I ruined my '21 today with a lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not to defend Ironman but their coils are made in NZ,

However I agree with the rest. Ironman is crap and there is a reason they frequently have sales. Its because their profit margins are so high.

Montero/Pajero, Armada and Patrol guys all have issues with their coils.

Incorrectly cut and way too firm.

A shop here in town that sells IM says all parts are made in China and a product of Australia. Tells every one of their customers this. Some would come to me for extended links, upper control arms, panhard bars, rear adjustable arms and advise on what to do to correct the lifts.. In short; buy a different lift.

One of my favorites was a rear axle shifted over an inch to one side and a tire was rubbing the inner well (80 series customer) The shop told them once the springs settled the axle would shift back to center. Tire was ruined by the time I saw it.

Some of the product inconsistencies and reputation are from shops like this, but its all about selling as much as you can in the long run.

Last edited:
Always get UCAs when installing after market suspension systems. Only time I wouldn’t is when using the OEM spacers with stock suspension.

Also, you have a nice heritage edition, it deserves Kings or Dobinsons MRR in my opinion. I’d rip that crap out so fast after seeing it sit like that after install. Doesn’t even look safe.

A shop here in town that sells IM says all parts are made in China and a product of Australia. Tells everyone of their customers this. Some would come to me for extended links, uooer control arms, panhard bars, rear adjustable arms and advise on what to do to correct the lifts.. In short; buy a different lift.

One of my favorites was a rear axle shifted over an inch to one side and a tire was rubbing the inner well (80 series customer) The shop told them once the springs settled the axle would shift back to center. Tire was ruined by the time I saw it.

Some of the product inconsistencies and reputation are from shops like this, but its all about selling as much as you can in the long run.
Wow maybe they changed to further cut costs.

Either way they are lousy, I wouldn’t put it on anything

the amount of preload on the fronts is your issue. get in touch with Ironman and ask what the ratio is. Lower it .5" on the preload and see what that nets up front, the rear is good once you bring the front down

the amount of preload on the fronts is your issue. get in touch with Ironman and ask what the ratio is. Lower it .5" on the preload and see what that nets up front, the rear is good once you bring the front down

.5" preload will get about 1" ride height.

The rear is way too high, whether the front is also or not.

I must have misread, I thought he said it was under 24" to fender
I MIGHT be able to live with the rear if the fronts come down... maybe..
With the LRA 12.5 full and 100lbs against the tailgate it is still 3" higher than before. Before measurement was full LRA and no cargo.

It's high enough that if I keep it at this height, I will have to gat a bracket to relocate the rear track bar.
It has a definite wiggle in the rear going over bumps.

I actually put the rear springs on a few days before changing the front. Stink bug stance for sure, but drove fine except for the wiggle.

.5" preload will get about 1" ride height.

The rear is way too high, whether the front is also or not.
I'll bring down the fronts then drive it a bit.
If I don't like it (I suspect I won't) I'll take it back to factory.
Except with front spacers and either rear airbags or OME 2721s.

I've not heard negative things about the FCP's, just get the front height correct and swap back in stock springs with airbags and I'd imagine you'll be happy.

Stock suspension does have that cushy allure though...

Don't have the box anymore.

Here's my order as copied from my invoice.

Front Springs:2" Lift Medium Load (0-110LBS Additional Payload)
Rear Springs:2" Lift Medium Load (0-660LBS Additional Payload)
Pre-Built Coil Overs:pre-Built
Ok. I have the light load one inch springs in rear and two inch medium in front.

I've been very happy with the FCP on my rig. Slightly firmer than stock, but very comfortable on and offroad. Their customer service could be better, as well as their availability of parts (out of stock a lot).

Edit: i believe at one point, if not still the case, the same company makes Ironman, Tough Dog, Dobinson and more.

Last edited:
I'll bring down the fronts then drive it a bit.
If I don't like it (I suspect I won't) I'll take it back to factory.
Except with front spacers and either rear airbags or OME 2721s.
As a data point for your consideration, I’m running OME 2721 with a Slee rear, drawers w/ recovery gear and tools, Dometic CFX35 fridge and a 285/75r17 spare. My hub to fender measurement is ~22”.

IMG_0543.jpeg

Brought the lower spring seat down 1".
Went from 25 to 23.25 in the front both sides.
Much better, but still too high.

I have 5/8" thread showing below the lower lock ring.
I'll drop it down that much and see where I am.
There's still PLENTY of tension on the spring at full droop.

But I'm gonna wait 'till it cools off before diving back in.
Maybe wait 'till tomorrow morning.

Stock, the front was 19.5 driver and 20.5 pax.

I’m late to this party, but I had the Ironman FCP’s put on my LC this week.
I’m pretty happy with the ride. It’s certainly an improvement over the OE shocks and springs I had - but this isn’t fair since I was overloading those springs with all my extra weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom