning just to satisfy your bully desires. I've also called you out as well. We're all still waiting...

If there's not gonna be carnage pics, you might as well move this to chat...

If there's not gonna be carnage pics, you might as well move this to chat...
I'm chuckling here, surprised that the admins haven't yet pulled pulled us over for reckless driving! No worries, I just think that one good turn deserves another and I don't like to be bullied.

Well, son. I appreciate your compliment, and I'll admit the hind-sight is 20-20. However, regarding your ability to see, in your persistence to reach an immaterial and worthless goal you've revealed why your wife left you and your kids and the dog don't come around. I've exposed my mistake at your continued beckoning just to satisfy your bully desires. I've also called you out as well. We're all still waiting...
i dont make mistakes anywhere near this caliber......the biggest ive made is giving my bil a free car.

Hey guys, Brian doesnt make mistakes and if he does they are simple ones apparently.
FWIW I remember an episode of UA where they welded new teeth onto a busted sector shaft.
OP carry on, Brian, let it go, you seem very pent up about nothin, this wouldnt be headed for chat if you, Brian, could have managed to leave the drama in your head.

Not fer nothin, and just sayin, but didn't they have some problems with the shuttles ??? I know, it wasn't the welds, couldn't resist tho.
Ceramic tiles and O-rings. 😘

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom