I ruined my '21 today with a lift (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s weird you were hitting your bump stops driving around town with just the 12.5G Aux tank.
Do you have other significant and weighty mods?

I’m very curious about your issue since I’m contemplating a lift and worry that most of the springs I see are 2” minimum from stock.
I suspect with my factory suspension, I have sagged a bit due to weight so the “from stock” could end up being 3” from my current - and I don’t want a large lift like that.
Roads are horrible here. With no other weight, I actually only occasionally hit the stops. With 2 people in the 3rd row it was constantly bottoming out.
With no extra weight and the aux tank empty, the Cruiser sat perfectly level, but a little low on all corners. I never installed the front spacers I bought.
Anyway, I ordered some tools to adjust the lower spring seat down.
I'll report back.

IMG_6394.JPG
IMG_6396.JPG
IMG_6397.JPG
IMG_6399.JPG

CV shaft angle looks in spec.
I Can't understand why it drives like crap.

That much lift and no UCA’s. Look at the angle of the front wheels.
IMG_3105.jpeg

Positive camber for days.

At minimum, camber looks out of line
100% chance caster is too.

Even if OP backs out the front preload, the rear won't get any better.

Here are some pics of my setup.

Same truck, King 2.5’s and SPC UCA’s.

If you crank out height in the front you may still need UCA’s to get alignment in spec and improve the drive, I have only added OEM spacers without UCA’s, there should be several real world results on the forum.

Also, the rear will be much higher than the rear that spring that both lifts and is set up for more weight, in my opinion.

The 23” is to the front wheel center to give you an idea of lift amount on mine.

IMG_9194.jpeg

IMG_9191.jpeg

IMG_9190.jpeg

IMG_9189.jpeg

Last edited:
CV angle pics, I am not crazy about mine, but it rides and drives spectacularly with 295/70/18’s

I may still lower mine some in the front slightly if I start driving it more, I have lighter rear springs and Air Bags for the rear and will try and keep it level with the big LRA tank.

IMG_9196.jpeg
IMG_9195.jpeg

Here is a picture of the rear, probably less than 10 gallons in the LRA. I am changing out these rear springs for lighter, these are the heaviest OME’s.
IMG_9197.jpeg

Those measurements are with a full 12.5 gal LRA and two 50lb bags of fertilizer against the rear tailgate.
3/4 full main tank, no driver or pax.

Ironman is know for inconsistent spring heights for years. I have refused to work on rigs with their springs or install their products.

I've seen as much as a 2.75" variance in height from right to left. 2" light springs yielding 4" or better lifts on heavy rigs.

Chinesium CRAP............ no quality control.

Last edited:
I have the 12.5 AUX tank also.
You don't need anything additional with the 12.5 because with gas it's similar weight to an adult male passenger.
Standard gallon of gas is 6 pounds.
That's roughly 72 pounds of gasoline plus the weight of the tank itself.
The LRA tank weighs maybe 130lbs?

No real need for upgraded suspension when you're only carrying an additional 200-250lbs.

Lots of good advice here.

If you just want to accommodate the LRA, cargo, and occasional third row passengers and aren’t planning on adding UCA’s, tires etc. I personally would go back to stock suspension, add OEM spacers in the front and airbags in the rear that you can adjust when necessary.

Ironman is know for inconsistent spring heights for years. I have refused to work on rigs with their springs or install their products.

I've seen as much as a 2.75" variance in height from right to left. 2" light springs yielding 4" or better lifts on heavy rigs.

Not to defend Ironman but their coils are made in NZ,

However I agree with the rest. Ironman is crap and there is a reason they frequently have sales. Its because their profit margins are so high.

Montero/Pajero, Armada and Patrol guys all have issues with their coils.

Incorrectly cut and way too firm.

Not to defend Ironman but their coils are made in NZ,

However I agree with the rest. Ironman is crap and there is a reason they frequently have sales. Its because their profit margins are so high.

Montero/Pajero, Armada and Patrol guys all have issues with their coils.

Incorrectly cut and way too firm.
Which is a shame.
Their leaf springs for my Troopy were perfect! Improved the ride immensely and set a near exact +50mm on each corner.

Yup.
I'll try adjusting because it's way easier, but I suspect I'll ditch the coils.
Leafs on my Troopy are super!
Shocks too!

If adjusting the front works, maybe 2721s in back? Or factory and airbags?

Not to turn this into a review thread for the company, but what surprised me is the inconsistency in recommendations. When I was looking for a coilover setup for my LC, every interaction with them would provide a different setup recommendation (with/without UCAs, different height/weight, etc) based on my unchanged use needs.

To the OP, personally I would investigate what other brand springs can work with those shocks and match them accordingly. Otherwise return to stock suspension with OEM coil spacer and call it a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom