I ruined my '21 today with a lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nuclearbeef

SILVER Star
Threads
After installing the 12.5 LRA tank, I was hitting the bump stops way more often than I wanted.
No other weight added to the truck.
And that's driving the streets of Memphis.

Bought a 2" Ironman FCP kit with the softest springs. (0-440 extra pounds) Just springs and shocks, no UCAs as they said they were not needed for only 2" lift.
Finally got around to installing it today in the 100* heat.

Rear lifted 4" both sides.
Front lifted 4" pax and 5.25" driver's side.

It is completely undriveable! took it around the block thinking it might settle the springs in. It didn't.
I was afraid to get over 20mph.
even had a death wobble!
rides like a tractor with no suspension travel at all.

I feel there's no way the springs will relax enough to go back to a 2" lift so that it can be aligned with factory UCAs.
Definitely ditching the springs.

Should I:

1) Go back to stock everything and add helper airbags?

B) Go back to factory springs, FCP shocks and helper airbags?

III) Order some more suitable springs (no idea what kind), FCP shocks and maybe airbag or not?

I liked the factory ride A LOT!
I went with Ironman on the strength of the kit I got for the Troopy. VERY satisfied with the Troopy kit.

I'm not familiar with Ironman's but that's pretty incredible that it lifted 4"?

Is it possible you didn't torque the primary suspension links with the vehicle fully sitting on the ground? Don't want to torque the bushings with the suspension in droop as that will cause the bushing to be bind at ride height.

I'm not familiar with Ironman's but that's pretty incredible that it lifted 4"?

Is it possible you didn't torque the primary suspension links with the vehicle fully sitting on the ground? Don't want to torque the bushings with the suspension in droop as that will cause the bushing to be bind at ride height.
Nope.
Waited until it was on the ground before tightening anything with a bush.

Ironman has been known to to base their springs off the diesel variants of the 200 series. I would confirm with them they sent you the correct ones and are in fact specced for a Petrol 200 series
Likely won't matter at this point.
I painted them. Couldn't stand that awful green.

I got the kit when it was on a big sale. Pretty much got the shocks and springs for the price of the shocks only.
I'm not very invested in the springs, emotionally or financially.

Likely won't matter at this point.
I painted them. Couldn't stand that awful green.

I got the kit when it was on a big sale. Pretty much got the shocks and springs for the price of the shocks only.
I'm not very invested in the springs, emotionally or financially.
I understand but it would good to confirm so they can understand what the underlying problem is.

I am fan of King springs from Australia for their progressive rate.

OME is also a good choice or Lovells

Just get air bags with stock suspension
This is what I ended up doing. It worked out great and if it somehow goes sideways I just yank 'em out and return to square one.

Since your added weight is relatively static I’d consider OME 2720s or 2721s plus the OE spacer in front.

Since your added weight is relatively static I’d consider OME 2720s or 2721s plus the OE spacer in front.
Thanks!
Relatively static. Empty to full weight for the tank changes @ 75 lbs.

Thanks!
Relatively static. Empty to full weight for the tank changes @ 75 lbs.
I had the stage 2 2” FCP kit installed with medium heavy in front (ironman bumper, winch, and bigger battery) and medium in back, and UCA’s. Height is perfect and I like the ride, great off-road and planted on the street a little bit firmer than stock. I remember reading somewhere on here that someone had a similar problem as you…seem to remember being something about the pre-built coilovers.

I had the stage 2 2” FCP kit installed with medium heavy in front (ironman bumper, winch, and bigger battery) and medium in back, and UCA’s. Height is perfect and I like the ride, great off-road and planted on the street a little bit firmer than stock. I remember reading somewhere on here that someone had a similar problem as you…seem to remember being something about the pre-built coilovers.
Hmmm...
I did get them pre-built.
Maybe I could back way off the preload.

Hmmm...
I did get them pre-built.
Maybe I could back way off the preload.
Back your preload all the way off and see what that does. Check the spring part numbers on the coils match what you actually ordered. Tough dog had me riding on heavy springs for 3 months before I checked an realized that wasn’t what was ordered.

Also a 75# variance on a LRA is insignificant. That’s less than a person in the back seat.

Airbags and a coil spacer would have probably made you really happy

Ironman fronts all have the same spring rate, just longer springs. You change preload to adjust height. I have the 2" medium in front at spec preload and 1 inch rear light along with the Ironman bumper and bud sliders and it gave me about 1 in front and 1.5 in back. Weird it lifted your rear so much. Do you still have the box with p/n?

Ironman fronts all have the same spring rate, just longer springs. You change preload to adjust height. I have the 2" medium in front at spec preload and 1 inch rear light along with the Ironman bumper and bud sliders and it gave me about 1 in front and 1.5 in back. Weird it lifted your rear so much. Do you still have the box with p/n?
Don't have the box anymore.

Here's my order as copied from my invoice.

Front Springs:2" Lift Medium Load (0-110LBS Additional Payload)
Rear Springs:2" Lift Medium Load (0-660LBS Additional Payload)
Pre-Built Coil Overs:pre-Built

It’s weird you were hitting your bump stops driving around town with just the 12.5G Aux tank.
Do you have other significant and weighty mods?

I’m very curious about your issue since I’m contemplating a lift and worry that most of the springs I see are 2” minimum from stock.
I suspect with my factory suspension, I have sagged a bit due to weight so the “from stock” could end up being 3” from my current - and I don’t want a large lift like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom