I turn the wheel right, but the rig goes left??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
...because my steering shaft broke again under stress and I was sideways on a slope. My lack luster welding skills have proven their less than spectacular abilities earlier today. Nobody got hurt, and with the help of a friend was able to tow it home.

Anyone know where I can score a steering shaft for a '64 Fj40? I believe it's 36 spline, I'll be disassembling again tomorrow and counting for certain.

Shaft in the column is thirty six spline up to 7/69. The shaft is part of the steering box up to 9/72. Do you have stock steering or modified steering?

Shaft in the column is thirty six spline up to 7/69. The shaft is part of the steering box up to 9/72. Do you have stock steering or modified steering?
It's all stock, to the best of my knowledge. All manual, no power steering. All the existing parts match the manuals and diagrams that I can find, so I'm continuing to assume it's all stock oem.

There’s a reason the DOT doesn’t allow welds on steering shafts. I’m not saying it cannot be done safely… but welds on a steering shaft are potentially a week spot. I’m glad everything was ok.

I’d track down a new shaft, or convert to P/S and eliminate the shaft in favour of a newer style.

wow, that is an astonishing level of fail....to know that you cant weld, but goes about it anyway on a critical component.
Thank you very much for the vote of confidence, sir. I had hoped that my self-deprecating comment would appropriately camouflage my arrogance and allow others to learn from my experiences. I've found that pointing out someone's obvious and self-admitted mistakes tends to make them reluctant to continue, at all. So once again, I thank you for strong words of encouragement, may the sagacity of your comment be passed on to the next observer...

There’s a reason the DOT doesn’t allow welds on steering shafts. I’m not saying it cannot be done safely… but welds on a steering shaft are potentially a week spot. I’m glad everything was ok.

I’d track down a new shaft, or convert to P/S and eliminate the shaft in favour of a newer style.
Yeppers, I do agree. It wasn't done without evaluating the risk first.

We’ve all done things at some point in our lives that weren’t the wisest. The OP wants others to learn from his mistake.

Thank you very much for the vote of confidence, sir. I had hoped that my self-deprecating comment would appropriately camouflage my arrogance and allow others to learn from my experiences. I've found that pointing out someone's obvious and self-admitted mistakes tends to make them reluctant to continue, at all. So once again, I thank you for strong words of encouragement, may the sagacity of your comment be passed on to the next observer...
so you're viewing this as just a casual oops?.....on a trailer/towed trail only truck, sure, i would totally agree....however, it sounds like this is a street legal cruiser....in which case you deserve any and all s*** talk directed your way pertaining to this matter.

in which case you deserve any and all s*** talk directed your way pertaining to this matter.
I'm thinking OP has learned his lesson and probably won't do that again. Additional poop piled on, no matter how richly deserved, is not helpful.
Pics of the broken shaft and awful welds may be though...

Last edited:
To anyone else reading this thread… never weld the steering shaft on a street driven rig. There’s a reason the department of transportation won’t pass your rig if they are aware of it. It’s just not worth the risk IMHO

If you’re a certified and very experienced welder, yes it can be done and you will likely get away with it… but I wouldn’t on my rig.

If someone dies as a result, you’ll likely go to jail and your insurance will be void. Is it worth it to you? Certainly not to me.

Grinding flats on a 3/4” shaft to make it DD was super easy. Do it the right way or don’t do it at all.

so you're viewing this as just a casual oops?.....on a trailer/towed trail only truck, sure, i would totally agree....however, it sounds like this is a street legal cruiser....in which case you deserve any and all s*** talk directed your way pertaining to this matter.
"Casual Oops?" Most certainly not, street or trail rig, it doesn't matter. The potential loss of control is not worth the potential price of another's life, much less your own and I shouldn't have done it. I do and have admitted that. I was mere drawing a attention to the "positive vibe" of this forum where a person can feel confident in admitting mistakes (novice or expert) and asking "dumb questions" without fear of degradation, as mentioned in one of the stickies for noobs. Obviously, you missed that.

I, kind sir, am no rookie and made this calculated judgement ass-u-ming all the inherent risks associated with the futile attempt to salvage a rare part. I wrote my post in such a manner as to not be condescending or overtly pompous and thereby increase it's potential viewing by others with similar intent. Again, you obviously missed that.

Was I in serious error when I made the decision, yes. Did I run the rig in a high traffic location and risk others life, no. I thank you for your obvious ass-u-mption as to where the the rig was located when the failure happened and for your questioning that location and I expressly appreciate your concern for the folks who were not harmed. I also thank you for exposing your capacity for helping those around you with uplifting advice and helpful wisdom for your fellow trail mates. We all lead by example. I'll no longer be asking for assistance from such a poltroon.

I further sincerely thank you for your assistance in locating a replacement steering column as per the original post. your consideration and attention to detail is appreciated,

To anyone else reading this thread… never weld the steering shaft on a street driven rig. There’s a reason the department of transportation won’t pass your rig if they are aware of it. It’s just not worth the risk IMHO

If you’re a certified and very experienced welder, yes it can be done and you will likely get away with it… but I wouldn’t on my rig.

If someone dies as a result, you’ll likely go to jail and your insurance will be void. Is it worth it to you? Certainly not to me.

Grinding flats on a 3/4” shaft to make it DD was super easy. Do it the right way or don’t do it at all.
Agreed. Lesson learned, the hard way. It's what we learn after the fact that matters, and whether we pass it along for others to know.

I'm thinking OP has learned his lesson and probably won't do that again. Additional poop piled on, no matter how richly deserved, is not helpful.
Pics of the broken shaft and awful welds may be though...
Thank you, and thank you.

:hmm:
I find this comment particularly ironic considering the crickets (and worse) I got for questioning welding on the shaft for electric power steering. :rolleyes:

I'll no longer be asking for assistance from such a poltroon.
A coward?....lol

Its a shame youre not half as handy with a welder as you are with the words.

Alot of bashing and no pics of said welds. OP clearly gets it, maybe try and improve the content instead of bashing each other. PM each other with the negative comments, have a wonderful day and don't put a rig with questionable/improper/failing steering on the road where it could kill, period. That said lets all remember anything can break at anytime. If the OP is inclined, pics of the temp fix that failed please.... ?

so you're viewing this as just a casual oops?.....on a trailer/towed trail only truck, sure, i would totally agree....however, it sounds like this is a street legal cruiser....in which case you deserve any and all s*** talk directed your way pertaining to thi

A coward?....lol

Its a shame youre not half as handy with a welder as you are with the words.
Ahh! I see your dictionary works, that’s good, that indicates progress. Maybe both of us have learned something through this little venture. It takes courage to admit your failures and open yourself up to criticism and not buckle under. The question to ask yourself now is whether or not you want to offer positive critiques? Your choice will determine how others perceive your character and respond to you. Again, we lead by example. Admitting the weld was bad and my own fault should have been enough.

In truth I have to agree with you about my metal burining abilities, but then again I never advertised myself as being a professional welder or even being semi-proficient at the trade. In fact, I even professed quite the opposite, again opening myself up to criticism. Sir, you have therefore again revealed your impeccable skills at observation and logical deduction. Impressive.

Peesalot, Bikersmurf, and Pighead are correct and I agree. I’m now moving on to other more productive ventures. Thank you for your time, it’s been a pleasure communicating with you.

My friend, I leave you with this piece of advice and a question to ask yourself:

Never wrestle with a pig. You’ll only get dirty but the pig will enjoy it.

Are you enjoying it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom